Alloa Athletic v Forfar Athletic

Alloa tended to win on the few occasions I started match threads last season so I'll have another shot here.

By all accounts a half decent Alloa showing at Tannadice last week, despite the final score. Adam Martin must be in with a chance of starting now after impressing again off the bench. Frank McKeown likely to come in for Andy Graham. McKeown was probably unlucky to be dropped in the first place - perhaps he incurrred the wrath of the manager by scoring a peach against Arbroath when defenders should be defending - and he is a solid citizen to be able to bring in. I haven't seen too much of the team yet this season, but I do wonder if we should give Fleming a run of games as the main striker. 

I'm expecting a close game, but a home match against a newly promoted side (who have a had mixed start too) is the kind we really need to be winning. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will Mensing keep his place? Will Bain and Cox come straight back in? How many central midfielders will get game time?
Who knows?
No idea what to expect this week. Thought we played ok against the 3 full time teams and let ourselves down in the 2nd half v Albion. I'll call a high scoring draw.

Didnt see that coming , thought we had F*****d it up again. poor display apart from the last ten minutes (adam martin ) (Kevin cawley)

i hate to see players getting so much stick but renton was needing it it seemed , he reacted positively to the criticism and

did what the fans wanted and got stuck in , and it worked , I hope he and the whole team can now turn things around after this

the last ten minutes was the alloa of last season.

Forfar fans must be sick but we have seen it all before usually on the wrong end of last minute goals ..onwards and upwards...hopefully

Result masked over how poor we were today. Renton can celebrate his goal and rub it into fans given him stick but the reality is he only started to play in the last 15 minutes. Cook was once again poor. Flanny looks despondent Cawley try like a bear with no effect. The goal we lost must be the softest I have seen us lose in a long time. The manager standing with arms folded was incredulous. A continuous battle to avoid relegation if we do not sort it out

Pish poor today and still got 3 points, can only have helped goodwin, surely hes got to start the guys who he brought on from the start of the game next week.

Delighted for renton getting the goal, i feel he only needed a goal.

Feel for forfar fans i thought you played well, definitely wouldnt be calling for bollans head. Put a good squad together and i felt you were the better team for the first 80

Whilst Renton isn't the best the abuse he receives is embarrassing. He's probably not my cup of tea but can see he gives his all and pretty handy in the air.. shouting for him to get to f**k 10 mins into the game is benefiting absolutely no one.

Also see the usual suspect outdone himself today with his shout about Cox. Absolute disgusting from an absolute penis of a man

Well, that was grim. Virtually nothing from centre midfield today yet they got the full 90 minutes. Looked ok at the back until Roddy threw a wobbly eventually resulting in the first goal then it clown defending by all for the rest of the game.
Scott our best player again and good to see Ozzy getting g on the score sheet.

On 9/9/2017 at 18:14, Loonytoons said:

Well, that was grim. Virtually nothing from centre midfield today yet they got the full 90 minutes. Looked ok at the back until Roddy threw a wobbly eventually resulting in the first goal then it clown defending by all for the rest of the game.

How did Travis get on?

Best player on the park by a country mile.

Whilst Renton isn't the best the abuse he receives is embarrassing. He's probably not my cup of tea but can see he gives his all and pretty handy in the air.. shouting for him to get to f**k 10 mins into the game is benefiting absolutely no one.

Also see the usual suspect outdone himself today with his shout about Cox. Absolute disgusting from an absolute penis of a man

The view from your ivory tower must be beautiful as the peasants get restless about fair being served up.
Renton lack of effort to get on end of a cross straight at him after 10 minutes shows why fans have a go he never stretched a neck muscle to try and get on end of it.

Would have thought it was clear enough that it's a lack of confidence rather than lack of effort with Renton. The way the team was setup didn't help him either. Fair play to the guy for sticking in and coming out with an assist for the equaliser then grabbing the winner. Always better to support our players rather than abuse them. The comment shouted at Cox was pathetic. 

The end of the game was great and credit to the team for fighting to the end. Has to be said, however, that it was a poor performance for the most part. We aren't as good as last year but it's still a decent set of players for this level and the manager isn't getting the best out of them. He needs to start Martin and give him a few games. Similarly, if Renton is going to be starting then he needs someone up beside him. But I give Goodwin credit for bringing himself on today. Lot of pressure on his shoulders the way things were going but he played well. 

Normally I'd have sympathy for the opposition in these circumstances but I thought Forfar offered very little, time wasted blatantly after scoring, then caved in after conceding. So little sympathy. 

Lot to work on for Alloa but hopefully it can be a springboard of sorts.

Waspie starts the thread=Alloa win by hook or by crook.

First half was pretty much a non event. Credit to the substitutions which all worked and Goodwin himself was a real calming influence in his first match for just under a year.

I think we really need to see if Martin can give us something extra with a starting place, certainly very effective so far from the bench.

Big Renton needed that goal more than anything- no problem with him giving a bit back to guys hurling stick at him. Hopefully that can push him on a bit. 

Hard to feel too sympathetic towards Forfar after a few pieces of time wasting. 

Vital result, good character shown, but performances need to improve overall.

I'm glad I missed the game today to miss his shout at Cox. I can imagine what it was. He's a disgusting individual who only seems goes to games to act the big man.

The view from your ivory tower must be beautiful as the peasants get restless about fair being served up.
Renton lack of effort to get on end of a cross straight at him after 10 minutes shows why fans have a go he never stretched a neck muscle to try and get on end of it.

No idea what your reference to 'ivory tower' means. Maybe you can explain that one?

Shouting abuse at your own team's players perplexes me completely.

4 minutes ago, printer said:

No idea what your reference to 'ivory tower' means. Maybe you can explain that one?

Shouting abuse at your own team's players perplexes me completely.

Couldnt agree more , been to enough games in my time to see that it only serves as a negative influence on the players(and i have seen some very poor games believe me !) , encouragement and support is what is needed

difficult when your team is playing gash but sometimes it is the setup and tactics that make a player anonymous sometimes , but if you are going to a game and start the abuse after 10 minutes you are not a supporter, and dont give me "I pays my money so" tripe . we all do !

Archived