Kezia Dugdale

Donathan

21 minutes ago, MeadowArab said:

I'm with you on this. Apparently Richard Leonard has a rising reputation but I know nothing about him.

Shite, missed the boat on him, in from 10/1 to 2/1, joint favourite with Sarwar.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Richard Leonard? I know him. Did some research work with him about ten years ago. Nice guy.

(Worst p&b name drop ever)

I'm with you on this. Apparently Richard Leonard has a rising reputation but I know nothing about him.

[emoji14]

1 minute ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd String said:

Brand new blood with no baggage certainly appeals.

Quite the talent pool to pick from when the main selling point of one of the front runners is 'nobody knows anything about him' :lol:

2 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Sarwar didnt through that 500 quid a head dinner for nothing

£50 a head if he hadn't invited Jackie Baillie.

Monica Lennon comes across reasonably well on TV and Twitter. Her work on tackling period poverty has made her stand out a bit in her opening year in parliament. I'm not sure where she stands on Corbyn, however, and a daft stunt she and activisits took parrk in with Tunnock's tea cakes made me not so keen on her at first.

She won't go in for this round, but perhaps the future. Future candidates could be fae Westminster - Ged Killen (a close associate of Monica), Paul Sweeney and Martin Whitfield are all talented, though the latter two definitely are centrists (while Whitfield supports Israel...)

You do wonder if Findlay ruling himself out increases Sarwar's chances as he's now the only candidate with any kind of public profile - assuming Baillie has no intention of standing - but I suppose Findlay could publicly back Leonard as the sole left-wing candidate to avoid splitting the pro-Corbyn vote.

Is the voting system for Scottish leader the same as the UK leader, with people able to vote by paying £3 etc? If so it's clearly going to be Leonard, if not and it's still weighted in favour of MPs/MSPs Sarwar has a chance.

10 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Is the voting system for Scottish leader the same as the UK leader, with people able to vote by paying £3 etc? If so it's clearly going to be Leonard, if not and it's still weighted in favour of MPs/MSPs Sarwar has a chance.

Murphy abolished the electoral college in favour of OMOV, which you would imagine would benefit a left-wing candidate because it reduces the influence of the parliamentarians. The £3 registered supporters thing was used for Dugdale v Macintosh in 2015, so I imagine it will be the same this time. 

BerwickMad batting for Jess Phillips who has literally spent this week attacking the British Pakistani community with the same sort of dog whistle racism that you normally expect from Tommy Robinson. What was she famous for before that: boasting about telling the most prominent black woman MP to f**k off? Aye alright.

Why do so many of you want the biggest mug possible leading the Labour Party? Surely if you all have as strong social consciences, as you claim on here, then you'd want the strongest possible candidate to have an effective and competent opposition to hold the Scottish government to account?

Politics isn't like wanting your football team to win at all costs- it should be about delivering the best outcomes for the country and the people you care about.

Having weak opposition can only harm the country.

3 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Why do so many of you want the biggest mug possible leading the Labour Party? Surely if you all have as strong social consciences, as you claim on here, then you'd want the strongest possible candidate to have an effective and competent opposition to hold the Scottish government to account?

Politics isn't like wanting your football team to win at all costs- it should be about delivering the best outcomes for the country and the people you care about.

Having weak opposition can only harm the country.

Profound, very deep.  I'm welling up here.

He's right tbh. I want to see something other than the shite on offer. I don't see how that can be anything other than good for us.

The leader won't change that the party is pish though. So that side of it makes a good leader pretty pointless. So I'd be happy enough to see the comedy continue.

Archived