U21 Euro 2019 Qualifying

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both Iacovitti and Jules are still eligible both were born in 1997, the cutoff date for this tournament is for players born after Jan 1 1996.

Jules is out because he is pish. He looks great on paper, he is big and athletic for a 20 year old so that probably got him his caps at lower age groups and into the U21 squad. The loan to Motherwell fucked him because people got to see how pish he was at football. Iacovitti is on loan at Forest Green so I think that tells you why he is out.

I thought the defence was solid against the Dutch, Souttar and McKenna barely put a foot wrong. Ralston could have been Man of the Match, terrific going both ways and Taylor did OK up against much bigger players so it isn't like they were missed.

It does look like there has been a wholesale change in the U21 line up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_national_under-21_football_team

Jordan McGhee and Liam Henderson having lots of previous caps but not making this squad.

The U21s will play their next 2 home qualifiers in Perth, Latvia 10 November and Ukraine 14 November

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=2986&newsID=17203&newsCategoryID=1

Fits in with what happened during the previous qualifying campaign where games were played at Pittodrie, St Mirren Park and Tynecastle. The crowds in Paisley were the smallest of the last campaign so switching will hopefully bring in a whole new bunch of fans.

• 2 weeks later...

After our manager bemoaning the fact Ryan Williamson wasn't in the u21 squad, he is now. Marauding right back who moves like a giraffe. Unlike so many prospects he has a killer final product, setting up a high percentage of our many many goals this season, be it a simple cutback or a pinpoint cross. On the long pitch at East End he just leaves folk for dead. He was  featuring in the Scotland U19s a couple of years back but a broken leg ended his season. 

Fellow Pars defender Lee Ashcroft describes him well if you scroll down the article a bit..

http://www.dafc.co.uk/story.php?t=Scotland_U21_call_up_for_Ryan&ID=10213 

Liam Lindsay is ineligble for the Under 21s as he is too old...

He's 21, I vaguely remember Jordan Rhodes getting capped at this level after he was that age although I could be wrong. If so I'll just take my gripe to the Slovakia/Slovenia thread and swap McCrorie for Berra.

Just now, AMMjag said:

He's 21, I vaguely remember Jordan Rhodes getting capped at this level after he was that age. If not I'll just take my gripe to the Slovakia/Slovenoa thread and swap McCrorie for Berra.

The cut off date for eligibility for this tournament is 1st Jan 1996. Liam Lindsay was born in October 1995 hence ineligible. 

You need to take off the tinted glasses. Liam Lindsay is a good defender but why would Strachan make wholesale changes to his experienced squad with just two, crucial, qualifiers to go to favour a defender who has never played international football and is currently in the lower half of the Championship with Barnsley? He'll get his chance, hopefully in the friendlies we have scheduled after this campaign ends. 

The cut off date for eligibility for this tournament is 1st Jan 1996. Liam Lindsay was born in October 1995 hence ineligible. 
You need to take off the tinted glasses. Liam Lindsay is a good defender but why would Strachan make wholesale changes to his experienced squad with just two, crucial, qualifiers to go to favour a defender who has never played international football and is currently in the lower half of the Championship with Barnsley? He'll get his chance, hopefully in the friendlies we have scheduled after this campaign ends. 

I was joking about the senior call up, if he's ineligible then fair enough.

The friendlies? You mean the ones we'll pass up on?

Squad for the next two away qualifiers

From the last squad  In: Doohan (Celtic), Williamson (Dunfermline), Campbell (Motherwell) and Docherty (Hamilton) 

Out: Miller (Celtic), Frizzell (Killie) and Wilson (Killie)

No idea if any changes are down to injury or form but surprised Wilson is dropped after having a decent game against the Dutch.

5 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Squad for the next two away qualifiers

From the last squad  In: Doohan (Celtic), Williamson (Dunfermline), Campbell (Motherwell) and Docherty (Hamilton) 

Out: Miller (Celtic), Frizzell (Killie) and Wilson (Killie)

No idea if any changes are down to injury or form but surprised Wilson is dropped after having a decent game against the Dutch.

Wilson is injured for the next 2-3 months. 

Absolutely bizarre that they call this an under 21 tournament when the oldest eligible players will be midway between their 23rd and 24th birthdays. I understand why they use calendar years for it, but they should just call it under 23.

Archived