Dumbarton v Connah's Quay Nomads 2/9/17 2.30pm kick off

Silverton End

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

the sort of fixture only ever usually found at the end of a fourteen-hour championship manager binge.

utterly bizarre.

(PS Dumbarton will win very easily- CQN are gash).

We are struggling to score right now, hopefully Stevie Aitken can unearth a target man this week.

CQN have scored 7 in 3 games, albeit I know little of the standard of their games played, but at least they know the way to the goal.

Bit confused re their name, Welsh Premier League has them as Gap Connah's Quay, maybe all the players work in the famous clothing store? :P

GAP are a big recruitment agency in North Wales. They used to sponsor Wrexham and have been involved in supporting local football for a long time.

The squad is a mixture of washed up ex-Chester and Wrexham players and youth who didn't quite make it at professional English sides. CQN market themsevles as a "community club" and have loads of age group sides but sadly their efforts have largely met with indifference to date.

The Welsh premier has improved in recent seasons but the standard overall I would peg as being lower half of Conference North/ top half of Northern Premier League. About part-time league one standard in Scotland. I think TNS are the only Welsh side who could entertain reasonable hopes of competing in the Scottish Championship.

16 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

GAP are a big recruitment agency in North Wales. They used to sponsor Wrexham and have been involved in supporting local football for a long time.

The squad is a mixture of washed up ex-Chester and Wrexham players and youth who didn't quite make it at professional English sides. CQN market themsevles as a "community club" and have loads of age group sides but sadly their efforts have largely met with indifference to date.

The Welsh premier has improved in recent seasons but the standard overall I would peg as being lower half of Conference North/ top half of Northern Premier League. About part-time league one standard in Scotland. I think TNS are the only Welsh side who could entertain reasonable hopes of competing in the Scottish Championship.

Cheers.

So CQN are roughly on par with...Bonnyrigg Rose :(:o

1 hour ago, Silverton End said:

Cheers.

So CQN are roughly on par with...Bonnyrigg Rose :(:o

Not so sure about that. They have beaten Helsinki (who are running away with their league) at home in a Europa League qualifier and seem to be operating as a full-time/part time hybrid this season.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

49 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

It seems so. I checked their website and I think they have about 6 full-timers. I think a recent home league game drew about 140 odd.

Aye, I asked one of their fan pages on Twitter and they said the same. Seems...brave.

Anyway, I'd like to see plenty of changes for this, and the next Chris Kane/Stephen Dobbie/Jon McShane *DELETE AS APPROPRIATE* giving us all reason to be cheerful.

Half 2 kick off, so I'd imagine everyone's going to be seriously disgruntled when they don't open the car park to let people out 'til 5 :lol:

35 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Half 2 kick off, so I'd imagine everyone's going to be seriously disgruntled when they don't open the car park to let people out 'til 5 :lol:

peeeeeep-peeeeep-peeeeeep-peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!

Audible protest lodged (before consulting my lawyer).

1 hour ago, the snudge said:

The Welsh scout was sitting behind me on Saturday sneakily videoing the game from under a programme. He'd have been rubbing his wee hoofs together in glee after that performance. 

Curious as to why he needs to "sneakily" video the game? Scouts would normally take video footage of set pieces, etc. Most of them use an iPad or something similar. If he applied for a scout pass I'd imagine he was perfectly entitled to do that. I expect ours does it at Dumbarton ahead of our games too.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Curious as to why he needs to "sneakily" video the game? Scouts would normally take video footage of set pieces, etc. Most of them use an iPad or something similar. If he applied for a scout pass I'd imagine he was perfectly entitled to do that. I expect ours does it at Dumbarton ahead of our games too.

It was a video camera type thing. He was told to stop videoing anyway and sheepishly put his camera away. 

On 28/08/2017 at 12:31, Ivo den Bieman said:

(PS Dumbarton will win very easily- CQN are gash).

Hi there, it seems you're not aware of our record in this wonderful tournament that we treat with the utmost respect. Please see below and you may want to revise your opinion:

Venue Pld Won Drn Lst For Agst + / -
Home 16 4 1 11 14 25 -11
Away 16 2 0 14 21 41 -20
Neutral 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Total 32 6 1 25 35 66

66 goals conceded in 32 games. 4 wins at home in nearly 30 years of the competition. We do not win very easily in this competition.

8 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

We seem awfully late in announcing the prices for this.

My full weekend plans are dependant on whether this is a rip off or not.

Mon tae DFC, announce 10 quid.

It's hard to see any justification for more than £10 but I wouldn't be surprised to see £12/13 squeezed out of it.

On 28/08/2017 at 15:45, lionel wickson said:

It seems so. I checked their website and I think they have about 6 full-timers. I think a recent home league game drew about 140 odd.

I believe their semi full-time status is basically all financially supported by the money they get from European games.

Archived