German VPN for using Sky Go?

11 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Can anyone help with regards to watching Sky Go in Germany via a VPN or otherwise? I'm a complete novice at this stuff.

From using a VPN to watch iplayer and other stuff, I've never had any bother with them detecting the VPN, It seems to me they just use the tracking system that the likes of Google use to 'enhance your surfing experience'  (Sky might be different since it's subscription but the following will likely still apply.)  This means that if you have been on the internet but not through the VPN they will read your actual location stored by the tracker  and you get blocked even with the VPN. The way round this is to run something like Ccleaner (freeware for Windows from Pirisoft) or Bleachbit (for Linux) before connecting to the VPN.

I use Private internet access (just put privateinternetaccess or pia into a search)and am happy with them, fast and reliable with good support if you need it. Good info on how it works, how to set it up etc. on their site.

If you want a freebie try Cyberghost (used to work ok if you don't mind waiting 'in a queue' to get connected) Tip :- don't fall for their super duper special offer!!  It won't include the country you have been using but they don't tell you this until you have signed up and to get, for example , the UK you need to upgrade.

Other folk might be able to give you more up to date info on the free services.

Thanks for the help. I've signed up for a trial with NordVPN but will use Hola when it finishes. Basically, I only want this to be able to run IE 11 in order to watch Game of Thrones on Sky Go which is incompatible with any other browser at the moment. Their silverlight technology is a total shambles.

On 28/08/2017 at 06:28, Stellaboz said:

Can anyone help with regards to watching Sky Go in Germany via a VPN or otherwise? I'm a complete novice at this stuff.

I use https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ for my laptop, and Cloud VPN app for my phone. You have to pay a bit, 20-30 quid a year I think, but both are simple and reliable with no ads. It's also easy to change countries. Haven't tried Sky Go on either though so go for a free trial or one month only first. Used to use the free ones but got fed up with ads and unreliability.

• 1 month later...

I use airVPN and my uncle's sky login for any Scotland/Ross County games not on foxtel in Australia. It works well. Smart DNS worked even better when it was all the rage.

It occassionally goes into megadrive mode where the ball becomes a square blob and the players become 2 square blobs, but for the most part it's decent. I hook it up the the TV and watch it through an HDMI cable.

I use https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ for my laptop, and Cloud VPN app for my phone. You have to pay a bit, 20-30 quid a year I think, but both are simple and reliable with no ads. It's also easy to change countries. Haven't tried Sky Go on either though so go for a free trial or one month only first. Used to use the free ones but got fed up with ads and unreliability.

P.S. Private internet access doesn't work in Spain for Sky or BBC. OK for McBookies though.

Archived