Lthv 17/18

In fairness to St Mirren, Saughton is a fucking shit venue, every time I’ve been it’s an open, barren, cold and windy place.  Of course it doesn’t help that you get fucked over whether it is Tynie or LT. 

Open, barren, cold and windy wouldn't make it "unsafe" though. They can't play the "banking far too steep, we'll fall over!" card like at City Park either. Assuming they bring in portaloos, it's fine.

It's also suggested on another forum the capacity is 1,500 with 1,000 going to St Mirren. If correct that's perfectly adequate, indeed generous - a quarter of their average home crowds (which obviously include away Championship fans), and above their normal travelling support. They only took 1,090 to Falkirk, their most recent league game.

Aye but that's down to no cover for 100 and no toiletblock or catering hut. Bonnyrigg's park has hardstanding down one side but the rest is grass banks (and otherwise it's a far more cramped ground with only 1 entrance IIRC)... nevertheless they hosted Dumbarton last season with a crowd of 1,552. Indeed that tie was pay-at-the-gate not all-ticketed and kickoff had to be delayed due to the numbers still waiting to get in.

Anyway if you think about it Coldstream is a licensed ground but it's got less parking than Saughton, also no turnstiles, much lower capacity than 1,500 and no elevation except in the shed... If you reached R3 you'd be perfectly entitled to play St Mirren at home, too, IMO.

There can be no worries over the rugby either - it does not kickoff until more than 4 hours after the match at Saughton, indeed fans will be leaving the game 2.5 hours before the rugby begins.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Seethe has started already from us. Get the popcorn at the ready!

https://www.stmirren.com/news/fans/fans-news/1279-scottish-cup-third-round-date-and-venue-confirmed

There's an issue as normal parking at Saughton has been reduced due to ongoing works.  I wonder where they will park the buses?

Train wise I would suggest getting a tram from edinburgh would be easiest way.  There is Saughton and Balgreen both walkable. 

I sympathise with St mirren rage but nobody will die but of it rains it'll be the worst afternoon of your life as there is no covering at all. 

We have no support so I assume it will be mixed standing. St mirren will be made really welcome. Biggest game in clubs history and we will do everything to make it a good day but facilities aren't great is an understatement. 

1 hour ago, heedthebaa said:

I presume it’s the facilities that are stopping LT getting into the LL yes ? But the facilities are ok to host a SC match of this size,  just seems a bit odd to me

You need a covered stand I believe to get licensed. I think we have plans on place but it's getting permission and funds in place. 

1 hour ago, rigano said:

You need a covered stand I believe to get licensed. I think we have plans on place but it's getting permission and funds in place. 

Quicker the better, that team deserves a bigger stage, hopefully it happens soon for the club 

https://citydev-portal.edinburgh.gov.uk/idoxpa-web/propertyDetails.do?activeTab=relatedCases&keyVal=02IMOG00DT000

... planning permission submitted Fri 16 Sep 2016, granted Fri 25 Nov 2016
... building warrant for Cover submitted Tue 21 Mar 2017, granted Fri 21 Apr 2017
... building warrant for Toilets, Rest Room & Servery submitted Wed 18 Apr 2017, pending

Plans, images etc. here:

https://citydev-portal.edinburgh.gov.uk/idoxpa-web/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=ODLCGCEWJOE00

Edited by HibeeJibee

2 hours ago, rigano said:

Capacity of 1,500 confirmed in club statement. Will be surreal going there this Saturday to watch a game with a crowd of 15 to the crowd in two weeks time 

Where is the statement?

HJ, are you able to offer any insight as to why the EK v Celtic game was switched last year but this hasn't? I'm assuming the smaller capacity of K-Park combined with Celtic having far more fans than us was the main factor, but I'd also wager K-Park is in better nick.

Not that I'm bothered or arguing for the game to be switched because I feel it should be played at LTHV's home ground (although I'd probably feel differently if I was trying to go). I'm more concerned about the embarrassment Saints calling for the game to be move will be caused - and then the embarrassment of failing to win!

EK wanted it played at K-Park of course: it was the local police and SFA who ordered it moved and that appeared to be based on fears of ticketless Celtic fans. EK have hosted a number of all-ticket matches at K-Park so there was no question of it being logistically impossible.

As I mentioned earlier apparently the SFA is also now "cracking down" on clubs moving venues: of course Albion Rovers have become serial movers and Bonnyrigg also did so last season (and were open about it being financially-motivated). That'd be welcome.

Only reasons for moving a tie should, IMO, be safety grounds (i.e. no enforceable capacity, which can only happen if an unenclosed 'public park' club qualifies, or genuine - not imagined - fear of "hordes of ticketless fans trying to break in"); or some temporary impediment like storm or fire damage, closed access roads, inability to provide toilets, etc.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Excellent retort from LTHV:

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/lower-leagues/lothian-thistle-left-bemused-by-st-mirren-s-saughton-statement-1-4601606

Lothian Thistle left bemused by St Mirren’s Saughton statement

Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale have expressed their bemusement after Championship league leaders St Mirren issued a statement regarding supporter safety ahead of this month’s Scottish Cup third-round tie at Saughton Enclosure. The East of Scotland League champions will welcome the Paisley outfit to the Capital venue a fortnight on Saturday, having overcome SPFL League 2 side Stirling Albion in the previous round.

Lothian confirmed preparations are well under way to ensure all safety regulations are met, with over 1200 St Mirren fans expected to make the trip along the M8. The club insists they have had regular dialogue with the likes of Police Scotland, City of Edinburgh Council, the SFA and St Mirren, with all parties in agreement that the match should go ahead as planned. However, a club statement posted on Saints’ official website yesterday suggested otherwise.

Lothian manager Raymond Carr was astonished to learn of his opponents’ reservations over staging the tie at Saughton.

“We had another meeting on Monday just there and everyone appeared in agreement, including St Mirren,” he said.

“As far as I’m concerned everything went as well as expected. I think they’re thinking about things like what if it is bucketing of rain. Maybe one or two directors of the club are saying to themselves ‘oh where are we going to stand’? I don’t know. As long as we have the safety aspects in place, which we will do, then I don’t see what the problem is. Police Scotland are all happy with what is going to be put in place with regard to toilets and refreshment vans and what have you.

“All the information will be on the tickets informing St Mirren fans of what end of Saughton they have to come in at. Is it the venue they are used to? No it certainly isn’t. So I don’t know where this is coming from. They have already said they want to play at Saughton, their players and manager want to.

“What they should stop doing is trying to take the romantic side away from it. My guys can brag to their kids when they are older that they played St Mirren at Saughton in the Scottish Cup."

The SFA confirmed to the Evening News that the game will go ahead at Saughton Enclosure on Saturday, November 18, with a 1pm kick off.