Montrose v Queens

steakpiegravy

Think this is a game I would play McFadden from the start.Play him up front not on the wing. The time has come to see if he has anything to offer has shown nothing so far .

I would go with Martin in goal try and get him match fit now that he is training  again .

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking forward to the game.  Nobody gave us much hope in the last round vs Ayr and as an old cliche the cup is a one off game.

As has been mentioned the last time we met in this cup was a 7-4 defeat with the legend that is Stevie King scoring a hat trick for us on the night and also missing a great chance in the last few seconds of normal time to win it.

Think this is a game I would play McFadden from the start.Play him up front not on the wing. The time has come to see if he has anything to offer has shown nothing so far .
I would go with Martin in goal try and get him match fit now that he is training  again .

McFadden I partially agree but who would you partner him with. I think this would be an ideal game for him to come off the bench if we are winning to take over Lyle or dobbie for half hour and help his fitness and match sharpness that way.

I disagree with Martin. It the challenge cup I think leighfield should start. Martin has been playing with an injury so he should be using these two weeks to work on his fitness and sort his injury out. Give leighfield a chance to prove his worth to the club and challenge cup is ideal for that.

Will be good to get to a break from the norm of watching the same old teams for the next two weeks.

There's no way they'll be as rotten as Clyde were, but hoping we can take some confidence from last week into today and have a go!

Bad goal to lose. Rooney easy beat down the right and then complaining about a foul instead of getting back in the game. Low cross in and Martin easily beat low down to his right but within reach. I think a memo has gone out to tell opposing strikers Martin can’t get down low. Worryingly Montrose reserve keeper looked better than either of ours in the warmup.

3 minutes ago, steakpiegravy said:

Bad goal to lose. Rooney easy beat down the right and then complaining about a foul instead of getting back in the game. Low cross in and Martin easily beat low down to his right but within reach. I think a memo has gone out to tell opposing strikers Martin can’t get down low. Worryingly Montrose reserve keeper looked better than either of ours in the warmup.

The secret to us not conceding appears to be to prevent the opposition from having any shots on target eg ICT last week. 

Cripple number 2 on now to score the equaliser from right midfield and cripple number 1 to save 3 pens in the shoot out.

#legends.

1:1 extra time. HT. Montrose been the better team for most of the90 min bar the last 10-15 IMO. Hit the bar in the first half of extra time although tbf may have been a good save by Martin. Queens on top missed a few chances in extra time.

15 min +\- penalties to go

Well where do you start with that ?

If we persist with this horrendous formation shoehorning all three of our centre mids in the team we better start looking over our shoulder. They all do literally the same job apart from tapping who tends to not do anything at all. First half Montrose shooting with the wind deserved to be ahead, we improved in the second half and really deserved to at least level the game. Extra time and the last 20 minutes was fairly one sided apart from that missile that came back off the bar. Glad to be through and credit to Montrose for their performance. 

Had Connor had his shooting boots on first five minutes we could have had an earlier lead than we did. And had Webby's raker in first half of ET been an inch lower it could have been a different story.

That said, Fleming pulled off a number of excellent point blank saves and was deserved man of match. Without him it could have easily been over a lot earlier. It was backs to the wall for second 45 with only the odd foray forwards. Was impressed we kept going against full timers, but after 120 mins we were always going to be tiring.

Thought we put in some top performances across the field with Masson, Steeves, Watson, Callaghan and Fleming all having really good games. Was disappointed with Redman and Campbell when they came on, when I thought a Ferguson or Hay would have been better outlets when it was obvious we'd be under lots of pressure. Disappointed too with the ease of Queens second goal - identical to last week v Clyde - long ball past 2 older, slower CBs and easy finish striker.

Either way, we certainly didn't let ourselves down over 120 mins in what was a really entertaining match and good luck to Queens next round.

Archived