Catalonia

Whitburn Vale

8 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Did an unofficial vote not happen couple of years back with a mass boycott? Why is this one different?

I think the previous referendum was held to demonstrate support, presumably to try and get Spain to play ball.  If the result is Yes this time, then Catalonia will actually declare independence.

1 Million reported to have took to the streets in Barcelona yesterday for Catalonia's national day and in support of holding the referendum.

Seems to be geographically split,on the coast their pro spain while further inland is pro independence.

Catalannews agency.com or Catalannews.com is a good site for info on whats going on down there.

Edited by Whitburn Vale

1 Million reported to have took to the streets in Barcelona yesterday for Catalonia's national day and in support of holding the referendum.
Seems to be geographically split,on the coast their pro spain while further inland is pro independence.
Catalannews agency.com or Catalannews.com is a good site for info on whats going on down there.

Was Mr Pescado there?

23 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Isn't the most recent sentiment still largely fueled by the pro/anti Franco stance taken in different parts of Spain?  Certainly there was massive suppression in Catalonia though they were certainly not the only region where this happened.

I've been going to Barcelona at least once a year for the past 10 years and whilst I do not venture outwith the central areas much I have still noticed growing visible support for the Catalan cause.

Ah the 'there's loads of posters so yes must win' theory. 

What puzzles me is why the No side aren't boycotting an illegal vote 

24 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Because Catalans value their right to determine whether they are independent or not. Even those who support the union value their democratic right to choose.

Unlike some Britnat zoomers in this country that would prefer not to have a voice just in case they lost the vote.

1 minute ago, Double Jack D said:

Because Catalans value their right to determine whether they are independent or not. Even those who support the union value their democratic right to choose.

Unlike some Britnat zoomers in this country that would prefer not to have a voice just in case they lost the vote.

That's all very well and good but when every country in the world won't recognise Catalonia as a state in its own right, the new 'state' would be screwed.

Spain would be wise to grant the referendum imo though. 

7 hours ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Far more people live near the coast I would have thought. Sounds like Brexit where the major centres of population voted remain and smaller towns and rural voters went for leave.

18 hours ago, sparky88 said:

My post neither said nor implied that.  You must have poor reading and/or interpretation skills.

10 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Looks like they're going to shitebag it.

There is a difference between shitebagging it and being in financial ruin (see the 2015 turmoil). I still can't see this SNP vision of independence bliss but being beholden to Brussels, to which they'll hand back all their powers. Their's is a statement of Westminster NO, Brussels Oh YEH!

the

9 minutes ago, glassnahalf said:

There is a difference between shitebagging it and being in financial ruin (see the 2015 turmoil). I still can't see this SNP vision of independence bliss but being beholden to Brussels, to which they'll hand back all their powers. Their's is a statement of Westminster NO, Brussels Oh YEH!

the

Mcspreader here, again.