Montrose v Queens

steakpiegravy

I dont know why but I'm right up for this game. I think I'm right in saying one of my earliest memories of the (B+Q) challenge cup was in around 91/92 when we beat Montrose 7-4 after extra time when the game finished 3-3. What a game!

We got stuck behind a tractor all the way from Brechin to Montrose and arrived about 30 seconds after kick off to see Montrose pop one in about the first minute as we were walking up the steps. Nearly turned around and walked back out again!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, hellohellohowdoudo said:

Gutted to be missing this as away on holiday as many happy memories of times at Palmerston including promotion party.

I'm gutted to be missing it as well 'cos I'll be away. Remember the 4-7 defeat the lad above mentioned. As he says it was 3-3 after 90 minutes thanks to a Stevie King hat trick for us. In extra time Ivo den Bieman scored again for us whilst Queens ran riot and scored four more. By the end both teams looked like scoring in every attack but we were more knackered than they were! Wonder if Queens will be at full strength now this competition is getting to the interesting stage.

50 minutes ago, MOFOREVER said:

I'm gutted to be missing it as well 'cos I'll be away. Remember the 4-7 defeat the lad above mentioned. As he says it was 3-3 after 90 minutes thanks to a Stevie King hat trick for us. In extra time Ivo den Bieman scored again for us whilst Queens ran riot and scored four more. By the end both teams looked like scoring in every attack but we were more knackered than they were! Wonder if Queens will be at full strength now this competition is getting to the interesting stage.

We've got a relatively small squad so we can't chop and change too much. Our 2nd choice keeper has been getting the nod so far in this competition, but all the players we have used in this cup are regular 1st team squad members, either starters or from the bench. We've played virtually our strongest defence and forward line in every Irn Bru game so far, with any slight changes in personnel  being more than capable of stepping in without weakening the team.  I would say, barring injuries or suspensions, that we will be putting out a strong team as we have done in previous rounds.

29 minutes ago, BIGdavieT said:

Looks like Leighfield will start as he didn't put a foot wrong against Berwick?

Delighted for the boy!

Agreed he has done well in the Irn Bru games so far and should get the nod again,  but to be fair he hasn't exactly been seriously tested in any of them.  The only slight criticism I could level at him are his kick-outs which seem to owe a lot to his previous goalkeeper coach.  

21 hours ago, MOFOREVER said:

We pretty much always play full strength in this competition. We have a good record in it and always take it seriously.

I have fond memories of the 7-4 game. I was in Edinburgh on a week long course back in the days before I had a car. Supporters Club bus picked me up at the Edinburgh bypass and took me up to Montrose but I had to get a train back to Edinburgh. Last one was leaving before ET finished so I had to leave Links Park at half time in extra time to catch it. In the days before mobile phones I had no idea what the final score was all the way back and it was driving me mental. We were 6-4 up when I left but as you say, both teams looked like scoring any time they went forward. Finally found out the score by asking the Night Porter at my residence somewhere round midnight!

19 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Our 2nd choice keeper has been getting the nod so far in this competition, but all the players we have used in this cup are regular 1st team squad members, either starters or from the bench. We've played virtually our strongest defence and forward line in every Irn Bru game so far, with any slight changes in personnel  being more than capable of stepping in without weakening the team.  I would say, barring injuries or suspensions, that we will be putting out a strong team as we have done in previous rounds.

This, subject to below.

6 hours ago, BIGdavieT said:

Looks like Leighfield will start as he didn't put a foot wrong against Berwick?

Delighted for the boy!

I'm not sure we can necessarily conclude that. Leighfield has played so far because Martin isn't full fit after his thigh injury against Brechin. Whilst he's been playing through it in League games, he hasn't been risked in the Irn Bru Cup games against lower League opposition. The Manager said that in his interview post Falkirk game. That may well still be the case by the time we play Montrose but he may well be fully recovered and 100% by then, in which case it's quite possible he'll stay in the team. Or Leighfield might play anyway, we don't know for sure. The point is Leighfield has been playing in the Irn Bru Cup because Martin isn't 100% not necessarily because he's being used as a 'Cup keeper'

14 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm not sure we can necessarily conclude that. Leighfield has played so far because Martin isn't full fit after his thigh injury against Brechin. Whilst he's been playing through it in League games, he hasn't been risked in the Irn Bru Cup games against lower League opposition. The Manager said that in his interview post Falkirk game. That may well still be the case by the time we play Montrose but he may well be fully recovered and 100% by then, in which case it's quite possible he'll stay in the team. Or Leighfield might play anyway, we don't know for sure. The point is Leighfield has been playing in the Irn Bru Cup because Martin isn't 100% not necessarily because he's being used as a 'Cup keeper'

Correct me if I' m wrong SD, or anyone,    but was it not the case in the season we got to the Final of this Cup V Brechin at Cumbernauld that Colin Scott (?)  played in goals in all games up to the Final and Andy "The Flying Pig" Goram was selected for the Final?

On ‎05‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 20:47, MOFOREVER said:

That was a fantastic game, a wonder goal from Stevie king too IIRC.

46 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Correct me if I' m wrong SD, or anyone,    but was it not the case in the season we got to the Final of this Cup V Brechin at Cumbernauld that Colin Scott (?)  played in goals in all games up to the Final and Andy "The Flying Pig" Goram was selected for the Final?

Yes, though change was for disciplinary reasons. Up to the week before Connolly had said he fully intended to continue using Scott for the Cup Final and Goram was due to be on the bench but he fell out with Scott about something the week before and dropped him.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yes, though change was for disciplinary reasons. Up to the week before Connolly had said he fully intended to continue using Scott for the Cup Final and Goram was due to be on the bench but he fell out with Scott about something the week before and dropped him.

It all sounds like a very convenient time to have a fall out. The end result can't be questioned though.

On 9/7/2017 at 09:49, Skyline Drifter said:

Connolly? Fall out with someone? Dont believe it

• 3 weeks later...

To quote from  the book of Football Clichés,  this could be the proverbial banana skin.  I think statistically we have been creating more chances than the opposition in the last couple of games without turning that into goals, it would be nice if we could start doing that this week.  We have also started slowly against lower league opposition on a few occasions already,  Stenny and Berwick for example, but thankfully came good in the end, so it would be good if we imposed ourselves  right away in this game.  Getting through to the next round is the main objective but doing it with a bit to spare would make the journey up there a lot more pleasant. 

Strongest team available please. Sir Stephen back scoring  goals and the team back to winning ways so we can take a confidence boost into the home league game next Saturday and kick on from there.

Archived