Arbroath vs Albion Rovers

We had to start with same team that played so well at Ayr, But changes need to made for next week, Swankie, Denholm, Whatley and Hammy were beyond poor, does Swankie play to justify the fee that was paid? Him and McCord are very similar but id have McCord starting ahead of him, 

Wonder if we will go in for a striker on loan to cover for Doris? Also would like too see another Defender brought in to keep the current back 4 on toes

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The players switched off after the 5 minute stoppage,Doris going off shouldn't affect the defence but they along with the rest of the team went AWOL for a couple of minutes after Doris got took off.In the second half defensively we just capitulated chasing the game.Hutton getting stick on here for the first two goals but the whole defence seemed culpable from what i saw,how many one on one's did he save in the second half.

Agree 100 percent. First one was just a simple ball right over Ricky and Tam, one on one, he came out to close Trouten down but it was a great finish.

Second one I've no clue what Ricky was doing and again another good finish. If Gomes was in nobody would bat an eyelid at the keeper.

Think they had 4 1 on 1s, 1 goal, Hutton saved 2 and one off the line. Through no real brilliance from themselves either, just simple balls through the massive holes in the centre of defence. ToB done excellently at times winning the ball back and playing it forward but position wise him and Ricky were all over the place.

Don't think the central midfield gave them a lot of protection to be fair but still.

Well! That was very disappointing. Arbroath were the better team until Doris got injured and it was like the rest of the lads were in shock for the 5 minutes after he was stretchered off. 

Bizarrely, when your main striker goes off injured the manager brings on a winger who is clearly not fully fit instead of another striker! Why he brought on Linn instead of Hester is baffling. Kane showed when he did come on that he would trouble their defence and hit the post then fluked one in whilst falling over. Then to take off Kadir who was by far our best player is even more baffling.

As I have said before, DC and his coaching team won the league for AFC only 4 months ago so we need to be grateful.and patient. But his substitutions at times make you scratch your head. I don't think that he rates Hester but when Kane scored Dick gestured to someone in the home crowd to shut up. Put him on sooner then Dick and he might get you more goals. I also cannot understand why he seems to think that Swankie is beyond criticism. 

12 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Second one I've no clue what Ricky was doing and again another good finish. If Gomes was in nobody would bat an eyelid at the keeper.

Exactly, there seems to be a bit of a witch hunt for Hutton he's had one bad half as far as i've seen this season,Gomes had a few howlers last season as well. 

1 hour ago, scillybirder said:

What was Dick doing at the final whistle with the Albion player. Handbags, buy why?

I was out of the gate as soon as the whistle went so didn't see it. Do you know which Albion player it was?

Well I think it's safe to say yesterday was a complete and utter disaster for us, it couldn't have actually been much worse. Hammered at home by a team we should be aiming to finish above and one of our most important players, who is frankly irreplaceable, out for at best a month and at worst for the rest of the calendar year by the sounds of it.

We were on top until Doris was injured then absolutely fell apart. I thought taking Omar off was almost unbelievable, a guy who had been putting in a really good shift and creating chances while another player who had clearly chucked it by this point stayed on. I like Gavin Swankie, he is clearly an extremely talented football player at this level and can create chances/ score goals out of nothing which can be invaluable at times. However, yesterday he performance was unfortunately verging on disgraceful. Everyone has an off day, and he certainly had one yesterday, but it was what comes across as a real lack of effort and basic application that was unacceptable, alongside the petulance of throwing his arms about and moaning to referee every time he lost the ball. Gav is 33 now, has been playing in the SPFL for 15 years up to the highest level for several of them, has been a club captain at a previous club and is one of our most senior players now. Considering that, you would expect a player with those credentials to be trying to lead from the front, but Gav seemed to do the complete opposite. Very, very disappointing.

We seem to have the same issues as last season where when we are the ones having to press the game and open things up a bit we are vulnerable to getting picked off as the other team break and we struggle to break the opposition down when they're set up to defend/ not concede and losing Doris is going to make things even worse. He is absolutely impossible to replace at what he does, and therefore we're going to need to change the way we play up top. If we play on putting the high balls up to Swanks for the next few months while Doris isn't there we will struggle massively.

We must remember this same team put in a superb performance and won away to Ayr just a couple of weeks ago, and every team/ player will have off days and it will take time to get things as we want them. While there are plenty of negatives from yesterday, and absolutely zero positives, it was the opposite two weeks ago and we have put in some good performances up till now which can't be completely disregarded after one awful performance.

Overall these things take time though, especially when we've had 8 of the squad (all teachers) away on holiday over pre-season and McCord/ Swanks only got back last week :rolleyes::rolleyes:

It was a funny game yesterday, all was well until we lost our best and most important player, not bringing Hester on, losing two quick goals and going in at half-time 2 nil down, even the Albion Rovers supporters could really believe it, but that was where we were, but instead of tightening up we lost all discipline, the gap between the holding midfielders and the centre-backs was massive and Trouten just sat in there, it was not rocket science what Rovers did, but we did nothing to change it, also the changes yesterday were utterly bewildering

Well I think it's safe to say yesterday was a complete and utter disaster for us, it couldn't have actually been much worse. Hammered at home by a team we should be aiming to finish above and one of our most important players, who is frankly irreplaceable, out for at best a month and at worst for the rest of the calendar year by the sounds of it.
We were on top until Doris was injured then absolutely fell apart. I thought taking Omar off was almost unbelievable, a guy who had been putting in a really good shift and creating chances while another player who had clearly chucked it by this point stayed on. I like Gavin Swankie, he is clearly an extremely talented football player at this level and can create chances/ score goals out of nothing which can be invaluable at times. However, yesterday he performance was unfortunately verging on disgraceful. Everyone has an off day, and he certainly had one yesterday, but it was what comes across as a real lack of effort and basic application that was unacceptable, alongside the petulance of throwing his arms about and moaning to referee every time he lost the ball. Gav is 33 now, has been playing in the SPFL for 15 years up to the highest level for several of them, has been a club captain at a previous club and is one of our most senior players now. Considering that, you would expect a player with those credentials to be trying to lead from the front, but Gav seemed to do the complete opposite. Very, very disappointing.
We seem to have the same issues as last season where when we are the ones having to press the game and open things up a bit we are vulnerable to getting picked off as the other team break and we struggle to break the opposition down when they're set up to defend/ not concede and losing Doris is going to make things even worse. He is absolutely impossible to replace at what he does, and therefore we're going to need to change the way we play up top. If we play on putting the high balls up to Swanks for the next few months while Doris isn't there we will struggle massively.
We must remember this same team put in a superb performance and won away to Ayr just a couple of weeks ago, and every team/ player will have off days and it will take time to get things as we want them. While there are plenty of negatives from yesterday, and absolutely zero positives, it was the opposite two weeks ago and we have put in some good performances up till now which can't be completely disregarded after one awful performance.
Overall these things take time though, especially when we've had 8 of the squad (all teachers) away on holiday over pre-season and McCord/ Swanks only got back last week :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Agree 100 percent.

It's important not to get too high or too low after a game. We know what we're capable of both good and bad.

Games like yesterday can't happen again though, I understand having a period in the game where you're all over the place but that needs to be sorted quickly after it starts happening.

It was genuinely 50 minutes of being a total shambles defensively, not great going forward either but we still had chances.

The amount of chances they had through not doing anything particularly good was frightening. If that was an Ayr or Raith yesterday it would've been a massacre. Night and day from that Ayr game.

There's a few small positives to take, the fact Doris is not completely goosed like everyone thought and the fact there's a Derby game against a struggling Forfar next week to try bounce back in.

Archived