Hearts Rugby Club v The Famous Aberdeen

19 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Interesting decision from Levein to condense the vast swathe of Murrayfield grass into a small fitba pitch.

Nothing interesting about it in the slightest. Common sense to make the pitch dimensions similar to your home ground, the players should be more familiar with.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

Think McInnes is still working out what to do with this collection of players we've assembled - he loves an early season tinker, even when we had a settled squad.

Interesting decision from Levein to condense the vast swathe of Murrayfield grass into a small fitba pitch.
Designed to make it a Levein sh1tfest - and Hearts eventually coped better than that, as some of our players seem to give up the prospect of us becoming any kind of attacking force in the second half.
McLean, yet again, a particular disappointment- is he undroppable?

heh.png

And as I explained earlier it would be against the laws of association football to play on a 140m long pitch

I might be wrong on this but are Tynecastle dimensions not against the laws of association football too? Someone was saying yesterday that's why the dimensions aren't actually the same as Tynecastle, they are just as close as the laws permit. There's an allowance for already existing stadia apparently. There's a few in England with the same thing.

I might be wrong on this but are Tynecastle dimensions not against the laws of association football too? Someone was saying yesterday that's why the dimensions aren't actually the same as Tynecastle, they are just as close as the laws permit. There's an allowance for already existing stadia apparently. There's a few in England with the same thing.

The laws of the game allow you to play on a pitch far smaller than Pittodrie or Tynecastle 90x45 metres is the minimum and 120 by 90 is the maximum

But in practice different competitions will generally enforce a narrower limit

You're probably talking about the rules for UEFA competitions as opposed to league games

The laws of the game allow you to play on a pitch far smaller than Pittodrie or Tynecastle 90x45 metres is the minimum and 120 by 90 is the maximum

But in practice different competitions will generally enforce a narrower limit

You're probably talking about the rules for UEFA competitions as opposed to league games

That might be it. It wasn't something I knew anything about.

I went to a game at New Douglas Park when they still used grass. It was the middle of winter and the sides of the pitch hadn't thawed, but the rest had. They just drew new by-lines about a yard further inwards on both sides.

I remember Considine on more than one occasion playing to the wrong line.

No complaints from myself about Hearts, Murrayfield, the pitch, the ref, whatever. Had a great time in Edinburgh pre match, and the game was fairly fought in a ground which generated a fair atmosphere despite the relatively sparse crowd. Hearts were great defensively, Souttar, Hughes and Berra are as good a back three as you'll get in the league, outwith Celtic. Wasn't convinced with your keeper though, his kicking was very poor.

We were a shambles. It's hard to blame the players for this one, Derek's got to take the blame. First half I couldn't figure out what the hell formation we were playing. Shinnie, Wright, McLean and Considine were all popping up at left back. Logan looked to be playing right centre back but bombed up the park all the time. Ball was supposed to be dropping in when we lost the ball but didn't look particularly good at defending or passing. O'Connor gets pass marks for basically being the only active defender in a clean sheet, and Christie did well whenever he got the ball, which was less than it should have been, considering he was out wide AGAIN. Shinnie again looked lost, simply because he didn't really have a position. Ended the game as a central attacking mid which is mad when you have Christie and McLean on the park. Rooney had a Rooney game, he provides nothing other than goals. May worked his socks off, but was fighting a losing battle vs the three centre halves. Wright backed himself against the defenders but never really challenged them.

Joe Lewis proved why he's the best keeper in the league. Previously he's pulled off one or two saves a game, but today he was forced to perform heroics he hasn't really required to do in the past. Any other goalkeeper in the league in our team and we'd have lost that game.

Hard to be disappointed with a point, after a performance like that. Hearts should have won, and Isma can be particularly at fault for not pulling the trigger earlier on at least two occasions. McInnes needs to get his head out his arse with these tactics and go back to basics for the next few games. Christie and McLean in the same team do not work without a player like Ryan Jack to anchor the midfield. Shinnie doesn't have the discipline for that role. Whatever's happened with Kari needs to be sorted too, because he surely deserves a chance in the team, considering the way the defence and midfield have looked so soft. He played a full 90 for Iceland, he's fit and he should play.

Hearts should have destroyed us yesterday in all fairness. 3-0 would have been a far fairer reflection on this game than 0-0. Murrayfield was suitably meh, quite difficult to get any perception about midway into the far half and the catering was nowhere near enough but a rare one off I guess. Certainly don't get the love for it. Both Murrayfield and Hampden are rotten for football in comparison to Parkhead and Ibrox.

As mentioned by Russell Anderson above, McInnes doesn't have a clue what his best team is. Trying to shoehorn in heaps of attacking players for fear of pissing off those he has to drop. Said the same after the Dundee game, ridiculously open just now and in reality we're very lucky to be where we are in the league.

We lacked a basic structure yesterday and the three at the back with no wingbacks was crazy. Christie being moved wide and becoming totally ineffectual to accommodate McLean is crazy. Absolutely crazy. Christie is our best player when played behind the striker and it is an abject waste of his talents when he is played wide.

So the task for McInnes is perfectly plain, stop shorehorning in so many attacking players, make some big decisions and get us back into some semblance of structure. If that involves pissing off the likes of McLean, Tansey, Stewart, GMS, Maynard and Rooney, then so bloody well be it.

We can't rely on Joe Lewis to have wondergame after wondergame while we stay ridiculously open. And whatever is happening with Arnason, he really needs a proper run of games in defence in a 4.

Hearts should have destroyed us yesterday in all fairness. 3-0 would have been a far fairer reflection on this game than 0-0. Murrayfield was suitably meh, quite difficult to get any perception about midway into the far half and the catering was nowhere near enough but a rare one off I guess. Certainly don't get the love for it. Both Murrayfield and Hampden are rotten for football in comparison to Parkhead and Ibrox.

As mentioned by Russell Anderson above, McInnes doesn't have a clue what his best team is. Trying to shoehorn in heaps of attacking players for fear of pissing off those he has to drop. Said the same after the Dundee game, ridiculously open just now and in reality we're very lucky to be where we are in the league.

We lacked a basic structure yesterday and the three at the back with no wingbacks was crazy. Christie being moved wide and becoming totally ineffectual to accommodate McLean is crazy. Absolutely crazy. Christie is our best player when played behind the striker and it is an abject waste of his talents when he is played wide.

So the task for McInnes is perfectly plain, stop shorehorning in so many attacking players, make some big decisions and get us back into some semblance of structure. If that involves pissing off the likes of McLean, Tansey, Stewart, GMS, Maynard and Rooney, then so bloody well be it.

We can't rely on Joe Lewis to have wondergame after wondergame while we stay ridiculously open. And whatever is happening with Arnason, he really needs a proper run of games in defence in a 4.

Very good post.

For the life of me I can't understand why we don't put Christie in the no 10 role and build around that.

Identify your best player and his best role and work around that. The signing of players like ball should be to free up players like Christie to express themselves.

I don't think we've actually had a great performance yet this season, we need one soon.

Clearly the positive is that we are in such a position despite not playing very well.

For me there are four positions who should be built around for our team: Lewis in nets, O'Connor at CB, Christie as no10 and May up top. Shinnie should also play, but obviously is more versatile as to where he plays. Everything else is up for grabs IMO. McInnes has a lot to ponder, although at home to Killie next week is a perfect opportunity to find form, and settle into a good system. 

The problem with McInnes'  tinkering is that each time it doesn't work, he needs to tinker more to get the right solution. If he sets the team out like he did yesterday ever again, he's fucking nuts. 

Aye, that's why we're allowed to do it all the time, m8. 

Looks like I was wrong, as explained above, but I was fairly sure there are a few grounds in the Uk which don't have permitting dimensions but it's allowed as they were created before the current law was. I have a feeling White Heart Lane is one of them.

Archived