Why do you follow the team you follow

The Stig

Was a fan as soon as I saw thon snorting Channel 4 logo back in the mid 80's.
Didn't really have a team until I lived in the East Bay on a J-1 visa from '98 to 2000, so had the chance to go to many games.
Big Raiders (and A's) fan as a result.  Now live in Colts country, but haven't switched allegiance.    Good excuse to go to their away games when I can (Indy/Cincinnati/Detroit so far).

Edited by Hipster Dufus

My old man's favourite city who happened to be the best team going when it was on C4. I got into it as a kid during the 49ers Cowboys mega NFC rivalry at the start of the 90s so went along with his team.

It then seemed to vanish off the face of the earth until sometime in the 00s when we got Sky and the 9ers were shite. Turns out SF was my favourite city in the US too when I travelled around and I've seen them twice, getting beat of the Cards at the Stick and beating the Broncos at Wembley.

Monday we had the neighbours round for a BBQ. I was still wearing my Seahawks shirt after the game and their 9yo son recognises it. Knew he was keen on soccer and rugby but didn't realise he knew anything about gridiron.

"I support the Oakland Raiders because the rugby team I play for are called the Raiders"

He then further impresses me with his knowledge of the current roster. Especially that Lynch used to be a Seahawk.

"Are they any good?" he asks

"No, they're pis eh rubbish" I reply

He could see I was joking though. The downside to this is that he'll now want to play Madden with me. I'm pish as it is but watching as a virtual Beast Mode rampages all over virtual Wagner, Chancellor and Bennett would be the last straw.

1 hour ago, Swarley said:

Monday we had the neighbours round for a BBQ. I was still wearing my Seahawks shirt after the game and their 9yo son recognises it. Knew he was keen on soccer and rugby but didn't realise he knew anything about gridiron.

"I support the Oakland Raiders because the rugby team I play for are called the Raiders"

He then further impresses me with his knowledge of the current roster. Especially that Lynch used to be a Seahawk.

"Are they any good?" he asks

"No, they're pis eh rubbish" I reply

He could see I was joking though. The downside to this is that he'll now want to play Madden with me. I'm pish as it is but watching as a virtual Beast Mode rampages all over virtual Wagner, Chancellor and Bennett would be the last straw.

"...and that's why he was in my room your honour".

Philadelphia Eagles for me. When I first started watching NFL, Randall Cunningham was the Eagles QB and his scrambling ability always amazed me. Great athlete, not so good at throwing the ball though which I suppose is quite important as a QB! Reggie White was in the team at the same time, which made it interesting to watch whether the offense or defence was on the field.

I'd wanted to really get in to watching NFL for a few years, but never really stuck at it. Then last year, I discovered Amazon's All Or Nothing, and really felt a connection with the Cardinals having watched that, as it was the only team I really knew something about. So Cardinals it is, and I'm going to see them against the Rams in London in 2 weeks.

I'd wanted to really get in to watching NFL for a few years, but never really stuck at it. Then last year, I discovered Amazon's All Or Nothing, and really felt a connection with the Cardinals having watched that, as it was the only team I really knew something about. So Cardinals it is, and I'm going to see them against the Rams in London in 2 weeks.

You are dead to me [emoji6]

• 3 months later...

I started watching C4 broadcasts in 80s and after a couple of weeks decided to pick a team that played in red and white like Dons so picked 9ers. Watching players like Montana, Young, Rice, Craig, Rathman and Lott got me hooked. Been over to see 9ers live against Rams 4 times,  Bears, Bucaneers and Cardinals once each plus Broncos and Jags in London. Will be over in November again this year. 

• 4 weeks later...

First time on this topic. I recently got into the NFL and been watching for last two seasons intermittently. I cant seem to get behind a team though. I have been to Charleston and Washington (not the stadiums). Three of my mates support 3 different teams Lions , Ravens and Giants for different reasons. I think I have watched every team at least once in last two seasons. I really enjoy the sport but like I say not quite there with backing a team. There a few teams I don't mind Broncos, Falcons, Lions and there are a few teams I don't like which is jets, steelers, bengals. (don't know why just don't like them)

Any help?

First time on this topic. I recently got into the NFL and been watching for last two seasons intermittently. I cant seem to get behind a team though. I have been to Charleston and Washington (not the stadiums). Three of my mates support 3 different teams Lions , Ravens and Giants for different reasons. I think I have watched every team at least once in last two seasons. I really enjoy the sport but like I say not quite there with backing a team. There a few teams I don't mind Broncos, Falcons, Lions and there are a few teams I don't like which is jets, steelers, bengals. (don't know why just don't like them)

Any help?

Anyone but the Patriots

Any help?

Browns

The only way is up

I’d do what the above poster done, get stuck into a few documentaries and see what team does it for you. There are plenty of America’s games/A football life’s on YouTube and sky is full of them too plus your hard knocks etc.

There are actually quite a lot of teams I don’t like for some reason too haha, think it’s maybe their uniforms, stadiums etc, not sure.

27 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Browns

The only way is up

I’d do what the above poster done, get stuck into a few documentaries and see what team does it for you. There are plenty of America’s games/A football life’s on YouTube and sky is full of them too plus your hard knocks etc.

There are actually quite a lot of teams I don’t like for some reason too haha, think it’s maybe their uniforms, stadiums etc, not sure.

I haven't watched any of them but I think that, as you say, is the way forward. I'm old enough to remember the claymores but I never actually saw them. Will there be a UK team added to the NFL in the future as maybe that's where my backing would be?