Blue Toon Vs Gable Endies

Big game for the Mo.

Balmoor: never a happy hunting ground in the past.

Can Stuart Petrie's revitalised Montrose finally banish the miseries?

Thoughts ahead of Saturday?

hqdefault.jpg

Heading home after a typical Saturday watching Montrose at Balmoor...

I'd feel more confident of at least avoiding defeat if McAllister wasn't playing. He makes all the difference in what would otherwise be a routine L2 side. But, he played in their L1 team (I think) and still ended up relegated. This Montrose team is fit and well organised this season so should do better but I still worry about our lack of threat up front if the opposition score first, or at all. I've decided to make the long, long trek up there however as a true fan should - but it had better be worth it.

It won't have avoided anyone's attention that we have Stirling next week so these next two games might well define our season - are we up to it, or not?

1 hour ago, MOFOREVER said:

I'd feel more confident of at least avoiding defeat if McAllister wasn't playing. He makes all the difference in what would otherwise be a routine L2 side. But, he played in their L1 team (I think) and still ended up relegated. This Montrose team is fit and well organised this season so should do better but I still worry about our lack of threat up front if the opposition score first, or at all. I've decided to make the long, long trek up there however as a true fan should - but it had better be worth it.

It won't have avoided anyone's attention that we have Stirling next week so these next two games might well define our season - are we up to it, or not?

4 years and 8 games ago since Montrose beat us.  Fully expecting a loss although how any team with Watson in it can win games I will never know.

17 hours ago, strichener said:

4 years and 8 games ago since Montrose beat us.  Fully expecting a loss although how any team with Watson in it can win games I will never know.

I don't think we won a single game that he played in when he was with us. Probably a game you might expect us to win but I am sure Montrose won't want to slip up after their good start to the season, and we have been vulnerable a the back so who knows.

That bad a player??? Come on now it's a team game remember!!!

Beautifully stolen point at the end. Second best, created little, and bullied off the ball for most of the game, but the difference this time was our defence not collapsing at 0-1 and shipping more goals. Sets next week up very nicely.

I thought we were pretty poor today. I am not sure why Mclean started after his cup performance last week. Bringing Jordan Brown on also looked to be a mistake as we were completely exposed down the left whilst he ran around like a headless chicken for the last 20 minutes. We now play the bottom 3 teams and if we want to be serious about going back to L1 we need to do a lot better than we did today as we will need to win all 3.

14 hours ago, NewBlue said:

I thought we were pretty poor today. I am not sure why Mclean started after his cup performance last week. Bringing Jordan Brown on also looked to be a mistake as we were completely exposed down the left whilst he ran around like a headless chicken for the last 20 minutes. We now play the bottom 3 teams and if we want to be serious about going back to L1 we need to do a lot better than we did today as we will need to win all 3.

You must be happy then with the huge improvement as you were absolute pish last year:thumsup2

A very poor quality game- niggly, attritional, full of histrionics and mock-anger. Very poor quality officials for both teams, too.

I feared the worst when Peterhead went ahead but credit to the side, they don't know when they are beaten and are probably the toughest Montrose side, mentally, since the early 1990s. It's the kind of game we would have been absolutely buried in 2-3 seasons ago.

Peterhead played well enough- much better that in the recent highlights of theirs that I've seen- hit the bar early on and had two or three other good chances from close in that they spurned. They passed and moved well and had some pace and menace down the flanks.

For Montrose, Sean Dillon had a really good game, Cammy Ballantyne came into it down the right in the second half, and Templeman is always tireless in trying to create opportunities. Iain Campbell gave the ball away far too often for my liking at the back- although he did come very close with a well struck free kick towards the end of the first half.

Will take the point and move on. The game was forgettable stuff.

1 hour ago, Best Team in Angus said:

You must be happy then with the huge improvement as you were absolute pish last year:thumsup2

Is that based on watching us in between 0 and 4 games against 1 side?  I think you might want a bigger sample size to get a true reflection of how we played last year.

Absolute pish is not a really a fair assessment on how we were last season....we were worse, much worse, than that!

:(

Archived