Breakfast thread

ICTChris

2 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Don't leave the house without having a bowl of cereal in the morning. Sets you up just great for the day ahead. Weetos or coco pops are my favourite (big kid I know) but Frosties, sheeddies, weetabix all do the trick.

If me and the wife ever have a weekend/night away somewhere it's always the breakfast I look forward too. Can't beat a cooked breakfast in a hotel, preferably buffet style so I can fill my fat belly with as much as I like!

Someone else can get this.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a load of cod liver oil capsules but haven't taken yet. Any side effects? How good does my diet need to be?

Nah no side effects. Supposed to be good for the joints etc. I take them as I want the omega 3 essential fats in my diet and it slows down the absorption of the protein to keep me fuller longer before I eat again about 3 hours later (9am)

You wouldn't notice any difference either way taking them I don't think but your body needs the fats in them and we usually consume too few omega 3s so that's why you should supplement(or eat oily fish)

My missus reckons her hairs in better nick when she takes them but as I get a 3 all over and am receding at a rate of knots I couldn't comment. [emoji106]

1 minute ago, throbber said:

Mackerel in the morning is seriously odd behaviour. If I wanted to taste fish at that time in the morning I would just venture into the laundry basket.

You should try it throbber, it'll unlock a key to a dimension you never knew existed.

You should try it throbber, it'll unlock a key to a dimension you never knew existed.

I eat a fair bit of mackerel when I can but never before lunch time.

Usually just have eggs/whole meal bread and a smoothie myself.

Would you not be better eating some mackerel first thing rather than messing about with fish oil tablets?

Other fish is availble.  I've always fancied learning to make kedgeree or having my own kippers.

Nah no side effects. Supposed to be good for the joints etc. I take them as I want the omega 3 essential fats in my diet and it slows down the absorption of the protein to keep me fuller longer before I eat again about 3 hours later (9am)

You wouldn't notice any difference either way taking them I don't think but your body needs the fats in them and we usually consume too few omega 3s so that's why you should supplement(or eat oily fish)

My missus reckons her hairs in better nick when she takes them but as I get a 3 all over and am receding at a rate of knots I couldn't comment. [emoji106]

Have you tried glucosamine chondroitin, decent for the joints and supposed to build cartilage

Would you not be better eating some mackerel first thing rather than messing about with fish oil tablets?

Other fish is availble.  I've always fancied learning to make kedgeree or having my own kippers.

Would need to skin it and heat it up and sit to eat it. If I did it on work it would be honking and I'd get slaughtered.

It's also more expensive. But aye, physiologically it would be preferable to eat proper food than supplements.

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I make kedgeree - but only about once a year and never for breakfast.  I also make eggs benedict and scrambled eggs and smoked salmon, usually on holiday.

I usually have 2 slices of toast - one with cheese and the other with marmalade.  

Just now, invergowrie arab said:

If you have always fancied learning why haven't you just taken the two minutes it takes to do it?

I'm not a great cook (another reason why I like breakfast).  It's a notion that I've always had.  I will attempt it this weekend and report back to this thread.  I'm sure you will be keen to find out how it went.

4 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Love a Full Scottish from time to time. Is there anything better?

I am massively particular about cooked breakfasts.  I can't stand anyone introducing anything liquid into them.  If there is beans then they need to be in a separate dish but I'm happy to go without beans.  Fried egg yolks should be firm and if there has to be a tomato then it should be cut in half and grilled but I'm happy without tomato.  I also generally drink coffee for breakfast but prefer tea with a full Scottish breakfast.

ETA, a few years ago, when I did this sort of thing, my mates and I went down to Manchester to see Oasis.  We had several cooked breakfasts in the greasy spoons of Manchester city centre and they have to be some of the worst meals I've ever had in my entire life.  In one, the place had a big vat of tinned tomatoes and they just poured it on as the 'tomato' part of your breakfast.  Combined with the beans it meant the whole thing was just a horrible tomato-y soup, with bits of back bacon floating in it (always has to be streaky bacon for me).  To this day I can't understand why anyone would want to eat something like that?

Archived