Postitive coaching

quickoverayard

I have recently taken my first step into coaching 11s at under 13. What i have implemented in this is no coaching from the sidelines from parents or coaches. The first aim was for us to create players who made decisions ( rightly or wrongly ) solve problems, take ownership of the game and hopefully create a better educated young footballer, what we do is is give the team talk and what the theme for this weeks game is, ie playing from the back, rotation, 3 in the box for attacking and defensively, strikers dropping deep and letting opponent's centre half on the ball, going narrow in shape etc infront of the parents ask players questions so the oarents can hear the answers and feel included . Most sidelines ive seen so far in the league we play in have actually disgusted me, screaming, barking orders and kicking every ball for the player as if they are a remote control.

What are you fellow coaches doing to change the way your player thinks??

Not football but I find if your athlete can't problem solve then it doesn't matter what direction you give them. Being the remote control may work temporary at younger levels but as their opponents mature and start thinking on their feet the 'robot' will quickly be overtaken. Decision making needs to be quick in order to gain an edge over your opposite number, you simply do not have time to wait and listen for what your coach is shouting from 50 yards away.

You can guide your players in what might be an appropriate reaction to certain situations, but you need to have an understanding that there is no 1 answer to any particular problem.

http://thesefootballtimes.co/2017/08/29/the-methods-and-secrets-of-tom-byer/

This was a fantastic listen on youth coaching, especially in the last 15-20 minutes. My favourite part was his anecdote on his child's coach being predominately rugby based, which originally had him pulling his hair out because he didn't think he would develop under him, but because his son had learned his ball playing skills up to being 13, and all the coach let him do from there was encourage him to take what he had learnt and play his natural game.

I try to let the team play without much shouting from the sideline to ensure their the ones learning from decisions made. Teams only playing 7 a side so the players are developing every game and are learning all the time. Shouting instructions constantly won't help any of the players and can be off putting. Could also affect player confidence at the same time meaning they are less likely to want the ball incase they make a mistake.

Football is a sport centred around split second decisions. A young player already has his own instincts and the shouts of his team mates to process when considering what course of action to take. Extra instructions from coaches and parents just tends to cos an overload and makes mistakes far more likely.

Let the kids play, let then make mistakes. Only way they'll learn. Make a note of the mistake abd address it afterwards. No point trying to scream it at them mid match.

Too many coaches just want to be seen to be doing something and look like they know their stuff when they very often don't have a clue

Football is a sport centred around split second decisions. A young player already has his own instincts and the shouts of his team mates to process when considering what course of action to take. Extra instructions from coaches and parents just tends to cos an overload and makes mistakes far more likely.

Let the kids play, let then make mistakes. Only way they'll learn. Make a note of the mistake abd address it afterwards. No point trying to scream it at them mid match.

Too many coaches just want to be seen to be doing something and look like they know their stuff when they very often don't have a clue

Couldn't agree more, my outlook on it is the exact same. we want the kids to have a freedom to be creative, make mistakes and learn from them. A stronger footballing education and player development is what im trying to achieve. Our theme for the game this coming weekend is rotation, we have worked on it at training this week, at times it was all over the place but they got there with a little guidance but mainly solved it all on their own so they know what we are looking for in the game along with a continuation of previous themes so there is no need to give instructions throughout the gane.

Archived