Greenock Morton v Dunfermline Athletic

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Your delicious word salad is appreciated in helping to provide a sustainable future for St Mirren FC.

Thanks for your efforts. :wub:

Thought I get that fund off and running for today.

Have you guys not got a game this weekend or is that a given so you seek attention here.

9 minutes ago, Paisley Ton said:

Thought I get that fund off and running for today.

Have you guys not got a game this weekend or is that a given so you seek attention here.

:lol: Nailed it.

We're playing ICT and they've only got the one PC between them, so the thread is dead. Plus, we've not played them for a couple of years so there's next to no animosity. I don't even think anyone's mentioned Ross Tokeley yet.

I'll be gone now.

Duffy got a lot of praise from the Morton fans for the first season back in the Championship when we finished 5th and rightly so. 

He also had the fans backing after a difficult start for most of last season.for taking us to the playoffs. Yes he got some abuse at the start of last season, but going the first 5 games without a win and getting pumped by Queens Park in the cup will always bring that on at any club. Look at Inverness and Falkirk fans this season for example and our lovely Skunk neighbours last season! Overall, he got a lot of praise from Morton fans at  games, on forums and social media and it was fully deserved.

However that doesn't mean he is exempt from criticism. He has failed to replace/strengthen key areas when he has the budget and time to do so. Every year he makes the decision to play the waiting game in the hope of landing a couple of good loans. The gamble has paid off the last few seasons with Denny Johnstone, Declan McManus, Aiden Nesbitt and Jamie Lindsay coming in on loan and Gavin Gunning and Andy Murdoch permanently  but it appears his luck has run out as we have failed to bring any notable loans in this time around. That is 100% Duffy's responsibility. He recruited some players very early which was promising but then sat back for a couple of months in the hope of landing a couple late in the window.  Had he went about his business a bit earlier, we might still be in the League and Challenge cup and be a few more points better off in the league.

On his recruitment, he has also brought in a couple of questionable signings in Iredale and McManus. Very much in the panic buy department and that shouldn't be the case mid July.

I don't see any Morton fans calling for Duffy's head, indeed he still has the backing of all the support as far as I can see but we are still allowed to get frustrated with him and that's the same with every group of fans across the country.  Hopefully he manages to bring in a couple of emergency loans and/or free agents as the squad badly needs some new additions. We have enough to compete in this league but its natural for fans to want to build on the previous season and that should be the case with an increased budget. So far, Duffy is not showing any signs of that.

2 hours ago, madton said:

Duffy got a lot of praise from the Morton fans for the first season back in the Championship when we finished 5th and rightly so. 

He also had the fans backing after a difficult start for most of last season.for taking us to the playoffs. Yes he got some abuse at the start of last season, but going the first 5 games without a win and getting pumped by Queens Park in the cup will always bring that on at any club. Look at Inverness and Falkirk fans this season for example and our lovely Skunk neighbours last season! Overall, he got a lot of praise from Morton fans at  games, on forums and social media and it was fully deserved.

However that doesn't mean he is exempt from criticism. He has failed to replace/strengthen key areas when he has the budget and time to do so. Every year he makes the decision to play the waiting game in the hope of landing a couple of good loans. The gamble has paid off the last few seasons with Denny Johnstone, Declan McManus, Aiden Nesbitt and Jamie Lindsay coming in on loan and Gavin Gunning and Andy Murdoch permanently  but it appears his luck has run out as we have failed to bring any notable loans in this time around. That is 100% Duffy's responsibility. He recruited some players very early which was promising but then sat back for a couple of months in the hope of landing a couple late in the window.  Had he went about his business a bit earlier, we might still be in the League and Challenge cup and be a few more points better off in the league.

On his recruitment, he has also brought in a couple of questionable signings in Iredale and McManus. Very much in the panic buy department and that shouldn't be the case mid July.

I don't see any Morton fans calling for Duffy's head, indeed he still has the backing of all the support as far as I can see but we are still allowed to get frustrated with him and that's the same with every group of fans across the country.  Hopefully he manages to bring in a couple of emergency loans and/or free agents as the squad badly needs some new additions. We have enough to compete in this league but its natural for fans to want to build on the previous season and that should be the case with an increased budget. So far, Duffy is not showing any signs of that.

Good post, What is success for Morton ultimately your support want promotion as do officials at the club is it achievable? Anything is possible in football , looking from the outside in budget plays a huge part I see you making the play off's a successful  season getting over the line is quite another. Duffy has done wonders with Morton given the history over the past 20 years. As much as you might not think so most of us would like to see a successfull Morton. Getting more locals in to the stadium to help boost the budget. Shame this could be our last season in the championship as I see a team capable of wining the league as our games are quite enjoyable. 

4 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Good post, What is success for Morton ultimately your support want promotion as do officials at the club is it achievable? Anything is possible in football , looking from the outside in budget plays a huge part I see you making the play off's a successful  season getting over the line is quite another. Duffy has done wonders with Morton given the history over the past 20 years. As much as you might not think so most of us would like to see a successfull Morton. Getting more locals in to the stadium to help boost the budget. Shame this could be our last season in the championship as I see a team capable of wining the league as our games are quite enjoyable. 

Promotion will be the ultimate goal ( despite what some idiots within our support think) and I would say it is achievable, but that will also be the goal for most full time teams in this division this year.

Our crowds are a massive concern. When you see teams like yourselves, Falkirk and Dunfermline pulling in over 3.5k every week and we struggle to get 1800 home supporters, its always going to be a challenge to compete with that. In saying that,   i doubt your 3 budgets are that much bigger than ours( we obv don't know for sure)  so we should still be looking to compete with everyone in this league except DU.

1 hour ago, madton said:

Promotion will be the ultimate goal ( despite what some idiots within our support think) and I would say it is achievable, but that will also be the goal for most full time teams in this division this year.

Our crowds are a massive concern. When you see teams like yourselves, Falkirk and Dunfermline pulling in over 3.5k every week and we struggle to get 1800 home supporters, its always going to be a challenge to compete with that. In saying that,   i doubt your 3 budgets are that much bigger than ours( we obv don't know for sure)  so we should still be looking to compete with everyone in this league except DU.

I remember crowds coming out for Morton I'm sure with a bit of PR attached to good football it can still be done. Anyway best of luck for the season. 

54 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

It tends to be on a season to season basis with most clubs, rather than fortnightly.

Most of our fans are basing it on the period from March till now, hardly a fortnight. Try to keep up.

I wouldn't be getting over excited about the increase in the budget. Heard it's laughable.

5 hours ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

How is Quitongo playing since coming back this season? Looked a right handful at EEP before he got injured. 

The boys on fire. Problem being he seems to overshoot the runway.

Playing well and causing a lot of trouble for defenders. getting down the wings and reasonable distribution but yet to look like a finisher maybe Oliver on form will help everyone .

13 hours ago, niketon said:

I wouldn't be getting over excited about the increase in the budget. Heard it's laughable.

That might well be the case, but I know there is budget there for a player or two and Duffy hasn't utilised it.

10 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

We've had trouble breaking teams down this season but if Dunfermline come looking for the win there's the chance we could hit them on the break. Fancy Quitongo and McManus to get on the scoresheet in a decent game

6 hours ago, JamieStevenson said:

We'll probably get a couple of early goals then defend for our lives. 

Against Falkirk we just went for it in the opening stages. They were getting at us on the break but we took our chances. Having a whole front line with a goal threat rather than just relying on Nicky Clark is our biggest change this season, along with creating far more chances. We were already hard to beat and adding Shiels to the midfield has added even more composure. Him and big Wedderburn don't do much fancy but with those two in front on Morris and Ashcroft we're not (usually) easy to cut through. I'm a bit surprised at how well we started and it's a big credit not just to the signings but guys who were fringe players last season stepping in and being an improvement on the guys who kept them out the team last season. 

Before I decide if I will make this twenty pound a ticket game can someone please post a picture and detailed analysis of the referee changing rooms at Cappielow so I can decide if my hard earned twenty pound is justified this week unlike a fortnight ago. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, madton said:

That might well be the case, but I know there is budget there for a player or two and Duffy hasn't utilised it.

Everybody knows that. That doesn't mean that we should spunk it on some haddy that won't improve the first team though. 

Archived