Cyclist charged with Manslaughter

mizfit

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know why this has descended into a cars v bikes debate when there were no cars involved in this incident which could have been avoided if the woman hadn't stepped onto the fucking road. 

53 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

I don't know why this has descended into a cars v bikes debate when there were no cars involved in this incident which could have been avoided if the woman hadn't stepped onto the fucking road. 

Quite right.

Bikes vs Women - which are better?

14 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Very, very true.

But those driving the cars are (almost entirely) safe whilst those on the bikes are being injured and killed in quite high numbers.

If you insist on trundling along at low speed right in the path of fast-moving pieces of heavy machinery, then yeah, you might get hurt. If cyclists are that worried about their safety, they should pull over and stop until the car has gone past, same as e.g. hikers do. Anyone ever seen a cyclist do this? Anyone ever seen a cyclist do anything to inconvenience themselves for the benefit of another road user?

If you insist on trundling along at low speed right in the path of fast-moving pieces of heavy machinery, then yeah, you might get hurt. If cyclists are that worried about their safety, they should pull over and stop until the car has gone past, same as e.g. hikers do. Anyone ever seen a cyclist do this? Anyone ever seen a cyclist do anything to inconvenience themselves for the benefit of another road user?

Pull over and stop? Every time a vehicle is passing?

That's a completely ridiculous suggestion. The hatred for cyclists in this country is so over the top.

Just now, pandarilla said:

Pull over and stop? Every time a vehicle is passing?

That's a completely ridiculous suggestion. The hatred for cyclists in this country is so over the top.

If cyclists really are in that much danger, it's a perfectly reasonable suggestion. If they value not having to stop over their own safety, that's their own choice and they should have to live with it.

In the last year I've visited Berlin and Copenhagen for holidays, two very cycle friendly places.  Everywhere has large cycle lanes that are separate to the road on just about every decent sized road and there are huge numbers of commuters riding bikes.  It takes a bit of getting used to when crossing the road but overall it seemed really positive and everyone got along well.  One thing that I noticed is that in these countries you never saw any cyclists wearing the full lycra outfit - people just cycled in their normal work clothes and I never saw anyone wearing a helmet.

I've also spent time in London in the last few months and there's no way I would consider cycling there - huge volumes of traffic, narrower roads and limited cycle lanes are not a good combination.  When I worked in the centre of Edinburgh I used to cycle in, although I could go most of the way on cycle paths and along the Water of Leith walkway.  If I went on the roads it was around 6am so it wasn't busy.  

the law the guy was charged under dated back to 1861 and hadnt been used since if i mind right, but cycling through London of all places at 20mph on a bike with only a back brake during lunch hour is a bit mental its not like London is quiet at the best of times.  By all accounts the wee guy is a bit of a bawbag due to his gobbing off saying she deserved it and it wasnt his fault.  At the same time from what i read she was looking at her mobile and texting whilst walking in most places these days people would sooner walk into you whilst texting than look where they are going and look at you as if your the one at fault.

Unfortunate accident that resulted in a death, any other time it would prob just be a few cuts and bruises. not that that's going to  change anything

Archived