Stirling Albion v Clyde

Peaso not celebrating his goal just shows how much a class act he is!
McNeill on the other hand, a fucking nobody who thought he was better than the club. Decent player yes, but an unloyal p***k - deserved the abuse. 

Peaso is a class act.

How is McNeil an "unloyal p***k?" :lol:

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In my previous post, I've said he made an error earlier in the match (not shown on the highlights).
You are absolutely delusional thinking he could have cut that out. There's even a video to show you it.  He's clearly set ready for a shot when the ball goes into the near post; the Stirling player unintentionally scuffs it across goal, indeed it is almost going away from the goal. There's no way he can shift his balance that quickly. 
I'm quite rightly going to pick up when evidence doesn't back up opinion. You have clearly decided that no matter what the goalkeeper does, he is at fault. The difference is, you have very little evidence to back it up. 

I'm delusional really ????
Ok last three games he has played including an under 20 game , has shipped 9 goals and conceded a needless free kick and penalty resulting in winning goals, go loom at highlights of the cup games doesn't even dive for some of the goals ( oh that's right there was no point it as he didn't have a chance [emoji23])
Oh and his kicking isn't the best

Have a look at his man of the match points maybe tells you what the fans opinion of him ?

At the moment I will stay deluded if that means I don't think he us a great improvement on Gibson

3 hours ago, cfcuk said:

I'm delusional really
Ok last three games he has played including an under 20 game , has shipped 9 goals and conceded a needless free kick and penalty resulting in winning goals, go loom at highlights of the cup games doesn't even dive for some of the goals ( oh that's right there was no point it as he didn't have a chance emoji23.png)
Oh and his kicking isn't the best

Have a look at his man of the match points maybe tells you what the fans opinion of him ?

At the moment I will stay deluded if that means I don't think he us a great improvement on Gibson

It's either delusion or lies.

Alan Martin, the best goalkeeper we've had in 20+ years, once conceded 10 goals in 3 games. Was that his fault? Stats like that again paint a totally false picture, with no basis in evidence.

He wasn't at fault for either goal on Saturday, he wasn't at fault for any of the goals at Elgin (including the penalty). There is video evidence for this. Using the U20 game is pure desperation when you know fine well that nobody on here saw whether he was at fault for those goals. He made what looked like a mistake against Stranraer. I've not claimed at any point that he's been flawless; you can find fault with every single player, in every single game.

You make yourself sound like a child with the comment regarding him diving. Why dive if he's not going to save it? Why does it matter? I bet you loved it when John Sweeney sprinted 50 yards out of position to close down a 'keeper when he had no chance of getting near the ball.

His kicking is outstanding, easily the best part of his game. We've scored a couple of goals this season as a direct consequence of his distribution. It's actually baffling that you've made that comment, on a similar line to your surreal comments regarding Cuddihy on Saturday.

Man of the match points is utter desperation on your part. Gibson was our 6th best player last season based on those, and the 2nd best the previous year.

We can agree on the final sentence.

Alan Martin, the best goalkeeper we've had in 20+ years, once conceded 10 goals in 3 games. Was that his fault? Stats like that again paint a totally false picture, with no basis in evidence.
He wasn't at fault for either goal on Saturday, he wasn't at fault for any of the goals at Elgin (including the penalty). There is video evidence for this. Using the U20 game is pure desperation when you know fine well that nobody on here saw whether he was at fault for those goals. He made what looked like a mistake against Stranraer. I've not claimed at any point that he's been flawless; you can find fault with every single player, in every single game.
You make yourself sound like a child with the comment regarding him diving. Why dive if he's not going to save it? Why does it matter? I bet you loved it when John Sweeney sprinted 50 yards out of position to close down a 'keeper when he had no chance of getting near the ball.
His kicking is outstanding, easily the best part of his game. We've scored a couple of goals this season as a direct consequence of his distribution. It's actually baffling that you've made that comment, on a similar line to your surreal comments regarding Cuddihy on Saturday.
Man of the match points is utter desperation on your part. Gibson was our 6th best player last season based on those, and the 2nd best the previous year.

Decent defence of our goalkeeper.
Some I agree with and some I don't.

One question though. Why do many supporters think he's very average if he is faultless for any goals lost?

"Why dive if he's not going to save it?" - Have the strikers in this season's league suddenly became world class, hitting the postage stamp corner everyone or is his starting position or stance wrong? I don't know.

I'm happy to give him a chance though

28 minutes ago, David W said:

Best Keeper we have had in 20+ years, Alan Martin ?

Agree with most of what DW said. I'd argue though that Currie's frustrated me a couple times with not diving, as there has been one or two I feel like he could have saved if he went for them. He's a lot better than Gibson at dealing with crosses, seems commanding when coming to collect them and doesn't flap at the ball. Thought the criticism of him on Saturday was harsh though 

1 hour ago, haufdaft said:

Decent defence of our goalkeeper.
Some I agree with and some I don't.

One question though. Why do many supporters think he's very average if he is faultless for any goals lost?

"Why dive if he's not going to save it?" - Have the strikers in this season's league suddenly became world class, hitting the postage stamp corner everyone or is his starting position or stance wrong? I don't know.

I'm happy to give him a chance though

I think that with a small support in particular, opinions stated as fact regularly spread like wildfire. I remember we signed Stuart Kettlewell and someone claimed somewhere he was a goalscoring midfielder. All of that season people were commenting on why he wasn't scoring goals. He'd scored 11 in 170 appearances for QP! The same about McNiff being an out and out centre half, when he'd played a fair proportion of games at Annan as a left-back, and even a wing-back.

There's plenty of examples of it happening on a bigger scale; e.g. Rafa Benitez being criticised for zonal marking when at Liverpool on MotD. Pundits, players, supporters; everyone couldn't understand why Liverpool used zonal marking. It was lazy reporting and yet it permeated everyone's opinion; if you actually looked at the statistics, their record at set pieces matched up very well when compared to the rest of the league.

An example with Currie would be the Elgin match. He was blamed by one person (I think on the Facebook page) for the opening goal (a powerful shot from 16 yards that went in off the post). He was blamed for the penalty (a poor passback after which he brought down a striker who had been left with a tap-in). I had someone come up to me at the Stenny game (who wasn't at Elgin) and say, "We won't miss Currie today, I heard he had a nightmare at Elgin". In reality, he had set up a goal with a quick kick-out, and saved a one-on-one at 2-2 and had very little to do otherwise. He'd not been anywhere near having a nightmare.

I've seen people state things like "Currie is worth a goal a game to the opposition"; again, contrary to any actual evidence. A lower league goalkeeper could perhaps have done a bit better at Berwick, and then there's the Stranraer incident. Apart from that... Yet I've no doubt people (some who may not make games for whatever reason) read that and take it as being close to a fact.

The shots he's referring to are the ones against Kilmarnock/Ayr. Premier league players if given a free shot at goal can easily the top corner. I don't think there's been many examples against the cloggers in this league. The one thing I'd say is that if he'd dived for these shots he couldn't save, I doubt he'd be attracting as much criticism for some of the later goals that haven't remotely been his fault. First opinions (and most people's first sight of him in action was the Killie game where he didn't make those dives) have a huge impact; hence why you still have people claiming Cuddihy does nothing (he's been excellent since the Berwick game), people still have a go at McNiff/Gormley even though they've been reasonably consistent (without being outstanding) for ages and people think Scott Ferguson is still a mini-legend despite contributing nothing for years.

1 hour ago, GYSPY ARMY said:

Best Keeper we have had in 20+ years, Alan Martin ?

Absolutely, at least as a permanent option (Filip Mentel was obviously a good goalie). All-round goalkeepers like that are very rare; he was good at every facet of the game.

Much better distribution than Halliwell, much better in the air than Hutton and much less erratic than Reidford, all of whom were 'keepers who did a great job for Clyde in that time.

And breath

Nice personalised post there [emoji23]

Had a 2 year deal and one year into that he decides he doesn't want to play for us anymore. After being part of a pathetic team he should've been using that extra year to show us what he's worth and kick on, but he chose to sidestep and leave the club. f**k him 

Not really a sidestep, going by last seasons league table we are the better team. He obviously didn't enjoy his time at Clyde and wanted to move on. Nothing wrong with that.

Had a 2 year deal and one year into that he decides he doesn't want to play for us anymore. After being part of a pathetic team he should've been using that extra year to show us what he's worth and kick on, but he chose to sidestep and leave the club. f**k him 

What an absolute heads gone of a post!

I was more upset about Frazer McGhee leaving than I ever was by McNeil's departure.

McNeil was overrated. To paraphrase David W post about Currie, once a myth is created, its easy for that to become "fact".

He was part of one of the worst defences to play for one of the worst Clyde teams ever.

Good riddance

Must admit to a complete indifference to players who move on in most cases. In the case of those now at Stirling - yes Peaso may be a class act, but in the twilight and I wouldn't swap ANY striker in the league(Rory M at Peterhead included) for Goodwillie. McNeil was a decent player, but also very prone to monumental brain farts. A fully fit Duffie could and should be a more than adequate replacement/improvement.

It's funny to me though that McNeill is criticised for a lack of loyalty, when the most unloyal "player" we had last year had a fund created for him, some clowns even making him out to be one of the finest players to EVER wear the jersey.

When in reality he played ten games, was unfortunately injured, had his operation paid for at great expense to the club in current climate, then refused to prove himself. Not to mention the alleged unrest he caused in dressing rooms, public disturbances caused off the pitch , and asking club for more money at every single opportunity.

McNeill may have felt his future lay elsewhere and that is/was his prerogative, but I would have him WAY down the list of those who could be accused of not repaying the clubs faith.

Archived