Raith v Ayr Ayr fya etc etc

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Raith fans surely at the wind up thinking Higgins second booking is a foul. A truly pathetic dive.

Contact was before the dive, barged him then clipped his heels.

linesman right there to give it, even though he missed Higgins kicking Spence right in front of him earlier.

Captain let you down, yet you board still applauded him off, something not right there.

Oh and why the 'big time' surnames on jerseys in this league ?

6 hours ago, Ayrfan1910 said:

That's quite harsh considering we out played you. Think it might be a different story when yous come down to Somerset. P.S were keeping McGuffie. P.S.S don't bring your supposed 'casuals' as they are an utter embarrassment plus they canny fight

By far the most erudite and, clearly, the most deeply considered post from an AUFC supporter I have seen on this match so far.

The Ayr board really should be considering the author for their 2017 -2018 Promotion Drive Think Tank as a Fans Representative. 

9 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

linesman right there to give it, even though he missed Higgins kicking Spence right in front of him earlier.

Captain let you down, yet you board still applauded him off, something not right there.

This is spot on, quite clearly seen on highlights too.

No reason for complaint, Higgins fouled right in front of the Linesman, red card,end of.

We've only won 4 out of our last 16 games against Ayr. Despite that, we generally finish above them.

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=172&team2_id=2102&teamTabs=h2h

When you look at the stats you think 'Ayr do well against us' but I think they win a lot of battles against us but then go on to lose the war. Maybe their luck will change this season.

I had forgotten they beat us at Starks in 2011. That was the season we looked doomed in February, then went on a long run of good form where there was that injury time Casa equaliser and pitch invasion in the 2-2 draw with Ayr. We stay up, Ayr go down.

Then there was the season after we were both promoted. Pretty even but we get the better of them at the end of the season with a win at Somerset Park, and I recall a Simmons last minute equaliser to get a 1-1 at Starks. We stay up, Ayr go down.

2008/09 season. We've had the better of the first 3 fixtures between the sides, then Ayr come to Starks and beat us 1-0. Looks like a decisive win, but we go on a long unbeaten run and snatch the title in the second last game.

Could throw 2003/04 in here too. We stay up, Ayr go down after a decisive 2-1 victory at Starks.

8 hours ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

I can see why Ayr supporters hate the Rovers. 

We constantly do them over in what must be frustrating style for them. If we're not relegating them, we're beating them to promotion.

Last minute winners, equalisers etc. 

It's verging on bullying. 

I just look upon more as justified payback for their theft of Malky Robertson and Wullie McLean in my early years supporting the Rovers.

He barged him and clipped his heels yet he barely even moved until hilariously falling over.

I wasn't there so I'll accept Raith fans would have had a better angle and he may have but it's still an embarrassing dive.

Oh and going by those highlights I wouldn't take either keeper in my amateur team - utterly appalling basic errors.

11 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

He barged him and clipped his heels yet he barely even moved until hilariously falling over.

I wasn't there so I'll accept Raith fans would have had a better angle and he may have but it's still an embarrassing dive.

Oh and going by those highlights I wouldn't take either keeper in my amateur team - utterly appalling basic errors.

Agree with this, for each of the goals they were poor attempts at saving them.

Can see us fielding young Rory before long.......the Goalie, no' ROARY  the Mascot!!

On a scale of 1 to 10, how much did we miss Ross Callachan?

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=172&team2_id=2102&teamTabs=h2h

When you look at the stats you think 'Ayr do well against us' but I think they win a lot of battles against us but then go on to lose the war. Maybe their luck will change this season.

I had forgotten they beat us at Starks in 2011. That was the season we looked doomed in February, then went on a long run of good form where there was that injury time Casa equaliser and pitch invasion in the 2-2 draw with Ayr. We stay up, Ayr go down.

Then there was the season after we were both promoted. Pretty even but we get the better of them at the end of the season with a win at Somerset Park, and I recall a Simmons last minute equaliser to get a 1-1 at Starks. We stay up, Ayr go down.

2008/09 season. We've had the better of the first 3 fixtures between the sides, then Ayr come to Starks and beat us 1-0. Looks like a decisive win, but we go on a long unbeaten run and snatch the title in the second last game.

Could throw 2003/04 in here too. We stay up, Ayr go down after a decisive 2-1 victory at Starks.

Barry Smith has been excellent for us so far but I thought he got the reshuffle wrong when Benedictus got injured. I'd have moved Murray to centre half, put Matthews to left back and kept Robertson in midfield. I'd have thought a makeshift left back was preferable to a makeshift centre half and we'd have kept Robertson in his best position giving Ayr less opportunity to boss the midfield.
I'm not a Davo fan but have to say he was outstanding today.
Also liked the look of Ayr's number 8.

Are you high? Zanatta looked awful. He looked unfit especially for someone who only played 30mins. I'm sure he's a fine player but he was terrible.
As for Herron, what he lacks in mobility he makes up for in composites. Some tidy passes and im sure he'll get better with games.

Agree with this. Zannatta had a shocker and I thought Herron was impressive and played some good passes. He also got forward well. I think he'll be a big player for us over the season.

As for the game, it was always going to be tight and that was a very satisfying win especially as we played most of the game without 3 of our regular back 5. I thought that Davidson was outstanding and should have been man of the match although Vaughan not far behind him. We can go on about his goalscoring etc but that last ditch block he made in the last minute typified the work he's been putting in defensively

Early days but things are looking good.

Barry Smith has been excellent for us so far but I thought he got the reshuffle wrong when Benedictus got injured.

I would disagree with this. We won the game so would suggest how Smith chose to reshuffle was spot on.

That's not to say your theory doesn't make more sense, on the face of it.

Feeling pretty confident about the season ahead now.  

Andy Geggan should never play in midfield again though, a capable right back and nothing else now.  

Craig McGuffie is very bad at shooting and he should be encouraged not to do so

Raith Rovers are no very good

Was strange to hear Mccall say that as his proudest moment with Ayr.

If playing some decent football, creating not very much and having a dreadful back line and goalkeeper is his proudest moment then that's absolutely bizarre. Ayr played some really lovely passing football, but it really didn't lead to much.

Also for as much as we were second best first half, we had about as much good chances as Ayr. Ayr held on to the ball much better but I think how well they played is being overstated a bit.

I'd put the inability of Ayr to score down to some really good Rovers defending. Not much glaring misses at all. Defend like we did in the 2nd half all season we will be absolutely fine. Tricky one without Benedictus.

10 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Never in danger of losing? We missed a load of sitters in the second half and if we had been more clinical in front of goal would have taken something from the game.

What's your point! You didn't take your chances that's football. If Rovers had taken there chances we could have easily beaten East Fife 10-0 but we didn't. Loads of sitters not at the same game I was at. 

I think we played some good passing football but had no one that could finish. Second half everyone was shouting just hit it but another pass meant chances were thrown away. Craig Moore was missed his work rate is much higher than anything Shankland did all game. We need to win against Alloa to get back on track.

Archived