Hearts Rugby Club v The Famous Aberdeen

Guest Bob Mahelp
53 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Very good post.

For the life of me I can't understand why we don't put Christie in the no 10 role and build around that.

Identify your best player and his best role and work around that. The signing of players like ball should be to free up players like Christie to express themselves.

I don't think we've actually had a great performance yet this season, we need one soon.

Clearly the positive is that we are in such a position despite not playing very well.

I think we're where we are because our first 6 fixtures were against probably 5 bottom 6 teams and Hearts. 

We'll have to get this defensive nonsense sorted out pronto because for the 4th game in a row the opposition was running through us at will. The defence looks like it's holding on by its fingernails half the time and there's no defensive cover from the midfield. We're constantly playing our best players out of position simply because McInnes is desperate to shoehorn McLean into the side....God knows why, he's been rank every single game.

I think McInnes recognises that without Hayes and McGinn, Rooney offers almost nothing. I can see him being sold in January tbh.

And one more thing in this rant. Stop playing Scott Wright on the left wing. He's got no left foot and his trick of cutting inside constantly is easily figured out by any team that isn't Partick Thistle. 

Fergie never played Peter Weir on the right wing. Stop fannying about Deek, and play Wright where he should be played.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For me there are four positions who should be built around for our team: Lewis in nets, O'Connor at CB, Christie as no10 and May up top. Shinnie should also play, but obviously is more versatile as to where he plays. Everything else is up for grabs IMO. McInnes has a lot to ponder, although at home to Killie next week is a perfect opportunity to find form, and settle into a good system. 
The problem with McInnes'  tinkering is that each time it doesn't work, he needs to tinker more to get the right solution. If he sets the team out like he did yesterday ever again, he's fucking nuts. 

I agree Russell. With what we have just now I would add Shinnie in as a fifth player to build round, have him as a CM. After that, we need to build round then and not shoehorn in too many similar players for fear of annoying them.

One thing that frustrates me a bit yesterday was the hesitancy when we got into a decent attacking position. McLean in the second half had a perfect opportunity to ideally shoot, or at worse angle the ball into the box, but hesitated, then dribbled into a hearts player and lost possession. Christie got into a great crossing position, but passed it back and the momentum was lost.

4 minutes ago, Romeo said:

The only thing I have to say after watching the highlights is that Aberdeen need to get that blue strip in the bin immediately.

Nit

IMG_7931.JPG

Looks like I was wrong, as explained above, but I was fairly sure there are a few grounds in the Uk which don't have permitting dimensions but it's allowed as they were created before the current law was. I have a feeling White Heart Lane is one of them.

Could be something to do with competition-specific rules on pitch dimensions rather than the actual basic rules of the game? Eg the English Premier League may have introduced a narrower range of allowed dimensions in 1992 (or some time after) but Spurs were allowed to continue with a smaller pitch for practical reasons.

There's also competition-specific rules on the area around the outside of the pitch that wouldn't be provided for in the basic rules of the game which are quite brief, eg. I think Pittodrie and possibly Tynecastle don't meet the Uefa requirements but they're allowed to play in the Europa League anyway. Or at least that's one of the reasons AFC have given in the past for having to move.

The competition-specific rules aren't the same as the laws of the game, where for obvious reasons it's pretty difficult to change stuff like pitch dimensions without rendering thousands (millions?) of pitches worldwide useless.

All of the above is very likely to be ill-informed havering on my part, BTW.

Pleased to hear about Hearts' performance against the 2nd best in Scotland. Was fearing that Hibs would trounce us in the first derby of the season but now have grounds for optimism. After criticising his DoF role, I reckon Levein will come good as a boss.

After criticising his DoF role, I reckon Levein will come good as a boss.

Levein has already proven himself as an effective SPL boss - nothing overly fancy or pretty, it'll be a robust style with lots of fouls - but enough to get results in this league.

9 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The laws of the game allow you to play on a pitch far smaller than Pittodrie or Tynecastle 90x45 metres is the minimum and 120 by 90 is the maximum

But in practice different competitions will generally enforce a narrower limit

You're probably talking about the rules for UEFA competitions as opposed to league games

SPFL regulations state 95x60m minimum, 105x68m recommended (same as UEFA competitions), 110x72m maximum. https://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__therulesofthespfl_1375800603.pdf#page=63

Minimum rugby pitch size is (94+10)x68m, maximum (100+22)x70m.

Stop playing Scott Wright on the left wing. He's got no left foot and his trick of cutting inside constantly is easily figured out by any team that isn't Partick Thistle. 

Fergie never played Peter Weir on the right wing. Stop fannying about Deek, and play Wright where he should be played.

Would you want Greg Stewart playing on the left as well?

Better hope Rodgers isn't reading this. Imagine how many more goals Sinclair will score once he figures out he should be playing on the right.

45 minutes ago, Sheep77 said:

Didn't know if it was a pen with Rooney at the time but just seen it and it's a stonewaller  

The beauty of tv replays. The referee and linesman don't have that luxury.

17 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Levein has already proven himself as an effective SPL boss - nothing overly fancy or pretty, it'll be a robust style with lots of fouls - but enough to get results in this league.

Very true. His Scotland tenure has masked all that and his DoF role at Hearts was questioned by many. His past Hearts and Dun Utd teams were hard to beat and most importantly for us wee teams who don't have success guaranteed, he fired up the team against our city rivals - something that hasn't happened for a couple of years.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Watched the game back again and to be honest Hearts were pretty rank for the first 35 minutes. Then they suddenly realised that all they had to do was to mark Christie.

After that it was pretty much all one way traffic. 

McInnes needs to get this sorted out before we play a big team. 

21 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Watched the game back again and to be honest Hearts were pretty rank for the first 35 minutes. Then they suddenly realised that all they had to do was to mark Christie.

After that it was pretty much all one way traffic. 

McInnes needs to get this sorted out before we play a big team. 

When do Aberdeen play Celtic? they are the only big team in Scotland now.

Archived