Best & worst prizes in competitions

sjc

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, NorthernJambo said:

I won a match worn signed Dunfermline top, must be about 20 year ago now, some c**t McGroarty's top and I've no idea who all signed it. If anyone kens the lad McGroarty and he wants it back I'm open to offers.

Friend of a friend. He manages Kilsyth Rangers now. 

5 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I actually won a copy of the Amiga game "Pushover" from a computer magazine...it had some sort of crossover with an Quavers. Thought I was the luckiest b*****d alive until I found out they were giving away something like 10,000 copies. 

Pushover was a decent game, at least.

I won a free game from 'The One for ST Games' (what a name) right before the magazine folded. Nothing arrived, so I called the offices for 'The One for Amiga Games' (who were still open), and they offered to send me a load of old Atari shite they'd inherited from the other office. That never arrived either. I'm starting to give up hope that I'll ever get anything from those b*****ds TBH.

Friend of a friend. He manages Kilsyth Rangers now. 

I knew p&b could deliver! Let's reunite him with his top! (It's at my maws house and they're planning on moving soon). Div could sell this shit! I'm happy to sell him rights to the story and play myself in the film. Cameo for Sarj granted.

12 hours ago, microdave said:

I was putting a coupon on one Saturday and was asked to enter a competition to win Scottish cup tickets which I duly did. A few weeks later having forgotten about it, I received a letter informing me of my win and to go to the ticket office at Glebe park to collect. The only problem was that the game had been played two days previously!

On a similar note I won hospitality to motor racing at Knockhill last year. The tickets didn't arrive until the day after the race. Fortunately I'd managed to get in touch with someone connected to the competition and they put tickets on the gate for me.

Best and worst prize was arguably the same thing. Years ago I won a trip to see round the HQ of an F1 team, which as a huge motorsport fan was fantastic. Sorted it out, my dad agreed to drive me down, great. Then the team went into administration, the trip was postponed and the team soon went out of business.

i won a bottle of 'fine single-malt whisky' on Real Radio in 2002 for answering a riddle.

They said they'd send it out to me and took my address.

A few weeks later they phoned me to ask why I hadn't picked it up! I ended up driving through for it. They told me they'd given away the single-malt whisky by accident and gave me a bottle of White and McKay blend that probably cost about £9.

Guest Moomintroll

Won a competition to watch Sergeant sound check at a venue in Cardiff, missed out as they e mailed to say I had won a couple of hours after I had went to the pub.

I won an autographed ball when I was about ten in our boys club raffle...

....signed by the Rangers side of Souness's first season :lol:

Fair to say it got leathered as hard as possible at the park the following day, it was a Mitre Delta though, the daddy of footballs back then.

All downhill (everything is downhill when leaving the mighty Pars I hear you say) for him after that, playing for teams like Glenrothes, Forth Wanderers and St Mirren.  s-l1000.jpg

I look like this guy.

i won a bottle of 'fine single-malt whisky' on Real Radio in 2002 for answering a riddle.
They said they'd send it out to me and took my address.
A few weeks later they phoned me to ask why I hadn't picked it up! I ended up driving through for it. They told me they'd given away the single-malt whisky by accident and gave me a bottle of White and McKay blend that probably cost about £9.

I won something like £25 in The Sun for a star letter. Never received payment. It was just some sentimental pish about Craig Brown which I figured would appeal as he had just left the Scotland gig. I was staying in a flat in Aberdeen at the time so I'm not sure of it was The Sun or the postie who failed to get me my money.

I won a bottle of Highland Park and a Highland Park mountaineering kit (hip flask, Swiss Army knife, compass and torch, for answering a The question: which is the highest mountain in the U.K.? I was live on that Talk107 or whatever the talk radio show from Edinburgh was called. Went to the station to collect it. Was standing in TK Max in Kirkcaldy when I won it. A veritable JFK moment.

Guest Moomintroll

I won a competition to watch Sergeant do their sound check at a gig in Cardiff. I am fairly confident that I was the only person that entered said competition.

18 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

All downhill (everything is downhill when leaving the mighty Pars I hear you say) for him after that, playing for teams like Glenrothes, Forth Wanderers and St Mirren.  s-l1000.jpg

5 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

I look like this guy.

I personally thought you were quite good in Sweet Sixteen and The Angels Share.

The-Angels-Share-13.jpg

Archived