How much is your hoose

locheedfcno1

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

You're more organised than I was at your age, fair play to you mate. I doubt state pensions will cease, they might get means tested or some other constraints but I think there will have to be something to hoover up those that have nothing. I'm intrigued by the 'basic income' approach, I'd like to think it could work here but I'm dubious, maybe sometime in the future. 

Cheers man I'm about to start a new job after 5 years in my old place so I'm optimistic about the future just now. I'm pretty positive about the chances of the basic income and I think the Scandinavian countries will lead the way again, as our working week will shrink the government will have to step in as robots will eventually replace many many people.

7 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

Cheers man I'm about to start a new job after 5 years in my old place so I'm optimistic about the future just now. I'm pretty positive about the chances of the basic income and I think the Scandinavian countries will lead the way again, as our working week will shrink the government will have to step in as robots will eventually replace many many people.

Aye, I think Finland has trialled it, not followed up on how well its panned out. The automation of things is going to have a massive effect on future generations, don't know if you're a 2000 AD reader but the whole Judge Dredd world is looking more and more likely, maybe not the killer cops on motorbikes but that only a tiny percentage will have to work, the rest will have to fill their days themselves.

Hope the new gig works out mate.

4 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Aye, I think Finland has trialled it, not followed up on how well its panned out. The automation of things is going to have a massive effect on future generations, don't know if you're a 2000 AD reader but the whole Judge Dredd world is looking more and more likely, maybe not the killer cops on motorbikes but that only a tiny percentage will have to work, the rest will have to fill their days themselves.

Hope the new gig works out mate.

not read that, but I've read some about Ray Bradbury and he wrote about it eventually becoming odd to go out walking the streets and automated police cars. I think in America it is odd to walk to the shops so maybe there is something in it but I'm almost certain the world which I leave will be entirely different to the one which I entered 

16 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

not read that, but I've read some about Ray Bradbury and he wrote about it eventually becoming odd to go out walking the streets and automated police cars. I think in America it is odd to walk to the shops so maybe there is something in it but I'm almost certain the world which I leave will be entirely different to the one which I entered 

Tru dat bro, tru dat. Unfortunately by the end of it, you're baffled by everything, at least if my mum is anything to go by. She's not doolaley, just old and has no interest in embracing the new stuff. Its how we're all going to go unfortunately, today's firebrand will be tomorrow's wicked old reactionary who's worried about their pension and struggling to work the TV remote. 

2 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Tru dat bro, tru dat. Unfortunately by the end of it, you're baffled by everything, at least if my mum is anything to go by. She's not doolaley, just old and has no interest in embracing the new stuff. Its how we're all going to go unfortunately, today's firebrand will be tomorrow's wicked old reactionary who's worried about their pension and struggling to work the TV remote. 

I'm hoping to make it till I'm 104 to see in 2100 so my pension will need to be tip top and hopefully, my own house will have a Stenna built in. Might all be up in smoke if Kim and Trump start a fight.  

10 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

I'm hoping to make it till I'm 104 to see in 2100 so my pension will need to be tip top and hopefully, my own house will have a Stenna built in. Might all be up in smoke if Kim and Trump start a fight.  

They're cheaper than you think, my folks got one last year and wouldn't let me do the negotiating, they still got it cheaper than it was advertised. The whole 'ripping of the oldies' is a great scam if you're looking for a career change.

Not looking for sympathy - just as well - but my experience suggests that the state pension is going to face ongoing attacks.

My retirement date put back to 67...

I was entitled to full pension post 2016 - thereafter not so. I have to make a further 8 years voluntary contributions to top this up.

To rub salt in the wound, the additional 8 years would have been at class 2 - around £3 a week. Class 2 abolished so I'll now have to pay class 3 - £15 a week. Living abroad, I'll not be able to claim any of the benefits class 3 would give me.

Not at all pissed off!

3 hours ago, hk blues said:

Not looking for sympathy - just as well - but my experience suggests that the state pension is going to face ongoing attacks.

I was entitled to full pension post 2016 - thereafter not so. I have to make a further 8 years voluntary contributions to top this up.

To rub salt in the wound, the additional 8 years would have been at class 2 - around £3 a week. Class 2 abolished so I'll now have to pay class 3 - £15 a week. Living abroad, I'll not be able to claim any of the benefits class 3 would give me.

Not at all pissed off!

I didn't think class 3 gave you any benefits other than pension preservation. Very few people ever paid it, other than those in you're circumstances.

Not at all pissed off!

I need to make a further 9 years contributions, I need to look into this. I've done some back of a fag packet arithmetic and I should be OK financially without topping it up but it will depend how much my contributions would be. Its a good job I'm pretty and Mrs Root keeps me around as eye candy. 8)

Not at all pissed off!

Like you my state pension age had been increased, in my case to 66.  I don't see a problem with that, it's a logical response to folk living longer.

The way it has been done for women is far worse.  Yes the retirement age should be the same for everyone but it should have been introduced more gradually to give people a chance to plan ahead and take necessary action.

Guest Moomintroll

Like those perennial Tories, baby boomers do get portrayed as the root of all evil but they are just lucky to be born in that timeframe where they got massively advantageous pensions and huge equity appreciation. What is often forgotten is the crippling interest rates that were around when they were paying off these mortgages so if they are enjoying the fruits of that now, then to be honest, they have paid their dues in the past. It is a case of timing and circumstances that people of that generation are able to enjoy such a comfortable lifestyle now ( but as has already been pointed out many of them are not, which will be the case, now, before and for many generations to come). There is no point criticising people or blaming them for what is an accident of birth that they had no control over, but we do need to seriously consider what the future holds. There will be a degree of property inheritance, care home bills permitting, but the biggest concern I have is who will be footing the bill when this generation of people who rent because they cannot afford to buy hit retirement age and can no longer afford the private rental fees they have been paying.

27 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Like those perennial Tories, baby boomers do get portrayed as the root of all evil but they are just lucky to be born in that timeframe where they got massively advantageous pensions and huge equity appreciation. What is often forgotten is the crippling interest rates that were around when they were paying off these mortgages so if they are enjoying the fruits of that now, then to be honest, they have paid their dues in the past. It is a case of timing and circumstances that people of that generation are able to enjoy such a comfortable lifestyle now ( but as has already been pointed out many of them are not, which will be the case, now, before and for many generations to come). There is no point criticising people or blaming them for what is an accident of birth that they had no control over, but we do need to seriously consider what the future holds. There will be a degree of property inheritance, care home bills permitting, but the biggest concern I have is who will be footing the bill when this generation of people who rent because they cannot afford to buy hit retirement age and can no longer afford the private rental fees they have been paying.

I think the issue of home ownership is a bit overstated.  Yes it has fallen from a peak but these things are trends and it will rise again; particularly is future governments actually start taking more concerted action.

However I think pensioner poverty will increase in years to come, largely as a result of folk living longer.  Even private pension schemes and the new workplace pension will offer little help.

With regards to the workplace pension, I did a quick calculation for someone earning £400 per week paying the full 7% (employee 4% employer 3%) contribution with growth of 2.5% above inflation.  It would result in a pension pot of about £140k after 50 years of continual contributions.  That will not get you a big income in retirement.

14 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I think the issue of home ownership is a bit overstated.  Yes it has fallen from a peak but these things are trends and it will rise again; particularly is future governments actually start taking more concerted action.

However I think pensioner poverty will increase in years to come, largely as a result of folk living longer.  Even private pension schemes and the new workplace pension will offer little help.

With regards to the workplace pension, I did a quick calculation for someone earning £400 per week paying the full 7% (employee 4% employer 3%) contribution with growth of 2.5% above inflation.  It would result in a pension pot of about £140k after 50 years of continual contributions.  That will not get you a big income in retirement.

While I accept this is a bit 'woolly', votes will push governments into doing something about pensioner poverty. Its a consideration for parties now anyway.

Guest Moomintroll

Agree with most of what you have said there, I am looking at the biggest drains on income after retirement and for those who do not own their own property rental costs will take up a huge proportion of this. Overall this will have an increasing affect on disposable income as long as the percentage of retirees grows as they will focus on keeping a roof over their heads vs keeping the money in circulation. When you look at that scenario and ally it to the issue where the younger generation are stuck in the trap where the only way to afford a property is to be very lucky with regards to your familial circumstances or to impose personal austerity for several years to save the deposit required it might come to a point where there is not enough disposable income amongst the majority to keep the wheels turning. The irony is that any significant downturn in house prices will be seized upon by landlords who have large portfolios(not you @chomp my root) and this will accelerate the cycle again. Unless any one who actually understands how this all works can convince me otherwise then it appears to me that we are locked in a cycle that as a society we cannot get out of.

25 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I don't think too many people are unhappy at what babyboomers got, it's that they're now voting (in disporportionately high number) for political parties and policies which f**k the younger generation

Yup, for example the baby boomers don't want to pay for tax credits for any working class children after the second. It's as if they want to exacerbate the ageing population and don't want to create loads of workers who spend most of their income on highly taxed goods. Consequently I'll be working until I'm 80 and I'm not even going to live that long. 

They also don't want Eastern Europeans to come over and in the main work and spend while they're young and healthy and go home before they become a drain on the NHS. 

Guest Moomintroll
I don't think too many people are unhappy at what babyboomers got, it's that they're now voting (in disporportionately high number) for political parties and policies which f**k the younger generation

And that in itself is part of the generational issue that I was alluding to, until we move on a few decades and we start to really feel the impact of what I was trying to describe then that will remain the case. It will only be when, the 18-30 generation of today start to hit that 40-50 age bracket, that the 40-50 bracket now (of which I am part of) will realise just how bolloxed up it has all become and will start voting accordingly. Until then sorry folks and good luck.

58 minutes ago, The OP said:

Yup, for example the baby boomers don't want to pay for tax credits for any working class children after the second. It's as if they want to exacerbate the ageing population and don't want to create loads of workers who spend most of their income on highly taxed goods. Consequently I'll be working until I'm 80 and I'm not even going to live that long. 

They also don't want Eastern Europeans to come over and in the main work and spend while they're young and healthy and go home before they become a drain on the NHS. 

I assume you mean "many of" ; in the scottish context I don't think you can get away with even "most of".  I am not downplaying the apparent selfishness of many of the baby boomer generation but it pisses me off when we are all tarred with same brush.

Archived