Brechin v Bairns - Basement Battle

58 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

That's a good point. Someone said earlier we would make the playoffs ??

Not sure about that, 9th looks beyond this manager.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Not quite. We still had the likes of crunchie playing and cash was pished on the likes of Lee mair, Lee wilkie, paul wright , neil murray and steven watson. All who failed miserably. Plus we were still paying our backup goalie myles hogarth a ridiculous wage. McCalls budget the next season wasn't much different he just spent it better and got decent players to sign for less money than they probably could've got elsewhere.

That's bollocks, the budget the following season was night and day, around 8 or 9 of that team either left league football a season after or never lasted long thereafter. the wonders of Steven Rennie, Ricky Waddell, Chic Pearson, Lee Miller, Andy Rogers, Mark Kerr, Ian Morris and Darren Hill were throughout asked to do a job collectively for a season at times.

We had Paul Wright and Steven Watson for 3 months because the well was dry, the varying loans in would have been penny's if anything(petty sure Mair was expenses), Myles was the first choice goalie with rookie Darren Hill the back up and McAllister was mainly used as a late sub or a 60 min man and sure he was injured tale end of the season too.

Totten was the typical old skool manager but he seriously had his hands tied behind his back

Need the fans to be loud and proud for next week. The players deserve our support #expecttheunexpected #inhoustonwetrust #livinginahoustiewonderland

The players will get my support but to say that they "deserve our support" is ridiculous given their efforts recently.

38 minutes ago, MrDust said:

That's bollocks, the budget the following season was night and day, around 8 or 9 of that team either left league football a season after or never lasted long thereafter. the wonders of Steven Rennie, Ricky Waddell, Chic Pearson, Lee Miller, Andy Rogers, Mark Kerr, Ian Morris and Darren Hill were throughout asked to do a job collectively for a season at times.

We had Paul Wright and Steven Watson for 3 months because the well was dry, the varying loans in would have been penny's if anything(petty sure Mair was expenses), Myles was the first choice goalie with rookie Darren Hill the back up and McAllister was mainly used as a late sub or a 60 min man and sure he was injured tale end of the season too.

Totten was the typical old skool manager but he seriously had his hands tied behind his back

Yeah because players like hogarth (who was dropped at one point if i remember rightly which is what i meant by backup earlier)were on huge wages. Do you really think that the board are going to give totten hee haw money one minute to allow us to virtually get relegated and then suddenly find loads of extra cash to spend the next season.  I remember speaking to McCall at the time and he was told that he'd have to make do on what totten had. Fortunately for him all the high wage earners contracts were up so he could start from scratch and he was very good at getting players he'd had at the likes of clydebank to sign for peanuts as they had faith in the 'project'. 

12 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Yeah because players like hogarth (who was dropped at one point if i remember rightly which is what i meant by backup earlier)were on huge wages. Do you really think that the board are going to give totten hee haw money one minute to allow us to virtually get relegated and then suddenly find loads of extra cash to spend the next season.  I remember speaking to McCall at the time and he was told that he'd have to make do on what totten had. Fortunately for him all the high wage earners contracts were up so he could start from scratch and he was very good at getting players he'd had at the likes of clydebank to sign for peanuts as they had faith in the 'project'. 

budget went up throughout the season with more crowds coming in than last season, more were added throughout, the 9 or so I mentioned wouldve been on peanuts.

The likes of Henry, Taylor,McKenzie, Nicholls and Reid came in later...no way the budget was similar

7 minutes ago, MrDust said:

budget went up throughout the season with more crowds coming in than last season, more were added throughout, the 9 or so I mentioned wouldve been on peanuts.

The likes of Henry, Taylor,McKenzie, Nicholls and Reid came in later...no way the budget was similar

I'm not saying it didn't perhaps increase as the season went on due to the teams success and there for higher crowds but then totten wouldve had the same bonus if he hadn't signed duds on a fortune with the budget he had. McCall s starting budget though was the same as totten he just did far better with it and then reaped the benefits of that success by having more budget to spend . Totten did well when he firsr came back but hung on a season too long and shouldve bowed out before the embarrassment of basically relegating us before the reprieve.

Just now, Disco Duck said:

Sweep - how many minutes in before the Houston Out chant starts next week?

Chants mean hee haw to our bod. The only way to get a change is to stop going especially if you patg. Only a lack of revenue coming in will force them to do something.

Houston spouting the usual pish in his post match interview although only one mention of talk is cheap this week. No mention of whether players are getting a day off or not tomorrow. Would be good to see him getting asked some decent questions instead of the usual fauning over him.

21 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I'm not saying it didn't perhaps increase as the season went on due to the teams success and there for higher crowds but then totten wouldve had the same bonus if he hadn't signed duds on a fortune with the budget he had. McCall s starting budget though was the same as totten he just did far better with it and then reaped the benefits of that success by having more budget to spend . Totten did well when he firsr came back but hung on a season too long and shouldve bowed out before the embarrassment of basically relegating us before the reprieve.

He was left with kids, a few pros a 37 yr old crunchie, he didnt sign Myles and if you are suggesting the budgets were the same, im needing a hell of a lot more drink to convince me otherwise, we also only had Watson for one month whom altho was a horrible shape for a footballer was pretty effective yet we didnt have money to keep him. The two teams were opening games against Ayr

*** if I remember correctly, a sponsor was paying for Paul Wright for 3 months

Screenshot 2017-09-09 at 20.43.46.png

Screenshot 2017-09-09 at 20.44.40.png

Archived