Dundee United v Linfield 7th or 8th October

Guest DAVIDB69

On 08/10/2017 at 01:11, GordonS said:

Took in this game. Have to say, I was a bit disappointed at the small crowd - your team were playing a motivated, experienced, street-smart team backed by a loud and obnoxious support, and they could have done with some backing. There was a swell of noise with about 5 minutes to go and it definitely transferred to the players, some of whom had been playing with a distinct lack of intensity.

It was interesting to see the difference in skill level, which told in the end. That this is by far the biggest and the best team in a region of 1.5 million people, in a football-mad country, is an embarrassment. The laughable state of Northern Irish domestic football is yet another side-effect of the tribal-based twattery prevalent in the province. There's no way Linfield should be losing to a Scottish second-tier club's makeshift reserve team.

Other notable feature, as someone who grew up in the era of greatness of Dundee United, was sadness at how far they've fallen. When I think about the players who have worn that shirt... it's just sad. 

Oh, and apart from the most pleasing get-it-right-up-ye winner, the highlight of the night was when the Linfield fans sang "Steven Thomson, you're a w@nker, you're a w@nker", and the United fans applauded.

Firstly, class post mate, so different to 90% of what I scroll through here.

It is sobering indeed that a team which is state-sponsored here in NI should be defeated by DU Res / Kids. But there you go. 

In our defence NI's 'cream' ply their trade 'accross the water'. 23 places higher than Scotland but importantly in with a crack at qualifying for the second major tournament in a rtow no mean feat.

I've watched the IL since the mid 70s. It has been vastly under-founded and maligned over the years. In reality it is one of those few things that have kept the ordinary folk here relatively sane over the years.

Hopefully my team will give a better representation of the quality and fans in NI, than little Rangers have ...

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Crusader Knight said:

When Linfield's official twitter account is blowing smoke up the arse of Rangers and their fans I'm afraid they don't have a leg to stand on tbh. They've made their bed. 

I've just started catching up with things after my wee trip to Norway and I am now at half time in this game.

So far I think Linfield have been totally dominant and should be several up, but when you don't take your chances you lose games.  Hope second half is similar? I would be very critical of the Linfield finishing so far, but there you go. Our main striker has had only 71 minutes game time since the Celtic game, so if this helps to get him fit.......

As for the snidey comments earlier reference my claiming it is a minority; I do think that it is a minority of Linfield fans singing the sort of songs I, (and many other Linfield fans), don't want to hear. It was distasteful alright, but certainly nowhere as bad as Parkhead for the European game earlier this season, and I refer to both sets of fans. We had about 5% of our average support at Tannadice, (or did we, because there were a fair number of Scottish accents in there too). ILF suggests a large number of Rangers fans, some Airdrie, Hearts and bizarrely, a few from Ross County.

Check the Linfield section  of ILF where the overwhelming majority of Linfield fans are clearly against this and advocate football songs instead. These pissed up day trippers do not represent me in any way. Fans also criticising the club for the Rangers tweet. I would agree with them on both counts. Here's just a few of the many posts,

"Well, actually, singing several of the songs they were singing is a criminal offence but that's not the point. Those idiots are Scottish Rangers fans who came to our match despite not supporting our club just so they could sing all the songs they know they're not allowed to sing at their club's matches, songs that have absolutely nothing to do with Linfield or football in general. The message from our club should have been clear: that they're not associated with the club and that their 'support' is not wanted. Instead, the club have basically praised and welcomed them. It's funny how one week previous we went to Solitude with not a hint of any sectarianism then one week later it's as bad as it's been for years. After the Celtic match, when many booed the idiots trying to start the Billy Boys I thought we had turned a corner but it seems that the right-minded people will never win because there will always be a good number of emptyheads who see no problem with these songs".

"Personally I feel Linfield are Linfield, no brother, sister, father or mother to any other club.
I don't care if Rangers men or anyone else wants to come and support Linfield when they are over, but I do have an issue when they are not supporting Linfield but potentially getting Linfield into trouble for sectarian behavior.
Do it at their own matches, not at ours."

"It's almost inevitable that when Linfield travel to Scotland the 'blues brothers' brigade will arrive with their sectarian baggage. Those idiots can't be reasoned with but great credit to Linfield and their fans for distancing themselves from these Neanderthals."

I'll leave it there as I have a second half to watch.

6 hours ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

I've just started catching up with things after my wee trip to Norway and I am now at half time in this game.

So far I think Linfield have been totally dominant and should be several up, but when you don't take your chances you lose games.  Hope second half is similar? I would be very critical of the Linfield finishing so far, but there you go. Our main striker has had only 71 minutes game time since the Celtic game, so if this helps to get him fit.......

As for the snidey comments earlier reference my claiming it is a minority; I do think that it is a minority of Linfield fans singing the sort of songs I, (and many other Linfield fans), don't want to hear. It was distasteful alright, but certainly nowhere as bad as Parkhead for the European game earlier this season, and I refer to both sets of fans. We had about 5% of our average support at Tannadice, (or did we, because there were a fair number of Scottish accents in there too). ILF suggests a large number of Rangers fans, some Airdrie, Hearts and bizarrely, a few from Ross County.

Check the Linfield section  of ILF where the overwhelming majority of Linfield fans are clearly against this and advocate football songs instead. These pissed up day trippers do not represent me in any way. Fans also criticising the club for the Rangers tweet. I would agree with them on both counts. Here's just a few of the many posts,

"Well, actually, singing several of the songs they were singing is a criminal offence but that's not the point. Those idiots are Scottish Rangers fans who came to our match despite not supporting our club just so they could sing all the songs they know they're not allowed to sing at their club's matches, songs that have absolutely nothing to do with Linfield or football in general. The message from our club should have been clear: that they're not associated with the club and that their 'support' is not wanted. Instead, the club have basically praised and welcomed them. It's funny how one week previous we went to Solitude with not a hint of any sectarianism then one week later it's as bad as it's been for years. After the Celtic match, when many booed the idiots trying to start the Billy Boys I thought we had turned a corner but it seems that the right-minded people will never win because there will always be a good number of emptyheads who see no problem with these songs".

"Personally I feel Linfield are Linfield, no brother, sister, father or mother to any other club.
I don't care if Rangers men or anyone else wants to come and support Linfield when they are over, but I do have an issue when they are not supporting Linfield but potentially getting Linfield into trouble for sectarian behavior.
Do it at their own matches, not at ours."

"It's almost inevitable that when Linfield travel to Scotland the 'blues brothers' brigade will arrive with their sectarian baggage. Those idiots can't be reasoned with but great credit to Linfield and their fans for distancing themselves from these Neanderthals."

I'll leave it there as I have a second half to watch.

#watp

Archived