Trapdoorwatch 2017-18

Ominous clouds continue to gather for Cowdenbeath who now have 1pt from their last 5 league games and are now almost at a stage of having to claw back 1pt every remaining set of games.

Cove are looking ever-stronger in HL but, at least in theory, with over 1/3 of the program to be crammed into the last 7 weeks any collapse in form could still open the door for Fraserburgh or more tenuously Inverurie or Formartine. It's interesting how the challenge of Buckie and Brora has evaporated this season.

It remains impossible to call LL: if you corrected for games-in-hand but had 'Shire win their home game against Spartans you'd have EK on 59pts, Spartans on 59pts, BSCG on 58pts and 'Shire on 55pts: this looks like being a cracker right down to the last days.

7   Clyde       P23   W7 D8  L8   29pts

8   Berwick     P24   W7 D4 L13   25pts

9   Edin City   P24   W5 D4 L15   19pts

----------------------------------------

10   Cowdenb’h   P24   W1 D7 L16   10pts

1   Cove        P22   W20 D2 L0   62pts

---------------------------------------

2   Fraserb'h   P24   W17 D4 L3   55pts

3   Inverurie   P24   W16 D3 L5   51pts

4   Formart'e   P24   W16 D1 L7   49pts

1   East Kilb   P25   W18 D5 L2   59pts

---------------------------------------

2   BSC Glasg.  P23   W16 D4 L3   52pts

3   Spartans    P21   W16 D2 L3   50pts

4   East Stir   P23   W15 D4 L4   49pts

• 2 weeks later...

Cove's run-in:

Wed 28 Feb     Brora (H)
Sat 03 Mar     Rothes (H)
Wed 07 Mar     Nairn (H)
Sat 10 Mar     Forres (A) – HLC R2
Wed 14 Mar     Fraserburgh (A)
Sat 17 Mar     Wick (H)
Tue 20 Mar     - HLC SF
Sat 24 Mar     Lossiemouth (A)
midweek         ?
Sat 31 Mar     - HLC Final
midweek         ?
Sat 07 Apr      ?
midweek         ?
Sat 14 Apr     Brora (A)

? :
Clachnacuddin (H)
Forres (H)
Strathspey (H)
Fort William (A)
Wick (A)

Don't think Berwick can be viewed as 100% safe yet in the unlikely event that Cowdenbeath started winning a few games all of a sudden as they are only 4 points ahead of EC and that could easily narrow to 1 when they play against each other. If Cowdenbeath lose to EC next weekend it's very difficult to see a way back for them with a 15 point gap to overcome given they will be playing a few of the promotion contenders during the run in and EC's recent form has been quite good.

Don't think Berwick can be viewed as 100% safe yet in the unlikely event that Cowdenbeath started winning a few games all of a sudden as they are only 4 points ahead of EC and that could easily narrow to 1 when they play against each other. If Cowdenbeath lose to EC next weekend it's very difficult to see a way back for them with a 15 point gap to overcome given they will be playing a few of the promotion contenders during the run in and EC's recent form has been quite good.

No chance we are catching anyone. Somehow we need to find some form for the play off. If I was any of the teams trying to get promoted I would be looking at this year as the best chance of doing so.

19 minutes ago, onecowden said:

No chance we are catching anyone. Somehow we need to find some form for the play off. If I was any of the teams trying to get promoted I would be looking at this year as the best chance of doing so.

Totally agree. We are even worse than last season. If the play off finalist can’t beat us they definitely don’t deserve to come up.

Hope Cowden survive, best of luck. A good club with good people behind it, just badly down on its luck at present. without a solution to the ground issue however it's hard to see how the club can progress in the longer term.

The winner of the Cove v Spartans play off semi-final (pretty certain that will be the candidates this year) will be tough, though. Ironic that Cowden are in this position given the Spartans plot to franchise their way into the league a few seasons back, at Cowden's expense.

Cove may have been half hearted in their last play off appearance but suspect with the new ground round the corner they'll feel they have everything in place to progress off as well as on the park.

Good kind messages from other clubs regarding our current misfortunes. 

If we are in the playoffs which looks a certainty the more people we can get to the games to ensure Cowdenbeath F.CS survival would be greatly appreciated for those that wish us well. 

As somebody pointed out any club in the promotion hot-spot this season should do all they can to get up as it could be a your clubs turn next and it's a horrific experience as a fan of your club experiencing it even more so for two sessions running. 

Cowdenbeath are helping prop up those above us again this season and hopefully someone will be propping us in the SPFL next season 

Or maybe a stint in the Lowland League where you are winning most weeks instead of getting toued most weeks will be better for Cowden and their fans :)

Just maybe that is Cowden's level for now?

I'm not the only one to think this but if you finish bottom of any league you should be relegated.

I know it was self preservation from the SPFL clubs at the time to have a play-off between  club 42 and the winner of the SHFL v SLFL playoff but its time for it to go.

Feel it will go and hopefully not too far into the future.

If Cowden do go down hopefully they come back stronger :)

Edited by Whitburn Vale

17 hours ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Or maybe a stint in the Lowland League where you are winning most weeks instead of getting toued most weeks will be better for Cowden and their fans :)

Just maybe that is Cowden's level for now?

I'm not the only one to think this but if you finish bottom of any league you should be relegated.

I know it was self preservation from the SPFL clubs at the time to have a play-off between  club 42 and the winner of the SHFL v SLFL playoff but its time for it to go.

Feel it will go and hopefully not too far into the future.

If Cowden do go down hopefully they come back stronger :)

If we go down we go down no qualms from me about it league tables don't lie, well maybe the Premiership one after the split does:lol:. Its just been one bad season after another since 2015  and maybe we would get some stability if we ended up in the Lowland League.

18 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Hope Cowden survive, best of luck. A good club with good people behind it, just badly down on its luck at present. without a solution to the ground issue however it's hard to see how the club can progress in the longer term.

The winner of the Cove v Spartans play off semi-final (pretty certain that will be the candidates this year) will be tough, though. Ironic that Cowden are in this position given the Spartans plot to franchise their way into the league a few seasons back, at Cowden's expense.

Cove may have been half hearted in their last play off appearance but suspect with the new ground round the corner they'll feel they have everything in place to progress off as well as on the park.

Like you I would imagine Cove would be more up for the play offs than the last time with their new ground meant to be ready for next season. Spartans were my pre season tip for the LL and they have games in hand but EK have the points in the bag and have made some decent additions to their squad like Bryan Prunty since we played them in the Scottish Cup.

I'd like to wish Cowden well, and hope you stay up!

I've seen Spartans and East Kilbride recently, and they're nothing special.

Biggest threat will come from Cove Rangers, who I reckon will play in the play-off final, but over two games Cowden can stay up.

Anyway, as your local(ish) I'm going to make the effort to come along to Central Park to see Cowden in most of your home games you've got left this season.

Genuinely hope Cowden stay in League 2 for next season! All the Best!

I hope the best team stays up or goes up. Relegation isn’t nice but it’s part of the game. I would echo the guy above in saying that the bottom team really should be automatically relegated here.

I'd like to wish Cowden well, and hope you stay up!
I've seen Spartans and East Kilbride recently, and they're nothing special.
Biggest threat will come from Cove Rangers, who I reckon will play in the play-off final, but over two games Cowden can stay up.
Anyway, as your local(ish) I'm going to make the effort to come along to Central Park to see Cowden in most of your home games you've got left this season.
Genuinely hope Cowden stay in League 2 for next season! All the Best!

This Cowdenbeath team are truly diabolical. As much as I wish Cowdenbeath all the best, if cove or Spartans can’t beat them they should probably discard relegation in future as the teams below are clearly not interested.

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 19:05, HibeeJibee said:

Cove's run-in:

Wed 28 Feb     Brora (H)
Sat 03 Mar     Rothes (H)
Wed 07 Mar     Nairn (H)
Sat 10 Mar     Forres (A) – HLC R2
Wed 14 Mar     Fraserburgh (A)
Sat 17 Mar     Wick (H)
Tue 20 Mar     - HLC SF
Sat 24 Mar     Lossiemouth (A)
midweek         ?
Sat 31 Mar     - HLC Final