Catalonia

Whitburn Vale

I saw some news footage of pro spain marches in catalonia, in similar vain to the folks from the no camp who attended george square after the ref it was all nazis salutes and far right carry on however much the bbc tried to shift away each time a nazis salute was given.

The only No stuff I saw in Barcelona was from the Far Right.

3 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

Going to the definition of seperatist that was implied earlier...

" a person who supports the separation of a particular group of people from a larger body on the basis of ethnicity, religion, or gender. "

I guess that it is a wrong term to use after all. I see nothing wrong with Nationalist. I think the problem with it being used in SNP is that it's not actually what SNP stands for. But I don't think anyone takes that as an insult very seriously or even notices tbh.

Good for you. And for those of us who do have issue with being called nationalists? 

'Separatist' is very obviously used to try and subtly dig at people who support independence. I don't think I've ever seen independence supporters use that term to describe themselves.

It's kind of unfortunate that 'Nationalist' is the default term for people who support independence. I don't like the term as "Scottish Nationalism" has as little to do with nationalism as Scottish Unionism does.

Edited by Gordon EF

'Separatist' is very obviously used to try and subtly dig at people who support independence. I don't think I've ever seen independence supporters use that term to describe themselves.
It's kind of unfortunate that 'Nationalist' is the default term for people who support independence. I don't like the term as "Scottish Nationalism" has as little to do with nationalism that Scottish Unionism.

“British Nationalist” carries even more baggage

1 minute ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

“British Nationalist” carries even more baggage

Yep, and it's a term that could as easily apply to Unionists as 'Scottish Nationalist' does to independence supporters. None of them seem to fancy it much though.

Just now, lichtgilphead said:

I note that you had to use an American English dictionary to find a definition that suited your argument. 

That colors my view of how honorable your intentions are here.  

Someone else quoted another dictionary to find the definition they wanted first. Like the rest of the world I hadn't taken the word "separatist" to be a derogatory term, just descriptive. And I don't think every BBC headline writer is on a mission to undermine the SNP even in a story about Catalonia/Spain.

Someone else quoted another dictionary to find the definition they wanted first. Like the rest of the world I hadn't taken the word "separatist" to be a derogatory term, just descriptive. And I don't think every BBC headline writer is on a mission to undermine the SNP even in a story about Catalonia/Spain.

Sorry to say it, but yes they are, and have been doing it for four years now

14 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I think the BBC Scotland's stories when there have been are fairly informed.  The BBC network news is a little bit lacking in depth in my view and has been for a while.  Doesn't seem to get past much more than the constitutional line and very little examination of the debate around what should be or shouldn't be illegal.   Simply saying "Spanish authorities say it is illegal".  Yes everyone already knows this but we could be doing with more depth of the arguments from within Catalonia too between the different parties.  How was the last election fought there?  Who agrees with what?

If you read the articles there is a clear line being taken.  While not completely wrong, it lacks depth and different perspectives.

Whether that has anything to do with Scotland, I don't know.  It's probably more a UK-ESP-EU consideration, I would imagine if it was anything.

I think the BBC Scotland's stories when there have been are fairly informed.  The BBC network news is a little bit lacking in depth in my view and has been for a while.  Doesn't seem to get past much more than the constitutional line and very little examination of the debate around what should be or shouldn't be illegal.   Simply saying "Spanish authorities say it is illegal".  Yes everyone already knows this but we could be doing with more depth of the arguments from within Catalonia too between the different parties.  How was the last election fought there?  Who agrees with what?
If you read the articles there is a clear line being taken.  While not completely wrong, it lacks depth and different perspectives.
Whether that has anything to do with Scotland, I don't know.  It's probably more a UK-ESP-EU consideration, I would imagine if it was anything.

It's no UK, Spain, EU thing, its the bbc guilty by association, vile separatists line as per usual. If you're interested search the internet for the disreporting Scotland headline sequence that linked Michelle Thomson to a judge handing down a verdict. Pure unadulterated SNPbad in typical BBC style.