Livingston v Queens

7 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

Tbf we were absolutely honking today and you couldn't beat us. Only a late scramble got you a point. 

Two absolute cracking goals in a game where we showed absolutely zero quality apart. 

This is getting a bit like deja vu. 

We draw with Dunfermline and apparently they were well below form

We beat Morton twice and they were well below form

We beat St Mirren in the cup and they were apparently well below form

We beat Falkirk in the cup and they were well below form

All I can say is this must be one hell of a league when everyone's on form.

Oh and just to even it up we draw against Brechin and we were well below form.

As for the game I actually ended up enjoying it; plenty of blood and guts and two teams not prepared to give up and space; plenty of opportunity at both ends. Obviously I'd have preferred to take all the points but for entertainment value alone it was worth the money.

And I'm stating to have a feeling of dread every time I see Derek "sun-lamp" Lyle.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another game we should've won and two goals we shouldn't have ever given away, need to start cutting out stupid mistakes and shut the men down.

Thought Lithgow was brilliant today as was Halkett. Toddy put a shift in as well. We just need a little bit of class on the park, De Vita brought that when he came on in the same way McFadden did for Queens

3 minutes ago, Durnford said:

This is getting a bit like deja vu. 

We draw with Dunfermline and apparently they were well below form

We beat Morton twice and they were well below form

We beat St Mirren in the cup and they were apparently well below form

We beat Falkirk in the cup and they were well below form

All I can say is this must be one hell of a league when everyone's on form.

Oh and just to even it up we draw against Brechin and we were well below form.

As for the game I actually ended up enjoying it; plenty of blood and guts and two teams not prepared to give up and space; plenty of opportunity at both ends. Obviously I'd have preferred to take all the points but for entertainment value alone it was worth the money.

And I'm stating to have a feeling of dread every time I see Derek "sun-lamp" Lyle.

I take it you didn't make the game today ?. I don't think anyone could possibly say that we weren't absolutely dreadful and played way below where we can. Midfield was absolutely shocking and couldn't pass wind. 

And although he scored I'm not sure substituting Todorov for Mackin was the right move - it totally seemed to disrupt a settled team and Mackin never seemed to threaten or cause as many problems for the Queen's defence.

Keaghan Jacobs wasn't at his best but Pittman certainly made up for it; trouble is taking him off meant that Pittman had to fall back and we started to lose control of the midfield for a while. 

Can't believe how lucky we are to play against everyone on an off day, it's almost as if it's got something to do with how we play. 

Would have taken a point at the start so not too disappointed but could have won that. Brilliant goal from Stirling for Queens' equaliser, one of those that you know is going in as soon as it leaves his boot. Had the fear for our defence against Lyle, Dobbie and McFadden but we were handling it well until Gallagher switched off against Lyle, lovely lob though. Mackin genuinely looked offended when the announcer gave his goal to Carrick. 

14 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Naysmith must take the credit for getting a point almost 3 from this fixture after a horrible first half his triple substitutan made a big difference

14 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Or receive criticism for starting with the wrong 11

Call it what you like but when will he realise that we are a far greater threat when Lyle - class and quality - is on the pitch and that he should be a definite starter. Kane is not in the same League !

1 minute ago, Broony88 said:

I take it you didn't make the game today ?. I don't think anyone could possibly say that we weren't absolutely dreadful and played way below where we can. Midfield was absolutely shocking and couldn't pass wind. 

We bossed the midfield for about twenty minutes in the second half but as far as you team being dreadful; I'm not so sure.

Your number six always seemed to be there or thereabouts; Kyle Jacobs put in some critical challenges. Some of your players allowed themselves to be robbed far to easily which was great to watch from my perspective but probably not so from yours.

There can be no doubt the substitutions changed the game; for the better in your respect but that's football.

I've been watching football for fifty years now; some weeks you cant always perform at your best; you might argue that as professionals they should always perform at their best but the game just isn't like that (as frustrating as it may seem).

Several of our player played better than they have over the past few weeks whereas other not so.

5 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Call it what you like but when will he realise that we are a far greater threat when Lyle - class and quality - is on the pitch and that he should be a definite starter. Kane is not in the same League !

How old is Lyle now? I'm just looking forward to the day he retires and hangs up his boots. 

Really frustrating that he always seems to score when he plays against us.

We put 4 past Falkirk with Lyle nowhere to be seen tbf. I'm not having a pop at Lyle or indeed disagreeing with you but to say we are a far greater threat with Lyle on the pitch is at the very least debateable.

8 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Can't believe how lucky we are to play against everyone on an off day, it's almost as if it's got something to do with how we play. 

Would have taken a point at the start so not too disappointed but could have won that. Brilliant goal from Stirling for Queens' equaliser, one of those that you know is going in as soon as it leaves his boot. Had the fear for our defence against Lyle, Dobbie and McFadden but we were handling it well until Gallagher switched off against Lyle, lovely lob though. Mackin genuinely looked offended when the announcer gave his goal to Carrick. 

Gallagher was blinded by the sun for the QoS second goal; however I thought he was completely out position for the first and he (and others) stood off too long.

That being said he won virtually everything in the air and did some pretty good runs up the wing.

44 minutes ago, Durnford said:

And although he scored I'm not sure substituting Todorov for Mackin was the right move - it totally seemed to disrupt a settled team and Mackin never seemed to threaten or cause as many problems for the Queen's defence.

Keaghan Jacobs wasn't at his best but Pittman certainly made up for it; trouble is taking him off meant that Pittman had to fall back and we started to lose control of the midfield for a while. 

Pittman had an absolutely rotten game, as did Sean. Thought Keaghan was the only one fighting

54 minutes ago, Durnford said:

How old is Lyle now? I'm just looking forward to the day he retires and hangs up his boots. 

Really frustrating that he always seems to score when he plays against us.

That's Derek Lyle level with Andy Thomson now, 114 goals for Queens, third equal in the all-time Queens goalscorers. Only another 7 this season and he will reach second place in the all-time goalscoring chart, passing Bobby Black!

Somehow despite both teams best efforts that turned into a cracking game.

I can see why we kept the same team as Falkirk but perhaps the reality of that game was Falkirk being an absolute gang rather than tactically outclassing them. The central midfield 3 were suffocated by Livingston's and with Fordyce at RB then you don't really have an outball especially as Dobbie could hardly make much of an impact and neither Dykes and Kane could hold the ball up. 

Livingston had a fairly straight forward game plan and got the ball forward as quickly as possible. As a team they looked like they knew their roles well whilst Tapping and Rankin didn't look comfortable at all in comparison. They also seem like an annoying team to play against with how cynical and physically they play and with Mullen up top they have a skilful player that goes down very easily (stonewaller for the pen though). The first half they bullied us off the park and a fairly silly lunge by Rankin probably gave us what we deserved. Livi looked like a hungry team that worked for each other but lacked a bit of guile that will probably hold them back this season.

The start of the second half we were fairly comprehensively outplayed but the triple sub sprung the game to life. McFadden and Stirling brought width, quality and unpredictability. The strike by Stirling was top drawer and was the first bit of quality  with direct running and then Lyle took advantage of a slip up by Gallagher but the finish was sublime.

McFadden coming on for 15 minute cameos is something I can look forward to. Filthy nutmegs, lovely first touch actual composure on the ball. Can't track back to save himself but the sheer chaos factor he brings makes it worth it.

Leighfield will probably want to have that second goal back. He was fairly assertive for most of the game but he seemed to get twitchy after a bad kick and didn't come for the ball. He saved most of what came his way but his kicking was fairly erratic. All in all a standard young goalkeeper performance. 

Fordyce I thought had a rough day,  he looked positionally lost and by the end looked like he could hardly move. Rooney would have been a better option today.

Dykes has zero belief in his own ability to score, he looks to pass at every opportunity which worked 2 weeks ago but he should have smashed an early chance at goal instead of trying to square to Tapping. 

Despite the result and performance  encouraging that we are able to come back from a goal down, Last year we would have huffed and puffed to no avail but the quality off the bench is night and day compared to last year. I think we can try keep things a lot more simple would be beneficial going forward.

Two good goals apart (Stirling's was a beaut), I thought Queens were absolutely dreadful today. A very poor game with the ball launched aimlessly forward by both teams at regular intervals, but Livi were just about the better of two poor sides. Not sure how Dykes manages it - for such an imposing looking guy he has hardly any presence in the air. The subs changed the game for Queens (not that we threatened to play particularly well at any point), but before that it was hard to give anyone pass marks, other than maybe Tapping as he was energetic and committed at least. 

I thought it would be a tough game today and it was. After some early promise, we lost the midfield and frankly struggled until the triple sub. Although apart from the penalty Livi didn't make that many clear cut chances.

Must admit there weren't many Queens fans enthused by the sight of Stirling coming on, but that was a cracking goal, maybe he just needs a bit of confidence.

Having unexpectedly went ahead, we expectedly conceded a late goal. Leighfield looked culpable but maybe some defenders could have done better - too far away to see what happened.

The last few minutes were quite exciting, as frankly anything could have happened at either end.

Draw about right, bit of a reality check for us, we are no better or worse than the likes of Livi and every point will have to be battled for.

Morton next week, trying not to think of last year's 0-5 after which the wheels came well and truly off....

Just in and pretty much heading straight out so will be brief.

We were poor today but you have to give Livi credit for that, I thought they played well..

2 cracking finishes for our goals. Thought Dobbie was poor today, hardly anything he tried came off.

Final point, had to laugh at some of our support chanting cheat at the player brought down for the Livi pen. :lol:. It looked an absolute stonewaller.

Sadly that performance was very reminiscent of last season - our passing was horrendous and we could barely string two passes together.

Our midfield was miles off the pace - sorry to say just a lack of quality in there. We desperately need a playmaker or a player who can structure our play and initiate some proper ball retention.

Two cracking goals -despite being second best if we could have passed the ball and retained sensible possession we could have stolen all 3 points but it would have been undeserved.

Thought young Leighfield did well today - very disappointed with Kane. If he is to justify starting ahead of Lyle he is going to have to be much more of a threat than he was today.

An away draw is seldom a bad result in this league but GN has to sort out that midfield and get us passing the ball properly. We avoided defeat but an urgent re-think required in terms of ball retention.

Archived