East Fife v Queens Park

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

By the way, I made an observation. You started the debate.

I was referring to The Spider who wanted to start a debate on the worst player ever at QP. Don't be so touchy!

Anyway I'm sure you will agree that we both hope you're wrong on this one and big Luke starts banging in the goals.  

Seeing as how some of you have decided to extend the debate by naming players who clearly weren't strikers (which is where my initial interest lay), a name that springs out from the early 80s to me is a midfielder called Gerry Bonner who clearly wasn't ready to make the step up from schools football, and it's always a shame when young guys like that are flung in too early and then discarded never to be seen or heard of again. Kjartan Henry Finnbogason wasn't much of a player for us either :P, but remains a legend!

Just watched the highlights and definitely think BYOS is being harsh on Luke Donnelly...........the only time I saw him touch the ball was from the kick-off, and he clearly showed good awareness to look up and find his man with an accurate 10 yard pass. I mean, what more are you looking for from a striker BYOS, and if your response is "goals" then I can only re-direct you to Orr's woeful attempt from a free header. Would big Luke have buried that one? We'll never know!

All joking aside, from what I could see Donnelly's biggest issue at the moment is that he's clearly lacking match fitness, so Gus has a dilemma there. Does he persevere with Donnelly for a few games in the hope that he can get up to speed and show why Gus signed him, or does he restrict him to "impact" opportunities from the bench and try to improve his fitness through training and U-20s games. He certainly looks to have the physique for the role, but then again I said that about Scott Edgar and Adam Coakley, so perhaps my track record in that kind of assessment may indicate a need for further scrutiny!

Having watched the highlights ( good stuff apart from missing Burns's miss) a deserved big shout must go to David Galt for having the insight to move into a position which ultimately won us the game - I am looking forward to his next 30 yarder ---- surely just a matter of time -- Saturday perhaps?.

10 hours ago, NathanQP said:

Don't get the people who say you can't slag off players, if they aren't good enough, we should be able to say so.

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Every other fan group seems to agree with you. Some QP fans think it's heresy. And yet have no issue with criticising fellow supporters.

I have two takes on this. Firstly, I don't believe that fans of any club should feel guilty about debating the merits of individual players, provided that it's done constructively, decently and without malice. Secondly though, at Queen's Park, we should never be audibly slagging off any individual player during a game.

That's different from how it works at other clubs and so it should be. Any professional player who is effectively being funded by paying customers should accept that derisory shouts from those fans go with the territory. However, our players (irrespective of their future objectives) deserve to be treated differently, and whilst dissatisfaction at a poor performance can be expressed towards the team collectively and/or the coach if warranted, any personal abuse directed towards any individual player during a game (including when they leave the pitch) is out of order as far as I'm concerned. The fact that they are prepared to train in all weathers and then represent our club for no reward should earn them that right, and those who say "well I paid good money to watch this so I've got the right to critise" need to remember that unlike other clubs their money is not funding that players lifestyle, lavish or otherwise.

I also have to agree though that we do have some fans with short memories whom I've seen slagging off players at the end of a game, and then a few weeks later (when sober mind you!) criticising others for doing exactly the same!

I have two takes on this. Firstly, I don't believe that fans of any club should feel guilty about debating the merits of individual players, provided that it's done constructively, decently and without malice. Secondly though, at Queen's Park, we should never be audibly slagging off any individual player during a game.
That's different from how it works at other clubs and so it should be. Any professional player who is effectively being funded by paying customers should accept that derisory shouts from those fans go with the territory. However, our players (irrespective of their future objectives) deserve to be treated differently, and whilst dissatisfaction at a poor performance can be expressed towards the team collectively and/or the coach if warranted, any personal abuse directed towards any individual player during a game (including when they leave the pitch) is out of order as far as I'm concerned. The fact that they are prepared to train in all weathers and then represent our club for no reward should earn them that right, and those who say "well I paid good money to watch this so I've got the right to critise" need to remember that unlike other clubs their money is not funding that players lifestyle, lavish or otherwise.
I also have to agree though that we do have some fans with short memories whom I've seen slagging off players at the end of a game, and then a few weeks later (when sober mind you!) criticising others for doing exactly the same!

I'd agree with all that and extend it to former players. Chris Duggan had abuse on Saturday and I remember at Stenny last year one guy going at Vinnie Berry and Davie Crawford all afternoon, two of our stalwarts in recent history.

2 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I'd agree with all that and extend it to former players. Chris Duggan had abuse on Saturday and I remember at Stenny last year one guy going at Vinnie Berry and Davie Crawford all afternoon, two of our stalwarts in recent history.

If former players are arseholes against us or acted like arseholes when they were with us then fine. I will never understand however folk giving pelters to former players just for the sake of it, especially ones that were great for us or played in promotion winning sides. 

I mind when Mick Hendry played against us for Alloa and got dog's abuse all game from a few wallopers. It was embarrassing, especially when he went on to score the winner that day and hardly celebrated his goal

8 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Seriously? We draw Clyde in the Scottish Cup and you'll be doffing your hat to Darren Millar? Sorry, but I draw the line right there!

Just now, The Spider said:

Seriously? We draw Clyde in the Scottish Cup and you'll be doffing your hat to Darren Millar? Sorry, but I draw the line right there!

And that's why there shouldn't be rules. 'Cos there's always an exception. Would be irresistible if they got a pen and he sclaffed it over the bar.

27 minutes ago, bridgeofweirdo said:

Just to return to the subject for a moment ...... why was the EF keeper not shown a red card for his challenge on David Galt ? Or even a yellow ?.

Because a referee got involved. 

Going by this, should have been a yellow...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36047575

15 hours ago, bridgeofweirdo said:

A thin line indeed - from where I was seated it still looked like a red card offence - that said a yellow at least - ah well - 3 points mustn't grumble

At the time I thought the keeper made an attempt to go for the ball. After watching the video it looks much worse, he's nowhere near the ball. Has to be a yellow card anyway. Great anticipation by Galt before he is taken out  

Archived