St Mirren v ICT

42 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Can you mind Fergie's replacement at St Mirren?

Sadly, they just don't make guys like this legend any more :

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/mcmenemy-s-tribute-to-saints-coach-clunie-1-648295

Clunie was a fantastic appointment built on what Fergie had built.  Think Sandy is getting the years mixed up there was a period when ibrox was being rebuilt they had poor crowds. 

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, GAD said:

Has he been any good? I thought he was ok for us, but it seemed Murray fucked him around a wee bit.

Don't know how this game will go. We have looked good at times this season, but we also have the Morton and Partick Thistle debacles hanging over us. We are good at home just now though, and the team is starting to settle and gel well, though I'd like to see us convert more of our chances. If I remember correctly, last time ICT were in this league they started badly, then really picked up when they got more used to the demands and competitiveness of the league and ended up winning it well. 

Ridgers has been very shaky.  We haven't had a reliable goalkeeper since Dean Brill got injured in early 2015.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

I miss the days when Captain Sensible would start these threads and lob in a reference to the Duke of Cumberland doing his job properly and getting rid of those Highland savages. Halcyon days.

He is still floating around sadly has lost his touch he posts on BAWA under many different names but none as Captain Sensible. Think his passion is now watching his son play football understandably. 

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

No. We've now put three past Falkirk, Dundee United and a very difficult-to-beat Livingston, playing large parts of that latter game with 10 men.

The Morton game is a massive blot on our copybook, but we handed them two penalties and had a man sent off. I'd suggest that was the freak result of our league campaign so far.

We've suddenly become pretty good at home, too (decent home form stretching back to January now), so I think we'll be a tough prospect for any team on our own patch.

Last 9 home games producing 29 goals at long last the new stadium is starting to feel like home. 

19 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Sandy was probably getting mixed up with Jimmy Durante.

I'm probably getting mixed up with the Mirren managers, but definitely the Mirren turned up for the game without a manager. Memory is shite these days

29 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Clunie was a fantastic appointment built on what Fergie had built.  Think Sandy is getting the years mixed up there was a period when ibrox was being rebuilt they had poor crowds. 

Can't remember seeing Jim Clunie , my earliest recollection of players at Aberdeen was Tubby Ogston so Clunie would have been in the team then, Ally Shewn was another standout.

I remember Tommy Bryceland at St Mirren was he playing in the sixties or have I got that wrong also. 

39 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Been a long time Sandy since I seen you on the forum. Sacking Fergie was shocking as that man put St Mirren back on the map. All to do with expenses rumour has it to players and himself. Short sighted board though a few had to stand down because of a fan backlash. 8,000 Was not bad back then Rangers played Patrick Thistle on a midweek league game where 3,500 turned up loyal army and all that. Are you coming down to Paisley ? 

Aye it's been a while and good to hear from you, I first joined in Jan 2005 and was busy on it for a few years and then there was a terrible post from a fan which I found absolutely disgusting and resigned, I did scan in from time to time over the years.

Not sure about Paisley I might make it,  happy memories of the town and staying at the Watermill Hotel overnight, I think that what it was called, anyway it was an old mill converted right on the river, still there?

I've a game in Fort William on the Friday, playing there is like playing off a bouncy feckin castle with the rain streaming down off Nevis so it's physically challenging, so I'll see what shape I'm in on sat morning.

Is it pay at the gate?

5 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Can't remember seeing Jim Clunie , my earliest recollection of players at Aberdeen was Tubby Ogston so Clunie would have been in the team then, Ally Shewn was another standout.

I remember Tommy Bryceland at St Mirren was he playing in the sixties or have I got that wrong also. 

I went to school in Paisley for a couple of years back in the 60's. I seem to recall a Saints keeper - I think his name was Dick oddly enough. Saints lost a game 5-0 and Dick was largely responsible for most, if not all of the goals. The last one - which made it 5-0 he punched into his own net. I can further recall him getting done for match rigging after scooping a fortune on a fixed odds coupon!

Hopefully any Saints old timers out there can provide some more info. 

43 minutes ago, GAD said:

Has he been any good? I thought he was ok for us, but it seemed Murray fucked him around a wee bit.

I think the game at the weekend against Brechin was the first time he played without making a mistake that (almost) led to a goal for the opposition. He's been really poor so far. The defence in front of him has also looked very suspect as well for most of the season so far. Suspect St Mirren will get at least one from a mistake at the back.

1 minute ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I went to school in Paisley for a couple of years back in the 60's. I seem to recall a Saints keeper - I think his name was Dick oddly enough. Saints lost a game 5-0 and Dick was largely responsible for most, if not all of the goals. The last one - which made it 5-0 he punched into his own net. I can further recall him getting done for match rigging after scooping a fortune on a fixed odds coupon!

Have you seen Scott Fox's howler on last Sunday's game?

2 minutes ago, RiG said:

I think the game at the weekend against Brechin was the first time he played without making a mistake that (almost) led to a goal for the opposition. He's been really poor so far. The defence in front of him has also looked very suspect as well for most of the season so far. Suspect St Mirren will get at least one from a mistake at the back.

Ridgers was allegedly one of the highest earners when we were relegated. Murray wanted rid of him for that IIRC. He was fairly decent for us.

19 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Aye it's been a while and good to hear from you, I first joined in Jan 2005 and was busy on it for a few years and then there was a terrible post from a fan which I found absolutely disgusting and resigned, I did scan in from time to time over the years.

Not sure about Paisley I might make it,  happy memories of the town and staying at the Watermill Hotel overnight, I think that what it was called, anyway it was an old mill converted right on the river, still there?

I've a game in Fort William on the Friday, playing there is like playing off a bouncy feckin castle with the rain streaming down off Nevis so it's physically challenging, so I'll see what shape I'm in on sat morning.

Is it pay at the gate?

Tickets Sandy easily bought at the stadium. Watermill is still there I take it you did not get a visit from the rumourd ghost , there is a video on YouTube by a team of Ghostbusters. Enjoy Friday at the Fort. 

51 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Dick Beattie , a top keeper with well over 100 games each for Celtic and Portsmouth . Only game I can find, with him conceding more than 3 at Love St, is this one http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1963&GameID=196308030

As you say , retired after a betting scandal and died in his early 50s !

14 minutes ago, billyg said:

Dick Beattie , a top keeper with well over 100 games each for Celtic and Portsmouth . Only game I can find, with him conceding more than 3 at Love St, is this one http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1963&GameID=196308030

As you say , retired after a betting scandal and died in his early 50s !

Correct, Billyg. I believe the betting scandal was from when he played in England. As an aside, my father knew Dick Beattie as they were both welders and Dick would have be playing part-time in those days, as most teams were in the 60`s.

If I remember correctly, he was a big, slightly portly fellow but a good goalie nevertheless. There were quite a few very famous players involved in the 60s betting scandal, mostly English I think and a few were suspended Sine Die .

4 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Not many of the original squad left but on Saturday it did look like the new players were starting to blend in.

Your mention of Alex Ferguson brought back a memory, it was a time when Rangers was in the doldrums and were due to play St Mirren on a Wednesday night, I was in Glasgow visiting at that time and though not a Mirren or Rangers fan I went along for the game, well St Mirren turned up minus Alex Ferguson as he had had a fall out that day with the board and he walked or was pushed I can't remember which and you know I can't even remember the score though it was a Rangers win, what I do recall is that the crowd was announced at just over 8,000, now I know that's hard to believe these days but that's a fact and when I tell gers fans they don't believe it.

Anyway I was in the rangers end and when rangers scored the first goal the crowd started singing, 'Bring on the Celtic', the guy next to me turned with a look of disbelief on his face and said "Celtic would feckin annihilate this lot".

Durant was playing that night but he didn't impress me with his arms and legs flailing all over the place in box play.

This is one of only 2 league games I can recall between Rangers and St. Mirren at Ibrox which was played midweek (although there were a few midweek League Cup ties between the sides at Ibrox, none of the crowds was as low as 8000)..

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1980&GameID=198104150

The crowd was 7985 but Ricky McFarlane was the Saints manager and 1981 was still a bit early for Durrant.

The other was this game from the following season, crowd 4765 :o

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1981&GameID=198205050

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

This is one of only 2 league games I can recall between Rangers and St. Mirren at Ibrox which was played midweek (although there were a few midweek League Cup ties between the sides at Ibrox, none of the crowds was as low as 8000)..

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1980&GameID=198104150

The crowd was 7985 but Ricky McFarlane was the Saints manager and 1981 was still a bit early for Durrant.

The other was this game from the following season, crowd 4765 :o

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1981&GameID=198205050

Some great players in the second game there for us bad score though. 

Last time we met St Mirren in the second tier I think we won about ten of these games in a row, including numbers three or four goal maulings and produced defeats that saw two St Mirren managers sacked.

Doubt we'll be seeing a repeat in a couple of weeks time!

10 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Last time we met St Mirren in the second tier I think we won about ten of these games in a row, including numbers three or four goal maulings and produced defeats that saw two St Mirren managers sacked.

Doubt we'll be seeing a repeat in a couple of weeks time!

Yeah, 8 wins in a row between March 2002 and November 2003 with ICT scoring 4 goals in 5 of those games.

20 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Yeah, 8 wins in a row between March 2002 and November 2003 with ICT scoring 4 goals in 5 of those games.

Yeah, some fairly rotten St Mirren teams during that period.  I was at the game that saw John Coughlin sacked and the difference between that game and the draw a few months later when McPherson had taken over was night and day.  From that point most of the games have been very close.

Archived