Catalonia

Whitburn Vale

9 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

In English please? Supreme Court legitimising referendum; or just that they can use council finances?

It's fucking obvious m8..

http://www.naciodigital.cat/noticia/138605/suprem/admet/recurs/govern/deixa/sense/efecte/intervencio/caixa/generalitat

Actually I google translated the link above and still don't remotely understand what it means.

I take it to mean the Spanish government is not allowed to take over Catalonia's finances. So a goal for the Catalans.

Plenty of pics on twitter today of tanks and APCs being moved into the region. Totally insane.

A sane government would say "by all means have your referendum, but don't expect us to take any notice, as it has no legal basis whatever. oh, and not one penny of our money will be sent to plug any resulting holes in your budget. Enjoy your day out, but nothing will change".

Threatening the devolution settlement and police / military sabre rattling really is crazy stuff. The EU is deafeningly quiet. The SNP's response, beyond the ranks of youthful activists and student groups, has also been very, very muted.

15 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

The SNP's response, beyond the ranks of youthful activists and student groups, has also been very, very muted.

The SNP have no power to help Catalonian independence and it would seriously damage our position vis-a- vis the EU if we tried to intervene. It's also got zero to do with us, most of whom don't have a clue about the complexities and nuances of what's going on, including myself. The last time volunteers from here got involved in Spanish politics all it accomplished was probably extending the Civil War and slaughter for a month or so.

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The SNP have no power to help Catalonian independence and it would seriously damage our position vis-a- vis the EU if we tried to intervene. It's also got zero to do with us, most of whom don't have a clue about the complexities and nuances of what's going on, including myself. The last time volunteers from here got involved in Spanish politics all it accomplished was probably extending the Civil War and slaughter for a month or so.

Pretty much this.  The SNP if asked should take a leaf out of Spain's book when asked about UK/Scotland relations and just say "it is a matter for the Spanish and Catalonians to decide".  Nothing more.  Anything else would be stupid.  

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

who on earth is talking about "volunteers from here getting involved in Spanish politics"?

you're just being a contrarian for the sake of it.

of course the SNP can do nothing and should not intervene directly, I just expected a slightly more sympathetic / less frosty tone in the official statement. Not like it's a big deal or anything. Suspect the opinions of Scots are about 123rd on Catalonia's top three priority list at present.

I take it to mean the Spanish government is not allowed to take over Catalonia's finances. So a goal for the Catalans.
Plenty of pics on twitter today of tanks and APCs being moved into the region. Totally insane.
A sane government would say "by all means have your referendum, but don't expect us to take any notice, as it has no legal basis whatever. oh, and not one penny of our money will be sent to plug any resulting holes in your budget. Enjoy your day out, but nothing will change".
Threatening the devolution settlement and police / military sabre rattling really is crazy stuff. The EU is deafeningly quiet. The SNP's response, beyond the ranks of youthful activists and student groups, has also been very, very muted.

https://news.gov.scot/news/statement-on-catalonia