South-east Asia - Inspire me

Guest JTS98

I loved HCM city...it's certainly in your face but full of activity and energy, the polar opposite of where I am now. The mass of motorcycles/mopeds requires some getting used to when crossing roads but adds to the whole feeling. It reminds me of how Bangkok used to be (and still is in some places)20 or so years ago.

The thing with the traffic in Ho Chi Minh is is organised chaos and quite easy to maneuver around once you are used to it. Im sure the OP having lived where he has before will have few issues.

Throbber is correct about the buses and as long as your familiar with driving bikes, it's the best mode of transport and is great taking off around HCM (Cu Chi/Mekong) as within 1/2 hour your out the city and in the country.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing with the traffic in Ho Chi Minh is is organised chaos and quite easy to manoiver around once you are used to it. Im sure the OP having lived where he has before will have few issues.

Throbber is correct about the buses abd as long as your familiar with driving bikes, it's the best mode of transport and is great taking off around HCM (Cu Chi/Mekong) as within 1/2 hour your out the city and in the country.

Yep...with the traffic there, it's kinda like a dance, everything just flows around everything else - as long as everyone is dancing to the same tune it works. Somehow!

7 hours ago, hk blues said:

I loved HCM city...it's certainly in your face but full of activity and energy, the polar opposite of where I am now. The mass of motorcycles/mopeds requires some getting used to when crossing roads but adds to the whole feeling. It reminds me of how Bangkok used to be (and still is in some places)20 or so years ago.

Don't get me wrong, i had a great time there and have fond memories of the place but was an almighty shock when we first got there and were used to Australia and New Zealand. Was pretty stressful to say the least! I thought Hanoi was going to be similar but it was a much more pleasant place to visit IMO. Think we took a 12 hour train from Mu Ne to Da Nang which wasn't too bad but we then decided to fly up to Hanoi to see Ha Long Bay which was a far better option.

Don't get me wrong, i had a great time there and have fond memories of the place but was an almighty shock when we first got there and were used to Australia and New Zealand. Was pretty stressful to say the least! I thought Hanoi was going to be similar but it was a much more pleasant place to visit IMO. Think we took a 12 hour train from Mu Ne to Da Nang which wasn't too bad but we then decided to fly up to Hanoi to see Ha Long Bay which was a far better option.

I'm not a fan of travelling within countries at the best of times, whether it be by plane, train or automobile. I'm more of a one- place only traveller - I don't mind flying between 2 countries on a trip, but less inclined to do the same within.

Strangely, Australia and New Zealand have never been on my to-do list.

Decided to go for KL to Bangkok overland. Stopping off at Penang, Langkawi, as yet undecided Island X in Thailand, Hua Hin, Bangkok.

Been to all of these places (except Island X) before, so know what I'm getting. Lack of inspiration led to playing it safe.

Looking forward to a break from Korea and the Koreans.

Heading to Bangkok and Koh Samui for 10 days next Saturday with the wife (and Dubai for a few days on the way back). Never been to SE Asia so really looking forward to it. Going to do the floating markets in Bangkok and got a couple of boat trips (catamaran daytrip and a meal on a junker at night) and a forest zip line half-day booked for Koh Samui. Likely just wing it otherwise, but is there anything we should definitely see / do whilst we're in either? 

Bangkok - Grand Palace, Chat a Chat Weekend Market, klong cruise of some description, Pat Pong for the experience, backpackers street (can never remember the name) for the experience.

Koh Samui - it's been 20 years since I went - I'd guess it's unrecognisable now.

You'll have a ball.

12 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Heading to Bangkok and Koh Samui for 10 days next Saturday with the wife (and Dubai for a few days on the way back). Never been to SE Asia so really looking forward to it. Going to do the floating markets in Bangkok and got a couple of boat trips (catamaran daytrip and a meal on a junker at night) and a forest zip line half-day booked for Koh Samui. Likely just wing it otherwise, but is there anything we should definitely see / do whilst we're in either? 

If you like live music, get to The Saxophone near Victory Monument while in Bangkok. I always make a night for it when I'm there.

On 9/12/2017 at 16:07, JTS98 said:

Decided to go for KL to Bangkok overland. Stopping off at Penang, Langkawi, as yet undecided Island X in Thailand, Hua Hin, Bangkok.

Been to all of these places (except Island X) before, so know what I'm getting. Lack of inspiration led to playing it safe.

Looking forward to a break from Korea and the Koreans.

KL to Bangkok on the train is a ball-ache. I'd much rather the 40 minute flights to Penang or Langkawi. But then I am getting old...

Probably won't fit in with your train plan but Koh Lipe is nice. I went west coast island hopping last Christmas (Langkawi to Phuket) and really enjoyed it. Looking back I would  have stayed there the whole time actually. Nothing much to do but a nice place to relax. Bout 90 minutes on the boat from Langawai. 

East coast of Thailand will be more lively. Samui, Koh Phangnan and Tao would then bring you nicely back to Trumpton (or whatever its called again) for the train to Bangkok. Be aware though that Christmas is rainy season for the east of Thailand. 

Don't listen to these dafties. In Bangkok get yourself down Nana Plaza. Khao San Road is the one for backpackers. 

Whatever you decide to do though you'll love it. 

12 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

If you like live music, get to The Saxophone near Victory Monument while in Bangkok. I always make a night for it when I'm there.

I forgot about that place. Tucked in the corner of a small square that had various food stalls - almost right next to the monument -  if i recall correctly?

1 minute ago, Booker_d said:

KL to Bangkok on the train is a ball-ache. I'd much rather the 40 minute flights to Penang or Langkawi. But then I am getting old...

Probably won't fit in with your train plan but Koh Lipe is nice. I went west coast island hopping last Christmas (Langkawi to Phuket) and really enjoyed it. Looking back I would  have stayed there the whole time actually. Nothing much to do but a nice place to relax. Bout 90 minutes on the boat from Langawai. 

East coast of Thailand will be more lively. Samui, Koh Phangnan and Tao would then bring you nicely back to Trumpton (or whatever its called again) for the train to Bangkok. Be aware though that Christmas is rainy season for the east of Thailand. 

Don't listen to these dafties. In Bangkok get yourself down Nana Plaza. Khao San Road is the one for backpackers. 

Whatever you decide to do though you'll love it. 

Khao San...that's the one. Had a few good nights there having a beer and watching the world go by.

Not such a fan of Nana Plaza...prefer the touristy feel of Pat Pong. It's all crap, I know, but a bit of harmless fun. Unless one of the 'artistes' hits you in the eye with a dart propelled from her you know what!

Just now, hk blues said:

Khao San...that's the one. Had a few good nights there having a beer and watching the world go by.

Not such a fan of Nana Plaza...prefer the touristy feel of Pat Pong. It's all crap, I know, but a bit of harmless fun. Unless one of the 'artistes' hits you in the eye with a dart propelled from her you know what!

Yeah Khao San is a really good place just for sitting and people watching and chatting to random strangers over a few beers.

Nana is fine the ground and first floor. Seems to get worse the higher you go though. I get what you mean though. I personally don't like Patpong because the goods the markets are selling are about a quarter of the price if you go to MBK. Just a personal bugbear though. 

Just now, Booker_d said:

Yeah Khao San is a really good place just for sitting and people watching and chatting to random strangers over a few beers.

Nana is fine the ground and first floor. Seems to get worse the higher you go though. I get what you mean though. I personally don't like Patpong because the goods the markets are selling are about a quarter of the price if you go to MBK. Just a personal bugbear though. 

Never ventured above the 1st floor of Nana, thought it stank a bit but then again, looking at the clientelle it would! 

Agree about Pat Pong night market, and MBK is the place to go for the shopping.  I used to go to the Irish bar, O'Reillys, there (Pat Pong) for a bit of normality, or the Mexican? on the corner of the main drag. Chat a Chat is fun, but not necessarily that cheap.

Love Bangkok.

If you have never been to SE Asia before just be prepared for how hot and humid Bangkok is, it's not exactly an easy place to just stroll around and go sight seeing like what you might be used to. Also if you stand about looking lost then people may try and scam you into the back of a tuk tuk which will take you to a tourist destination or two before forcing you to go into an expensive jewellery shop or such like. Not trying to sound pessimistic about the place but it happens to lots of people and they are incredibly pushy about it so if someone comes and offers you assistance when you're looking lost they probably aren't doing it out of the goodness of their heart.

Samui is excellent though, as well as the Giant Buddha and the elephant rides you can also visit the Grandmother and Grandfather rock which is a must. I remember eating at a Brazilian place there called Zico's as well which was one of the best meals I have ever had. The street food there is great as well for nights when you don't want to spend too much.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

If you have never been to SE Asia before just be prepared for how hot and humid Bangkok is, it's not exactly an easy place to just stroll around and go sight seeing like what you might be used to. Also if you stand about looking lost then people may try and scam you into the back of a tuk tuk which will take you to a tourist destination or two before forcing you to go into an expensive jewellery shop or such like. Not trying to sound pessimistic about the place but it happens to lots of people and they are incredibly pushy about it so if someone comes and offers you assistance when you're looking lost they probably aren't doing it out of the goodness of their heart.

Samui is excellent though, as well as the Giant Buddha and the elephant rides you can also visit the Grandmother and Grandfather rock which is a must. I remember eating at a Brazilian place there called Zico's as well which was one of the best meals I have ever had. The street food there is great as well for nights when you don't want to spend too much.

This is fair advice. Try not to look lost or like it's your first time there. Never tell anyone who asks you that it's your first time in town. Always say you've been loads of times, know the place like the back of your hand.

Never let tuk tuk drivers take you to shops of their choosing etc. The Bangkok scams are widely available on the internet, but you'll probably be fine. Enjoy.

It's incredibly easy to fall into their trap. Me and the mrs were walking about totally lost and got suckered into it, a guy saw us and was giving us what seemed like friendly advice but just firing words and information at us that we didn't properly understand and we ended up just agreeing with him out of politeness and we went in a tuk tuk, the guy took us to a few cool locations in fairness but then demanded we went into a shop to get a tailor made suit. He properly shouted at us to go in as well and it was rather concerning at the time. I wouldn't worry too much about it but don't go there thinking it's an easy place to just go for a stroll.

I would recommend seeing Koh Tao if you can as well, i preferred it to Samui but there is less to do.

What colour of suit did your missus get?

We walked in to the shop hoping we could just look around and then leave but we were immediately queried about what we wanted etc before making a sharp exit after it became clear we weren't interested in buying anything. It was seriously fucking awkward. Pushy b*****ds.

I take it you got forced into this carpet shop somehow? Would be very odd for you to go to a foreign country and want to buy a carpet. Not sure what backpacker would go anywhere and want a suit either tbh but a carpet is an entire new level of crazy.

Archived