Stupid things you believed when you were a child

What genuinely stupid or ridiculous things did you believe when you were a child?

I'm not talking about Santa, the tooth fairy or your uncle Jock who you thought was your uncle but actually wasn't. I'm talking bizarre, strange and ludicrous.

1) That when a football team loses, the manager shoots one of the players dead. Someone told me this when I was about six and I believed it. I'm an Ayr United fan so if this was true we would never have any players.

2) That Budapest was a Buddhist holiday in which Buddha would come and be a pest. Turns out it was actually a Hungarian city. Who knew?

3) That the Romans came from Romania and not Rome.

4) That while watching World Cup 98 as an 8 year old that I would get to see Scotland at lots more tournaments in my lifetime. I'm 27 now and still waiting.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The world used to be in black and white (obviously basing this on old films and newsreels)
  • When someone was killed in a film, they died in real life
  • When you bought a new house and moved, the people whose house you moved into always moved into your old house

I used to try and breathe at the same time as my mum because I thought it meant I would die at the same time as her and I didn't want to be without her. I was about 16  4 at the time though.

Up until the age of 6 I lived in quite a remote area and had never been to a 'proper' football match. We only had a black and white television and without the benefit of colour I thought that top level football was played on tarmac!

I thought the sound of the studio audience was people at home laughing. I used to laugh as loud as I could to try and hear myself on TV.

I know that a lot of young, along with many not so young kids, believed Craig Whyte had untold millions to throw at a dying football club.

My big brother (about 12 years older than me) did a very convincing alien/zombie impression and would terrify me when left to look after me. He'd be like the Terminator, slowly walking after me, threatening to kill me and saying that he was not my big brother and that he was an alien here to kill me. It would carry on for whole afternoons. Terrified me. 

My daughter didn't believe in police dogs. She thought grown ups were at it when they mentioned police dogs (with particular reference to the Lethal Bizzle song "Police on My Back", where he mentions being pursued by police dogs). Even showing her pictures online didn't convince her that there were dogs who worked for the police. 

Archived