Catalonia

Whitburn Vale

18 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

So, obviously the UK would (without hesitation) also veto Catalonia joining the EU? I don't recall Westminster making this announcement. Please provide details.

I do, however, recall Spanish politicians stating that the legal break-up of the UK was a matter for the UK, and they wouldn't oppose Scottish membership of the EU 

For example, here's a link to a recent article in the Guardian (that well known SNP mouthpiece) 

Guardian Article 2nd April 2017

Selected quotes:

Spain has said it would not veto an attempt by an independent Scotland to join the EU, in a boost to Nicola Sturgeon’s campaign for a second independence referendum... ...Alfonso Dastis, the Spanish foreign minister, made it clear that the government would not block an independent Scotland’s EU hopes... ...Asked directly whether Spain would veto an independent Scotland joining the EU, Dastis said: “No, we wouldn’t.”... ...Madrid is keen not to fuel Catalonia’s desire for independence. “We don’t want it [Scottish independence] to happen,” he said. “But if it happens legally and constitutionally, we would not block it. 

Why?  What makes this

a) obvious and ;

b) something that I would need to provide details on given that you are the one that specifically brought the UK into it.

There is a vast difference between Spain's attitude to Catalonia and the UK's to Scotland.  Just look at their threats today regarding taking financial control of the region that Madrid has made.

As for the rest of your post, I am not sure what relevance Spain's position regarding Scotland has to do with my post.  It is even more irrelevant to the topic title than the one you replied to yesterday but batter on.

What a fucking mess.

No idea why Spain don't just let this play out. They would likely win any advisory referendum and if they didn't the path to independence via the legal constitutional route is so convoluted it would never be ratified.

The Catalans may declare UDI but without international recognition what will that amount to?

Say what you like about the UK, and I often do, the Edinburgh Agreement was the sign of a mature confident democracy.

17 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Why would they not have international recognition?

Because, to take the EU as just one example.

1. The legal argument - the EU has a duty to respect and maintain the territorial integrity of its member states.

2. The realpolitik argument - the EU has no legal power to recognise a new state that has not been first recognised by the parent state even if it decided it wanted to

Yet the EU has recognised plenty former Soviet and Yugoslav states.
And of course international recognition for Catalonia does not hinge on the EU.

Didn't realise the boys Tito and Stalin were forceful advocates and members of the European Community.

13 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Yet the EU has recognised plenty former Soviet and Yugoslav states.

And of course international recognition for Catalonia does not hinge on the EU.

Erm... you do know the Soviet Union wasn't in the EU?

EU recognition would be the single most important one to Catalonia, more than UN, more than NATO countries,more than the federated states of Micronesia.

Catalonia's agricultural subsidies would still be paid to Madrid, Spain would be the country through which your EU rights would be recognised, it is the Spanish courts that would be the courts of first appeal to rely on those rights, it would be Spanish passports that allow freedom of movement, it would be Spanish registration that give their companies access to tariff free trade, it would be Spain and the EU who would negotiate trade agreements with third parties.

I would be fascinated to hear what you think "independence" for Catalonia looks like whilst the EU sees Spain as the member state in that territory.

If you don't want to hear that it's your prerogative but I imagine people in Barcelona will be taking it a bit more seriously.