Dundee United v Linfield 7th or 8th October

Guest DAVIDB69

Guest DAVIDB69

This is a big one by irn bru standards , for a few reasons. Biggest game since the introduction of Irish and Welsh clubs , the biggest Scottish team in the tournament . So needs to be won comfortably by united for Scottish football credibility.

The side show with rangers fans , already booking busses through . The no love lost between united and rangers . This is a risky one for police and I can actually see it being made all ticket .

I do think there could be 10000 at the game though which will do the tournament good in the long run.

I can see it being a 1330 kick off on the Sunday with the Scotland game following

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/5/2017 at 21:30, DAVIDB69 said:

This is a big one by irn bru standards , for a few reasons. Biggest game since the introduction of Irish and Welsh clubs , the biggest Scottish team in the tournament . So needs to be won comfortably by united for Scottish football credibility.

The side show with rangers fans , already booking busses through . The no love lost between united and rangers . This is a risky one for police and I can actually see it being made all ticket .

I do think there could be 10000 at the game though which will do the tournament good in the long run.

I can see it being a 1330 kick off on the Sunday with the Scotland game following

yeah_sure_jon_hamm.gif

I didn't go to any games in this competition last season because it's a useless competition, however I have attended the two games this season so far because:

a) Ray made it clear he would play young lads and other players not getting a first team start and/or needing to keep their fitness levels up, and

b) the games were at home.

The Alloa game was dire and not an encouragement to attend further games.  I don't see the crowd here being any bigger than the last time around.

A lot depends on what kind of team McKinnon puts out, whether its fringe players like he did last year or his full team. If its the latter I think it's likely to be a straightforward win by a couple of goals. I hope Linfield have a good go, they did well enough at Palmerston last year and by all accounts are stronger now.

Deleted a swathe of posts - not cos of bias but because it has descended into the usual tit-for-tat nonsense and name-calling ... how about keeping this thread for people who actually want to discuss the match?

[emoji1]

If you done that on every thread this forum would be a rather boring place.

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

emoji1.png

If you done that on every thread this forum would be a rather boring place.

Just trying to keep match threads about the match! Plenty of other places in P+B to debate all the stuff that goes along with it!

On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 17:14, Big Berk said:

A lot depends on what kind of team McKinnon puts out, whether its fringe players like he did last year or his full team. If its the latter I think it's likely to be a straightforward win by a couple of goals. I hope Linfield have a good go, they did well enough at Palmerston last year and by all accounts are stronger now.

Ditto Linfield. I would expect United to be favourites if both sides were fielding full-strength line-ups, but I am convinced Sir David will field fringe players and those coming back from injury, leading to a very comfortable Arab victory.

I would prefer it if we took this competition seriously and gave it our all, but I can also understand why we do this. The European money on offer is, in IL terms, every bit as important to us as the £30 million Celtic are reputed to earn is to them.

20 hours ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

Ditto Linfield. I would expect United to be favourites if both sides were fielding full-strength line-ups, but I am convinced Sir David will field fringe players and those coming back from injury, leading to a very comfortable Arab victory.

I would prefer it if we took this competition seriously and gave it our all, but I can also understand why we do this. The European money on offer is, in IL terms, every bit as important to us as the £30 million Celtic are reputed to earn is to them.

Chances are we'll be fielding a reserve team as well, though.

On 13/09/2017 at 07:26, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Deleted a swathe of posts - not cos of bias but because it has descended into the usual tit-for-tat nonsense and name-calling ... how about keeping this thread for people who actually want to discuss the match?

So mods' remits now cover the quality of  discussion on a thread? 

Didn't see much wrong other than a few WUMs making deliberately provocative statements and a few thickos biting.

I also think the type of scumbag this match will attract is utterly pertinent to discussions.

51 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

So mods' remits now cover the quality of  discussion on a thread? 

Didn't see much wrong other than a few WUMs making deliberately provocative statements and a few thickos biting.

I also think the type of scumbag this match will attract is utterly pertinent to discussions.

Not so much the quality, more the pointless mud-slinging and name-calling that would put off anybody wanting to actually discuss the match.

Archived