Greenock Morton v Dunfermline Athletic

27 minutes ago, virginton said:

Everybody knows that. That doesn't mean that we should spunk it on some haddy that won't improve the first team though. 

Where have i suggested we do that?

He should be using it to address the gaps in our squad.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, All-Star-Par said:

Before I decide if I will make this twenty pound a ticket game can someone please post a picture and detailed analysis of the referee changing rooms at Cappielow so I can decide if my hard earned twenty pound is justified this week unlike a fortnight ago. Thanks. 

Dunfermline should have tickets from Morton (at some point)  which will be priced at £18. Morton fans will have to arrive at least 2 hours early to secure this bargain.

At least it should be a bargain for Pars fans,  given the increased chance of an away win. We've had one good result (St Mirren) which is in danger of looking like a fluke.

Too early to write us off obviously but we need to start shaping up fairly quickly before Duffy is required to use the 'panic loan' card.

1 hour ago, madton said:

Where have i suggested we do that?

He should be using it to address the gaps in our squad.

Which players should be signed to address gaps in the squad? 

There is a collective meltdown going on right now about the need to sign players and the somehow decisive effects of a (trivially) 'increased budget'. Which is all rather too late. The flaws in our outfield squad were in fact caused way back in the middle of the summer, when we:

1) failed to Bring Him Home

2) failed to replace Lindsay with a credible central midfielder.

3) wasted money on McManus, a 'could do a job' squad filler because Duffy failed to account for a short-term injury crisis at the back, and arguably 

4) also gave a deal to Harkins - although you could argue that he offers squad cover to Oliver.

The current issues really boil down to a lack of balance in a reasonable squad: Duffy hasn't found a system that fits our best attackers while having some control in midfield. The widespread shrieking for a sand-dancing winger won't change those facts at all. Unless there is another Murdoch available to fill the obvious shortcoming in central midfield then there isn't much that a signing would do to address the issues that people are complaining about. And when that's the case then we shouldn't enter the market - the onus is on the manager to do his job on the training ground instead. 

7 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

2 quid difference between buying before and after 1pm? What a bunch of pirates Morton are.

If the current Morton board were running a pirate ship then it'd be run aground off Langbank, blaming the Waverley for its own demise. 

Nearly a year ago Morton fans had had enough of Duffy, they had got off to an awful start & were after a badly needed win.

The Pars came calling, rolled over & got their tummys tickled.

Home win then. Home win Saturday I fear..........

31 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

2 quid difference between buying before and after 1pm? What a bunch of pirates Morton are.

Completely inconveniencing fans in the process. (to add to the shambles of the non existing season tickets and fan cards) and non functioning new turnstiles and so far shite performances on the park. And people question our poor home crowds  :thumbsdown

As VT suggests the board are lacking the guile/expertise to be pirates. We are being led by imposters.

On 9/3/2017 at 17:32, virginton said:

It's nearly ten years since Sir David Irons began his glorious stint at Cappielow and eight years this month since he was shamefully knifed in the back by two, snake players - James Grady and Alan McManus - in order to take the job themselves. Which predictably ended in utter failure and their own managerial careers sinking without trace.

A few weeks ago Sir David rocked up at Gretna 2008 to take the manager's post. Needless to say that they've stomped all over the rest of the league since. I'll be tracking his effortless progress there, prior to his triumphant return to The Famous.

Davie Irons was one of my favourite players as a youngster. He was a bit of a boo-boy target at first on account of him not being a wholehearted clogger but his silky skills soon began to dazzle the Pars faithful. Even on the perma-mud bath that was the East End pitch he'd glide about with style and grace. Until he came along I don't think I realised it was possible to score from 20 odd yards out and it was a shock to the system to see him rattling them in from outside the box without appearing to exert any effort. 

Worth listening to his appearance on Soccer FM from late last season - he is a good laugh with some decent stories to tell. 

4 hours ago, virginton said:

Which players should be signed to address gaps in the squad? 

There is a collective meltdown going on right now about the need to sign players and the somehow decisive effects of a (trivially) 'increased budget'. Which is all rather too late. The flaws in our outfield squad were in fact caused way back in the middle of the summer, when we:

1) failed to Bring Him Home

2) failed to replace Lindsay with a credible central midfielder.

3) wasted money on McManus, a 'could do a job' squad filler because Duffy failed to account for a short-term injury crisis at the back, and arguably 

4) also gave a deal to Harkins - although you could argue that he offers squad cover to Oliver.

The current issues really boil down to a lack of balance in a reasonable squad: Duffy hasn't found a system that fits our best attackers while having some control in midfield. The widespread shrieking for a sand-dancing winger won't change those facts at all. Unless there is another Murdoch available to fill the obvious shortcoming in central midfield then there isn't much that a signing would do to address the issues that people are complaining about. And when that's the case then we shouldn't enter the market - the onus is on the manager to do his job on the training ground instead. 

Not my job to identify players, that's the clubs and Duffy has had all Summer.

Apart from that, most of your points i agree with and pointed out similar points earlier in this thread.

Couple of points though;

How do you know the increased budget was trivial? What was the increase?

Gunning coming back- We did try, Duffy confirmed that but he didn't want to come back and we could  never afford the wages so that's not a failure.

You seem to be in the minority about the need for a winger which is fair enough but you only need to look at how well Morgan, Cardle, McMullan etc are doing at our rivals to see how important a player like that is. You think they are sand dancers, i think they are an important part of any squad at this level.

This ticketing moaning must come to an end.

There is no point telling a greeting kid to stop, it will sort it's self out someday, but maybe not this year.

Luck ones like me ordered tickets and picked them up on time, they just don't work but flashing them at turnstiles gets you in.

The idea that you apply a £2 surcharge had method, as it encouraged and rewarded people for coming early and avoiding bottlenecks at 3.00 (Saturdays anyway)

I have previously suggested how the club should take this forward while fully informing fans but looks like they are deaf or afraid to admit out of their depth in managing this project.

One simple last request, apply charge after  2.00 on match days get the dancers on early and make tickets available Sundays preceding a weekend game. 

There is no point telling a greeting kid to stop, it will sort it's self out someday, but maybe not this year.
Luck ones like me ordered tickets and picked them up on time, they just don't work but flashing them at turnstiles gets you in.
The idea that you apply a £2 surcharge had method, as it encouraged and rewarded people for coming early and avoiding bottlenecks at 3.00 (Saturdays anyway)
I have previously suggested how the club should take this forward while fully informing fans but looks like they are deaf or afraid to admit out of their depth in managing this project.
One simple last request, apply charge after  2.00 on match days get the dancers on early and make tickets available Sundays preceding a weekend game. 

The 1pm deadline does nothing to ease the 3pm bottlenecks. It's too early. Anyone likely to go down for that deadline are likely to go away again due to gates not being open for a considerable time after. They will reappear closer to 3, adding to any bottleneck.

The 2pm suggestion has merit but the Sunday suggestion still isn't great. Get the tickets for the next home game on sale at the preceding home game.

Sell to your customer base when they are actually in your premises.

Correct for consecutive Saturday matches on sale from 4.45 would be ideal.   

Doesn't even need to apply only to consecutive saturdays. Ok, some won't want to or be able to purchase 2 weeks in advance, but some would. Maximising options for people is needed when they are surcharging the most convenient option.

2 hours ago, Paisley Ton said:

Place yourself in the sea alongside your beloved ticketing system, you grovelling sycophant. 

2 hours ago, Paisley Ton said:

There is no point telling a greeting kid to stop

26 minutes ago, virginton said:

Place yourself in the sea alongside your beloved ticketing system, you grovelling sycophant. 

QED....... 

There's nothing in his post to suggest the guy is a "grovelling sycophant"; he at least is trying to be constructive.

Archived