Mae Young Classic

forameus

First 4 episodes up on the network now, people seem happy with it on Twitter. Kay Lee Ray against Princesa of Mexico up first.

Only had it on 5 minutes and Lita (colour commentator with JR) is already doing my tits in.

Lita is making this unbearable. JR is pretty useless these days too tbh. Ok I don't think that's much of his fault, commentary in general these days is woeful. Scripted commentary just doesn't flow.

"I was irresponsibly using alcohol" whilst in the Straight Edge Society. Love that. 

JR is useless these days when he isn't overly scripted as well. Can't really hold that against him given that his heyday was so long ago.

Still good to hear his voice though and he does still add that wee bit of something special at times.

Finally got caught up on all 8 episodes.  Not really a fan of how they've handled the scheduling of this - quite a few things they've done just seem like they're wanting to get it out of the way, rather than giving it the same treatment they did with the CWC.  The earlier matches had a feel of the UK Championship about them, in that they were just filler to get stories heading into the bigger matches later on.  Even some of the later ones have been over far too quickly for me.  The commentary hasn't helped either, as JR just seems a bit bored by it all, along with the terrible lack of chemistry between him and Lita.  Mauro would have at least ramped up the excitement a little by losing his shit at everything.  I'd have given Renee Young a shot at calling the whole thing and put someone like Corey Graves in as colour.  Definitely could've been better.

Nice to see too that they've not just hired in 32 swimsuit models and tried to get them to have a tournament.  A wide variety of different styles and shapes (Piper Niven not helped by JR and Lita making constant references about how she's going to "crush" her opponent) leading to some great stuff.  A few years ago, someone like Niven or Laith or the one that described herself as a witch or something wouldn't have had a chance of getting into WWE as anything more than a "lol, look at the weird lady".  Niven looked great in all her matches, and wouldn't be surprised to see her signed if she's interested.

The final is probably how everyone thought it'd be.  At one point it looked like Sane would tap out and give us a surprising opponent for Baszler, but was always going to be her.  Interesting to see where they go with it - assume Sane will win it, and if she does I hope it's after a long match where they take each other to the limit.  I thought we were getting that with the Martinez semi final, but then we just got the usual Brock Lesnar finish.

However, Abbie Laith :wub: Dakota Kai :wub: they're just lovely

The commentary remains the obvious failure of the whole tournament. JR is just a lot slower than he used to be which leads to a lot of gaps which Lita isn't experienced enough to fill. JR was distractingly bad for these matches and a poor comparison to what Michael Cole's commentary was like for the british tourney with Nigel McGuiness. The energy Mauro brought to the CWC helped put moves/matches over hugely (even if some find him annoying).

Final should be decent - could see it going either was as i'd assumed Sane was going to lose like Ibushi did in the CWC to get someone else over.

I still haven't been brave enough to sit through the other 7 episodes. Might give it a go over the weekend. I am fine with annoying or cringe commentary as you can get a laugh out of it and they tend to still be quite good at their job. With Lita it's just awful and quite depressing to listen to. No matter how good the in ring action is, commentary and crowd can kill matches sometimes. I fear that's what I'll experience if I keep going.

Went on bleacher report to read Smackdown results hoping I wouldn't get spoiled - one of their big headlines screams "SANE BEATS BAESZLER!".  Oh well.

Sounds like it was OK match, but for all they've tried to make it seem like a big deal, they've really done the opposite at several points.  

Archived