Catalonia

Whitburn Vale

On 10/14/2017 at 01:18, welshbairn said:

Catalonia is not an accepted territorial space, Catalonian political parties campaign in regions of Spain outside the Autonomous Region of Catalonia that they claim as their own, including the Balearic Islands.They also claim parts of France. The mix of populations in Barcelona is not unlike that of Brussels.

Come on now.  Yes of course some people think otherwise but the generally accepted view is the region as known today.   Noone wants to complicate it with the views of some with little support.  yes, probably the CUP or the weird marxist group you mentioned before would say it but that's not the norm.  As to the CUP it's not what they are requesting now anyway.  The french terriotires is a curiosity for Catalans.  

I wouldn't expect Scotland to claim the Isle of Man but i'm sure some people think they should but it's not serious.

Vast majority of people accept the border as it is now and that's all that is being requested.   

of course Barcelona is an international city and long may it continue.  

Edited by tirso

On 10/14/2017 at 11:22, Ad Lib said:

They campaign there but they do not claim that those territories are part of the unit that should secede following a Yes vote in a referendum. This is a bit like saying France and Germany shouldn’t be independent because Alsace and Lorraine exists.

Brussels is an issue because there is no satisfactory way to divide it and because it is in many respects itself governed separately from either the Flemish or Walloon territories. The Balearic Islands and areas of Spain are defined as outside the territory’s of Catalonia, defined by constitutional provincial boundaries. All autonomous communities including that of Catalonia are definitionally territorially clear and stable. In Catalonia’s case it even uses boundaries upon which the Spanish Republic relied even long before the rise of Franco.

absolutely correct.  It's border is not in dispute by serious people.  Can't really say more.

Of course Valencia is considered close and will be on TV.  The historic countries are of interest but noone serious would take them over as part of new country.  Its a speaking thing.  If you wanted to watch BBC Alba from Donegal it's not like Ireland is taking over the UK.  

Just back from holiday, went into Barcelona as well as stopping in a few Spanish cities. Barcelona was, on the face of it, quite quiet but there were a huge number of Catalan flags and 'Si' posters on balconies etc as well as graffiti over anything that said 'Espanyol'. Felt a bit weird actually, the city was carrying on as normal but it just felt like there was something bubbling.

It was also quite evident in other parts of Spain that any house, flat or shop that owned a Spain flag had it on display for all to see. Asked the local guide if it was in response to the situation in Catalonia and he responded 'What is Catalonia? There is only Spain.' Ooft.

31 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Me too, the odd Spanish flag hanging from windows in Seville and Cordoba but nothing like England before a World Cup.

They were very prominent in Cadiz, but I was there only 2 days after the vote.

15 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

I'd imagine a Scot who knew nothing about politics wouldn't realise anything was happening politically in catalonia? Save for some si posters ( though there's still plenty of Yes ones in Scotland 3 years after the votr)

The day after I was in Barcelona, on what felt like a normal day, there was apparently (according to the BBC...) a massive pro-Spain rally. I found that very surprising given the complete absence (from what I saw) of anything pro-Spanish when I was there, but you're right. If you ignore the political side of things, it just seems like a colourful, flag-filled city, you really wouldn't know what had happened in the days before. 

Two members of the Catalan Independence movement have been ordered to be jailed for sedition.

Maybe ordered by an "independent" court but doing so with the full support of the Spanish government no doubt.  Seems like they would prefer conflict rather than dialogue.

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

...Seems like they would prefer conflict rather than dialogue.

Their calculation is probably that dialogue ultimately leads to only one outcome and that they need to hold the line on the constitutional position of Spain being indivisible as they hold all the aces in that scenario. Hope I'm wrong.

7 hours ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

They were very prominent in Cadiz, but I was there only 2 days after the vote.

The day after I was in Barcelona, on what felt like a normal day, there was apparently (according to the BBC...) a massive pro-Spain rally. I found that very surprising given the complete absence (from what I saw) of anything pro-Spanish when I was there, but you're right. If you ignore the political side of things, it just seems like a colourful, flag-filled city, you really wouldn't know what had happened in the days before. 

Was in  Cadiz earlier today. Lots of Spanish flags hanging from balconies and windows. First time I have been so I don't know if this is normal.