Cyclist charged with Manslaughter

mizfit

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4818846/Cyclist-knocked-mother-ghoulish-tattoo.html

Been reading about this quite a lot recently. 

Does anyone on P&B Believe cyclists should be made to sit tests before cycling on a road, even paying road tax, or having to take insurance out?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Does anyone on P&B Believe cyclists should be made to sit tests before cycling on a road, even paying road tax, or having to take insurance out?

Don't think so.

As a car driver I can't begin to describe how much I enjoy having to deal with small, slow, apparently incredibly fragile and usually one step away from a full-blown roid rage, road users known as "cyclists".

Just now, Ramagamma said:

People who go on leisurely cycles on busy roads at rush hour are scum. We get you want to combine transport and fitness. That's great. f**k off to a velodrome.

Surely they'll just go round in circles and not actually get anywhere?

Radio Scotland had a phone-in on this just this morning. As usual, some of the cyclists came across as thinking that their fellow kind could do no serious wrong and should be allowed to carry on with the status quo regardless of the current problems that they are happy to sweep under the carpet.

Reminds me of that viral video from London a month or two ago where the cyclist pulled out from a left hand turn only lane into a path of a lorry who continued travelling straight on in the straight on his straight on lane. I saw which friends had commented on FB, and low and behold, only the cyclists were defending the cyclist / criticising the driver.

This said, how are kids meant to learn to ride bikes if they can't cycle on pavements or need some form of licence? Can't see me being a road cyclist as an adult now tbh, but I used to use my bike daily as a kid to head up to the woods etc etc. Too far away otherwise.

Plenty of bell ends on both sides of the debate. It's pretty simple for both sides in the whole thing, don't be a dick on the roads.

The cycle path thing is a good idea in theory but they are usually full of dog shit, dog walkers and joggers who get annoyed / seem surprised that there are bikes on the path...

The laws of when vehicle users cause death or serious injury to others are far too lenient. 

A person using a vehicle in an illegal manner that causes death or serious injury should face manslaughter charges. The vehicle was being used illegally an in an illegal state that contributed to the accident. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/568484/rrcgb-2015.pdf

RAS10012 Reported accidents involving pedestrians and one vehicle by severity and vehicle type, Great Britain, 2015 Number of accidents

........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........Fatal ........Serious ........Slight ........All severities

Single vehicle accidents Pedal cycle 2........ 100........ 304........ 406

Motorcycle 50cc and under 0 ........22........ 83........ 105

Motorcycle 51cc - 125cc 4 ........97........ 395........ 496

Motorcycle 126cc - 500cc 2 ........23........ 79........ 104

Motorcycle over 500cc 4........ 55........ 161........ 220

All motorcycles 10........ 197........ 738........ 945

Car 212 ........3,433........ 12,771........ 16,416

Taxi / Private hire car 15 ........203........ 861........ 1,079

Minibus 1 ........9 ........49 ........ 59

Bus or coach 26 ........ 193 ........ 737 ........ 956

Van / Light goods vehicle 27 ........260 ........ 1,002 ........ 1,289

Heavy goods vehicle 44 ........ 105 ........232 ........ 381

of which: Rigid 27 ........85 ........ 194 ........ 306

Articulated 17 ........ 20 ........ 38 ........ 75

Mobility scooter ........ 0 ........ 5 ........ 29 ........ 34

Other vehicle 10 ........ 39 ........ 160 ........ 209

Any vehicle 348 ........ 4,551 ........ 16,895 ........ 21,794

Accidents involving pedestrian and two or more vehicles 56 359 1,049 1,464

Of 404 reported pedestrian deaths caused by either 1 or multiple vehicles in 2015 only 2 were related to bicycles. 

Every road death is serious, it would be good to see the same attention on all other offenders. 

2 hours ago, mizfit said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4818846/Cyclist-knocked-mother-ghoulish-tattoo.html

Road tax for something with zero emissions?

Most cyclists will have already passed a driving test and will have insurance.

2 hours ago, mizfit said:

Road tax is a bit of a non issue for me, given the zero emissions.

There should be a minimum safety standard for a bike though.  Cutting about on a bike with no brakes is ridiculous.  (Admittedly I know very little details on the case, so and P and Bers can enlighten me if I've been wooshed by some biased journalism)

As usual the daily mail totally miss the point, who cares that the twat had a tattoo or not.

7 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

A classic fact which was barely mentioned on the TV news last night is that when the lassie initially stepped out onto the road, she was reading her smartphone. There's a fair percentage of Darwin Awardism factoring into this accident.

Except that she wasn't.. The very article quoted states that he claimed she was on her phone at the time but witnesses confirmed that wasn't the case, which begs me to ask, if he could see she was apparently on a phone, why didn't he avoid hitting her?  "On an internet forum for fixed-wheel bike enthusiasts, he later described how he twice warned her to 'get the f*** outta my way'."

If he had brakes this could have been avoided, but at the same time to play devil's advocate, if what he said is true about her seemingly stopping and looking at him when he was shouting, then why didn't she move?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2017/aug/23/motorist-would-not-have-landed-cyclists-wanton-and-furious-driving-charge

"Alliston has always been adamant this was so (including in some very poorly judged online forum comments he made in the days after the incident when Briggs lay in hospital) and the prosecution, who had access to CCTV and witnesses, did not contend otherwise. Instead it was alleged that with a front brake Alliston would have been able to stop before any collision took place."

So it does seem there is blame on both sides here but there's no doubt that twat is largely to blame. 

Road tax is a bit of a non issue for me, given the zero emissions.
There should be a minimum safety standard for a bike though.  Cutting about on a bike with no brakes is ridiculous.  (Admittedly I know very little details on the case, so and P and Bers can enlighten me if I've been wooshed by some biased journalism)

The bike he was riding did have brakes. It was a fixed wheel bike, you brake the back wheel by pedalling more slowly or stopping pedalling altogether. It just didn't have front brakes.

Archived