Lowland Trapdoorwatch 2017-18

HibeeJibee

Depends what happens higher-up of course.

It's already looking very unlikely a "north of Tay" club will finish bottom of SPFL2... Elgin and Montrose are top half.

In that scenario, if HL champion won the playoffs then bottom in LL goes down regardless, and 2nd bottom too unless neither EOSL or SOSL champion is licensed.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bishoptonbankie said:

I apologise for asking whats probably an obvious one, but how does the promotion/relegation work from the east/south into the LL?

If I'm correct in thinking it goes as follows:

• Automatic relegation for the bottom side (I don't know where the dividing line is between the east and south regions) who are replaced by the winners of the play-off between the EoSL and SoSL (last this didn't happen as the EoSL winners didn't have the relevant licensing for their home ground, so Edusport came up unchallenged)
  • If the 10th place SPFL2 team come down into the Lowland League and are replaced by the Highland League champions then the second bottom team in the LL are also relegated
  • And I assume that if the LL champions replace a SPFL2 team who drop into the HL, both the EoSL and SoSL champs will move up.

Actually the last one sees bottom reprieved apparently, not both promoted, although your version would be the more reasonable.

Basically as you say in normal circumstances bottom in LL is relegated and winner of EOSL v SOSL playoff is promoted. (Of course there is no need for a playoff if only 1 is licensed and bottom get reprieved if neither are).

However in order to keep LL at 16 - it being impossible to move teams between HL & LL with no clubs between Aberdeen and Stirling - the number of teams relegated can vary from 0 to 2, on the basis of who gets relegated from SPFL2. Accordingly everyone's aim is to avoid the bottom 2: however they know that it's better to finish 2nd bottom rather than bottom. Such a scenario happened last season with Selkirk biting their fingernails hoping Cove Rangers would lose (which they did).

Accordingly there is still a single albeit unlikely scenario whereby there could again be an application process for a LL vacancy. Namely: if LL champion is promoted; SPFL2 relegated club goes to HL; and neither EOSL nor SOSL champions are licensed.

10 hours ago, colinmc said:

Heard selkirk not paying there players again !! Players going on strike ? When will they ever learn

Surely not colinmc???  I know they've been trying to recruit new players recently. Seems strange if they don't have the money to pay their existing squad. 

14 hours ago, colinmc said:

Heard selkirk not paying there players again !! Players going on strike ? When will they ever learn

3 hours ago, Soor Plooms said:

Surely not colinmc???  I know they've been trying to recruit new players recently. Seems strange if they don't have the money to pay their existing squad. 

Unfortunately I heard this rumour as well. Players/player? on quadruple amounts per week compared to other players as well. If true and it's a big IF all is not well doon Selkirk way. 

2 hours ago, come on shire said:

Not bothered who goes up as long as it's Newton Stewart.  I want a trip to the town where The Wicker Man was filmed, one of the greatest movies ever made.  The Edward Woodward version I mean.  Not that travesty with Nicholas Cage.

Unfortunately I think it’ll be Bonnyton Thistle that go up, hope I’m wrong though

5 hours ago, come on shire said:

Not bothered who goes up as long as it's Newton Stewart.  I want a trip to the town where The Wicker Man was filmed, one of the greatest movies ever made.  The Edward Woodward version I mean.  Not that travesty with Nicholas Cage.

I had no idea The Wickerman was filmed in D&G, I'd always assumed it was filmed someone up north, if not actually on the Hebrides.  

Didn't Shire play Newton Stewart last season?

2 hours ago, AlansHotBath said:

I had no idea The Wickerman was filmed in D&G, I'd always assumed it was filmed someone up north, if not actually on the Hebrides.  

Didn't Shire play Newton Stewart last season?

It was warm and sunny in the film. No way that was the Hebrides

We played Newton Stewart at home last season in the South Cup

17 hours ago, come on shire said:

Think the pub scenes were in Creetown though. But there were locations all over the place including up north.

On 13/10/2017 at 18:23, Bankies Alive said:

Can anybody shed any light on as to why Glasgow Uni are allowed to have their license play in the Scottish Cup yet not be forced to join the "pyramid"?

Glasgow Uni have been members of the SFA for a very long time, and a retrospective reversal of this would be unfair. They would probably join the pyramid if there was a west of Scotland 'senior' league, but this isn't forthcoming.

The other 4 licensed clubs who are outside the pyramid, are

* Linlithgow Rose (became members under the rules that applied when the pyramid was formed, as the requirement to join the pyramid was not specified by the SFA )

* Girvan (have had dual SFA & SJFA membership historically, and therefore retained SFA membership under the same rules 'loophole' as Linlithgow)

* Golspie Sutherland have been members of the SFA for over 50 years, but their is no route for them to join the pyramid (even if they wanted to) as the Highland League operates a closed shop regarding promotion/relegation from/to the North Caledonian League

* Banks O'Dee became members, as per the Linlithgow 'loophole' above), but are excluded from the pyramid by the Highland League's closed shop on promotion and relegation).

Cove Rangers new ground will be ready for use by Easter 2018. If they are HFL champions this season as is likely, defeat the LL champions in the play-off, and (say) replace Cowdenbeath in the SPFL, it would be morally & legally impossible to prevent Banks O'Dee from being accepted into the HFL, as they do want to be a pyramid club.

I don't think they should have given any preferential treatment to clubs who had previously been SFA members.  All clubs should be treated equally.   If a West junior club has to join the pyramid to become licensed then it should have been the same for Glasgow Uni.

Exception being the north clubs who have no possible route in (something the SFA should be dealing with but don't seem to care so far)

On 11/10/2017 at 08:44, The Mantis said:

Think the pub scenes were in Creetown though. But there were locations all over the place including up north.

The interior pub scenes are the Ellangowan Hotel in Creetown right enough - still looks pretty much the same apart from some framed stills from the film in the bar.  Strangely the exteriors of the boozer are somewhere in Gatehouse of Fleet.

Think they used Newton as a base for filming, but not sure if it actually appears in the film...I know the island town scenes were all filmed in Kirkcudbright.

• 2 weeks later...

November done...

Hawick now a staring at an 11pt deficit afoot LL. Remains very tight above that.

Kelty 5pts clear in EOSL, but Leith & LTHV still pursue.

Lochar lead SOSL, but Threave closed.

10   Civil SS    P16   W5 D4  L7   19pts,  -2

11   Whitehill   P15   W6 D1  L8   19pts,  -9

12   Edin Univ   P16   W5 D3  L8   18pts

13   Edusport    P15   W4 D1 L10   13pts,  -8

14   Vale of L   P16   W4 D1 L11   13pts, -23

=============================================

15   Dalbeatt.   P13   W3 D2  L8   11pts
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

16   Hawick      P14   W0 D0 L14    0pts

1   Kelty       P11  W11 D0 L0   33pts

--------------------------------------------