Trapdoorwatch 2017-18

2 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

With how close they've usually been, I think the bigger issue has been Club 42 getting home field advantage in the 2nd leg every year. 3 goals in the first legs and 12 goals in the second legs would suggest two dramatically different approaches to a first leg tie over the second leg. Flip home field advantage in the second leg and you might have flipped some of the outcomes.

1-0, 3-1

1-1, 0-1

0-0, 1-1

0-0, 3-2

Club 42 get the home advantage in the 2nd leg like the top placed teams get the home advantage in the Premiership, Championship and League One play off finals that is one thing that the SPFL are consistent on.

Why should it be any different for the League Two one?

1 minute ago, cowdenbeath said:

Club 42 get the home advantage in the 2nd leg like the top placed teams get the home advantage in the Premiership, Championship and League One play off finals that is one thing that the SPFL are consistent on.

Why should it be any different for the League Two one?

I don't agree with it in those circumstances either. You either have it at random or give the advantage to the team trying to get promoted.

2 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I don't agree with it in those circumstances either. You either have it at random or give the advantage to the team trying to get promoted.

Well its been going for 12 years and your the 1st person i've heard of complaining about it, 

6 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Well its been going for 12 years and your the 1st person i've heard of complaining about it, 

Quick check ofCove v's Cowdenbeath / Cowdenbeath v's Cove

On 12/05/2018 at 16:35, DutchBorderer said:

Congratulations to Cowden for negotiating the play-offs. Yes, the system is stacked in favour of the League 2 team, but you still have to win it, and the Blue Brazil have done exactly that.

Should promotion/relegation be decided across just 2 play-off matches? Hell no, especially not when the challenging team, Cove in this case, have to negotiate a prior round. They did well across the entire season, whereas Cowden were shite all year long but get home advantage in the second leg.

Let the Lowland and Highland champions square off as they do now, with the loser of that tie having to face Cowden while the winner gets a bye. Then, in the final round, Cowden/loser of the inter-champion tie gets to play the winner of the inter-champion tie across two legs for promotion/survival. That way you reward the teams that did well with a chance of getting a bye, and you punish whoever finished last in League 2 for having underperformed.

On 12/05/2018 at 16:07, stanley said:

Scottish football playoffs are set up to reward mediocrity.  

Bottom two should be automatically down from Premier, Championship and League One with one down from League Two.   The playoffs should be between teams who are going for promotion.  There should be no second chance for teams finishing bottom/second bottom. 

Lowland/Highland League teams have to go through two sets of playoffs.  Bottom of L2 just one set and, for some bizarre reason, they get home advantage in the second leg every season.  It's all set up in favour of protecting teams from relegation when the best thing for the game is to see teams promoted and movement between the leagues.  

I also think it's fundamentally unfair to base things on playoffs between teams from different levels.  If a Highland/Lowland League team is promoted they will have a higher budget and improve their squad in League Two.  Also, if there is such a huge gap between League Two and the Highland/Lowland Leagues then the promoted team will go back down the next season anyway.

On 12/05/2018 at 16:04, Enigma said:

Let’s also not forget that Cowden being at home second leg is a huge advantage. Could have all been different if the second tie was up in Inverurie. Time for automatic relegation.

5 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Quick check ofCove v's Cowdenbeath / Cowdenbeath v's Cove

I was meaning I haven't heard any SPFL fans from the other leagues complaining about it in the 12 years the play offs have been going. Everyone knows the rules at the start of the season and i'm sure if clubs wern't happy about it they would vote for a change at their AGM as they haven't you can only presume the clubs are happy about it as well.

Edited to add

Didn't seem to cause Alloa any harm having to play both of their play off ties against higher placed teams away from home in the 2nd leg of both.

Edited by cowdenbeath

1 minute ago, tamthebam said:

IIRC (because I was there) Shire having the return fixture at home against Edinburgh City didn't exactly help their cause... 

Exactly then again City wern't being all Billy Big Baws in their local papers all week about it and just got on with the job.

4 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

I was meaning I haven't heard any SPFL fans from the other leagues complaining about it in the 12 years the play offs have been going. Everyone knows the rules at the start of the season and i'm sure if clubs wern't happy about it they would vote for a change at their AGM as they haven't you can only presume the clubs are happy about it as well.

Edited to add

Didn't seem to cause Alloa any harm having to play both of their play off ties against higher placed teams away from home in the 2nd leg of both.

But we're not talking about the other SPFL playoffs are we. We're in Trapdoorwatch 2017-18 which is about promotion & relegation from the SPFL/HL/LL. It's a complaint being raised about the 4 year old playoff format that exists.

Just like you look at the other 4 year old playoff between Premiership & Championship clubs and you'll see complaints raised there. Probably because neither fit the format of the old SFL playoffs.

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

But we're not talking about the other SPFL playoffs are we. We're in Trapdoorwatch 2017-18 which is about promotion & relegation from the SPFL/HL/LL. It's a complaint being raised about the 4 year old playoff format that exists.

Just like you look at the other 4 year old playoff between Premiership & Championship clubs and you'll see complaints raised there. Probably because neither fit the format of the old SFL playoffs.

If your that pissed off about it send an email to the SPFL.

22 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Exactly then again City wern't being all Billy Big Baws in their local papers all week about it and just got on with the job.

Presumably that's a reference to Cove. Did they get a bit above themselves in the week before the game?  Assuming the job was done and they just had to turn up at Central Park? It would explain the toys out of the pram behaviour in injury time when the wheels came off.

Just now, GordonD said:

Presumably that's a reference to Cove. Did they get a bit above themselves in the week before the game?  Assuming the job was done and they just had to turn up at Central Park? It would explain the toys out of the pram behaviour in injury time when the wheels came off.

Yes and Yes

1 minute ago, GordonD said:

Take a look at the Aberdeen Express website a few stories on there.

• 3 weeks later...

Bump.

HL has released its fixtures for 2018-19. After over-running this season and having to delay the playoffs there are some minor tweaks to the schedule, but the fundamentals remain the same.

In a surprising move, the number of midweek league rounds has actually been reduced from 4 to 3, with the number of reserve weekends during the season accordingly reduced from 2 to only 1. Although the playoffs are a week later next season the league ends the same weekend as now, leaving a blank weekend in between.

There continue to be 3 midweeks for the Aberdeenshire and North of Scotland cups (although now Aug-Aug-Sep instead of Aug-Sep-Oct) and their finals will continue to be played on weekends cancelling HL games. Highland League Cup continues being played during the season (although now Nov-Nov-Dec-Mar-Apr instead of Jan-Feb-Feb-Mar-Mar).

Yes because both those play offs were introduced at a later date and involved the Premier clubs making a concession and the SPFL clubs making a concession. So completely different scenario to the original play offs which weren't templates to be slavishly followed