Junior Clubs Approaching Players

Gunner

Just curious how your experiences are about Junior Clubs when they approach your players? Have they gone about it in the right way? Have they badgered your player even if they've said no? And how have you dealt with it when a junior club comes asking about a player? 

Recently, we were approached by a Junior side about 1 player, they contacted me first (which I appreciated) and informed me of their interest. I made it clear that I didn't want to lose the player, but understood that it's a decision for the player to make himself. They player has decided to stay with us, which he told me. However, the next day the Junior club manager called to let me know the same thing and that he would end his interest there and move on to his next target. 

Personally, I found it pleasing that this Junior Club had gone about things this way. Open and up front with me, honest and had the courtesy to call me back afterwards too. Quite refreshing because I know it doesn't always happen like this. 

Quite the opposite in my experience. They just contact players and don't even have the courtesy of speaking to me first. 

Bit of a disregard for amateur clubs and arrogance. Not one of our players that have been approached has left though! 

Yeah much the same as previous post in my experience we have always found out thru the player himself that a junior club has contacted him ,  it's sad some junior clubs dont give the amatuer club the respect of  contacting them first as although disappointed  if we lost the individual in question  we would never stand in a players way if he wanted to take a step up into the juniors .

Shame its like that. The way the team who contacted us went about it means that should 'said player' find himself maybe wanting to move on or try junior football - I'd let them know as a courtesy. But, delighted he's stayed and plans to stay for the forseeable. 

Just wondered if I was in the minority in my experience of dealing with junior teams as I've not really had to so much. 

I think in all honesty come the summer all players are fair game even if they have indicated to there amateur manager they would be returning. However if a player is signed I'd expect the junior manager to contact the amateur manager to let them know they are interested.

It happens very rarely though and generally they go direct to the player although some junior clubs in the past have compensated amateur clubs for a player throughout the season but this is more rare these days. Sounds like they went about it the right way and are a club you could have a decent relationship with. From a junior managers point of view its only a courtesy call needed to say you'll be speaking to the player. At the end of the day nobody can stop them speak to a player.

33 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

TBH, I don't think this depends on the junior club (or senior club) as much as it does the manager in situ at the time. Some are courteous towards clubs (Ams, 21's etc.), some are not.

I don't even think it's a junior thing. I've experienced and heard good and bad examples of how players are approached at different levels of the game from youth - amateurs - juniors.

Been on both sides of this as a amateur player being approached by a junior club then also a manager and the junior team approaching my players. Purely down to the manager of the junior team as a person as they do not need to contact the amateur team as there is nothing in their rule book . Stinks if u ask me

• 2 weeks later...

Does the same thing not happen from amatuer teams with players saying they r quiting football & sign for another amatuer team?? This isn't a junior thing & more common issue across all levels of football. Most managers now a days will do everything they can sign players, with little to no thought for respecting the other team or manager concerned.

Archived