Iphone Memory

I've a mate at work who has an Iphone and is away on holiday next week.  I'm the young guy in the office so he's come to me with a problem that I've no clue how to resolve.

Basically he had no storage on his phone so wanted to clear space.  Out of 12GB on the phone over half of it was on photos.  That was yesterday and now he's deleted all but 300 photos (emptying the recently deleted as well) and it still shows as using over 2gb of memory.  5000 odd photos used 6GB but 300 odd uses 2gb?

I've googled it and it suggest changing the date back to see if any photos appear in the recently deleted (none do) and the phone is up to date and has been restarted. 

Any ideas on how to free up the photo space?

20 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

I've a mate at work who has an Iphone and is away on holiday next week.  I'm the young guy in the office so he's come to me with a problem that I've no clue how to resolve.

Basically he had no storage on his phone so wanted to clear space.  Out of 12GB on the phone over half of it was on photos.  That was yesterday and now he's deleted all but 300 photos (emptying the recently deleted as well) and it still shows as using over 2gb of memory.  5000 odd photos used 6GB but 300 odd uses 2gb?

I've googled it and it suggest changing the date back to see if any photos appear in the recently deleted (none do) and the phone is up to date and has been restarted. 

Any ideas on how to free up the photo space?

Checked for videos? Might show under photos. Or tell him to get some cloud storage. 

12 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Checked for videos? Might show under photos. Or tell him to get some cloud storage. 

Only about a dozen short videos!  He does use the cloud but doesn't really understand it (neither do I to be honest - never used one!)

20 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Connecting to a PC to backup sounds like a plan. Pretty sure you can see more closely what the storage use is and cherry pick the stuff you do/don't want to keep. 

Yup, thats pretty much what I did. IIRC the issue I had was that the pictures were in the deleted folder but couldnt be deleted from that on the phone. I think they were removed from the folder but not actually deleted from the storage :rolleyes:

Just now, Melanius Mullarkey said:

The only problem i had was that I gave the bairn my old iPad, wiped it but it was still set up for iCloud.  She kept asking me who Liz McColgan and Tommy Wright were as the pictures appeared in her photos folder.  Ive since disabled the link to iCloud in case anything more savoury makes its way across. 

I linked my kid's iphone to my account and it was murder. They make it impossible to detach the two devices once you add in family members. For a while I was getting all my wife's insane internet searches and inane texts from her friends. Knowing her Tommy Wrights from her Liz McColgans should give her a good grounding in life. 

3 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

The only problem i had was that I gave the bairn my old iPad, wiped it but it was still set up for iCloud.  She kept asking me who Liz McColgan and Tommy Wright were as the pictures appeared in her photos folder.  Ive since disabled the link to iCloud in case anything more savoury makes its way across. 

I have the opposite problem. I opened an iTunes account purely to listen to podcasts, and somehow made a sub-account later for the wean when he got an iPad. I got an iPhone last month and used my iTunes account with it, and my storage space has already been eaten up by pictures and videos that the wean uploaded to the cloud. Think I'm safe enough with the things I've saved, as I don't have time at work to masturbate to pictures of Scottish sporting figures.

Did I mention that I have an iPhone now? Pretty sweet.

As soon as you delete a picture it goes straight to a "deleted" folder. You then have to go in there to finally delete it. 

Yes, but they get automatically removed from that folder after a while and if you didn't delete them you can't access then anymore but they still take up storage space on the phone.

Archived