Friends with your enemies

ICTChris

In Canada, PC refers to the Progressive Conservative Party - so maybe this is just a spat between people who called themselves "progressive".
Joking aside, I though PC just meant being diplomatic and careful about how you say things so as not to cause unnecessary offence - why would anyone be against that?

I think it's the definition of "offence" that blurs the lines a bit.

Is it worth going bananas at somebody in group chat because someone said "I'm going for a chinky tonight"?

The problem is, often a discussion, no matter how civilised, questioning ultra-PC is dismissed by many the far left as "you sound like a Daily Mail reader" which instantly shuts any sensible debate down and makes it a left v right, Old Firm style showdown where you're either on one side or the other.

It's the same as when there's a Pride march or International Woman's Day - you get folk questioning why there isn't a heterosexual/male equivalent. I think most of that is born out of ignorance rather than deep rooted prejudice, but rather than educate people its instant "moron/bigot/mysoginist" type insults dished out, which polarises things even more.

The left should really be inclusive and open, instead I find so many on that side to be elitist and sneering. I agree with a lot of their sympathies but because I've perhaps got different views on other aspects they're aghast and assume I'm a secret racist or something.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

In Canada, PC refers to the Progressive Conservative Party - so maybe this is just a spat between people who called themselves "progressive".

Joking aside, I though PC just meant being diplomatic and careful about how you say things so as not to cause unnecessary offence - why would anyone be against that?

There's basic politeness around strangers. That's fine. 

My two main problem with PC people is that they go out of their way to take offense where none is intended (this makes them the rude ones) and they generally seek to force their entire moral code onto all of society.

Also, I think it's main function is nothing more than a modern class divider. No different than knowing which fork to use for which course back in the day. 

24 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

There's basic politeness around strangers. That's fine. 

My two main problem with PC people is that they go out of their way to take offense where none is intended (this makes them the rude ones) and they generally seek to force their entire moral code onto all of society.

Also, I think it's main function is nothing more than a modern class divider. No different than knowing which fork to use for which course back in the day. 

Start at the outside and work your way in. HTH

1 hour ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Ched Evans was cleared on appeal. Do you know better than the jury?

This was in 2015 when Evans was still a convicted criminal. At the very least, I don't consider him a very faithful or decent person. Then again you're a man who started a thread harassing Strathclyde Uni for not allowing anti-abortion groups on their premises. What is it with right-wing men who think they can decide things about women? (Yes, I'm a man as well)

This was in 2015 when Evans was still a convicted criminal. At the very least, I don't consider him a very faithful or decent person. Then again you're a man who started a thread harassing Strathclyde Uni for not allowing anti-abortion groups on their premises. What is it with right-wing men who think they can decide things about women? (Yes, I'm a man as well)

Harassing Strathclyde uni? [emoji23] I think woman's should be able to decide. I'm in favour of abortions- particularly when I'm the impregnator- however I am not in favour of censorship.

4 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Harassing Strathclyde uni? emoji23.png I think woman's should be able to decide. I'm in favour of abortions- particularly when I'm the impregnator- however I am not in favour of censorship.

Forgive me for not feeling very sympathetic to anti-abortion groups who harass vulnerable women outside hospitals and health centers... and not being able to spread their disinformation and religious nonsense to younger women in an educational setting.

8 minutes ago, Sunrise said:

Forgive me for not feeling very sympathetic to anti-abortion groups who harass vulnerable women outside hospitals and health centers... and not being able to spread their disinformation and religious nonsense to younger women in an educational setting.

No

By voting Tory you are condoning their policies, the ones that are killing people. Hard to be friends with that. Tories are inherently selfish. Hard to be friends with that also.

They may think that by voting Labour your condoning the implementation of policies which would see the economy crash and the poor suffer first.

In simplistic terms If you're right wing you believe that people are largely in control of their own destinies. If you are poor then you should have stuck in at school, worked harder etc if you're a criminal then you should have exercised more personal responsibility and not made poor choices and you should be wholly accountable for your own actions and deserving of all you get.

If you're left wing in simplistic terms you believe that if someone is poor or a criminal then this has absolutely nothing to do with them as an individual but it is societies fault for reproducing inequality and that people are doomed from the start by their social position.

Everybody's political thought process is therefore positioned somewhere along that spectrum where they adjudge the balance to lie between personal responsibility and societal influence.

If someone has a good job or another is poor or a drug addict then clearly a myriad of factors is at play. You can't just explain it all away by society or everyone in their social position would be poor, a drug addict or in a good job. And you can't just blame the individual as they'll have experienced social factors that make such an occurrence more likely to happen.

But it is an OPINION where that balance lies. There is no fact that anyone is more right or wrong than anyone else.

So the people on here who can't stand Tories are completely intolerant and full of hate towards other individuals because they believe that the individual is more in charge of their own life than society is.

There was a story going about a few years ago that coatbridge was the fattest place in the UK. 1 in 5 were/are obese. Unless there is some genetic predisposition towards obesity in coatbridge then there has to be some form of structural factors that combine to make coatbridge the fattest place in the UK- poverty, poor education etc

So while if you're a fatty in coatbridge there are likely to have been societal influences that have led to your situation- 4/5 people aren't obese- so there is something that you're doing that others aren't.

If we want to have less poor health in coatbridge then the state can improve education about healthy eating, access to fresh food, improve employment prospects etc- these would all lead to a drop in the level of obesity one would assume.

However, unless you want to lose weight it doesn't matter what the state does- you can always make the choice to continue to consume more calories then you utilise and privilege fast food over your health.

Right wingers believe that the best way to change society is for the individual- over weight person in coatbridge to assume responsibility for their own life and to look after their own health. If everyone in coatbridge assumed responsibility and exercised self control then there would be less obesity at a macro level.

That's a perfectly legitimate viewpoint to hold and one that everyone must recognise has some degree of truth in it.

Funnily enough the group of mates I share drinks with were brexiteers, Tory voters at the last election and No voters in the referendum.

Not policies I share with them but they are entitled to them.

We all like alcohol though so it's all good.

Seeing as my pals are all Dundee lads in mid 30s it probably won't be surprising that there is not one of us is not an independence supporting, pro EU social democraticy type world view.
The only britnat Tory I know is my grandad. What can you do?

Warfarin!

2 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It's that simple

Except for the staff who have to lay the table

Would they not start from the inside and work their way out?

Got a couple of Brexiteer acquaintances. When we meet I desperately try to keep the subject on football or the weather, but you can tell they're (separately) desperate to bring it up. They only ever have 2 points, control and immigration. So I get infuriated by their nonsense and have to get stuck in. Followed by 10 minutes of foot shuffling till we get back to football. 

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Got a couple of Brexiteer acquaintances. When we meet I desperately try to keep the subject on football or the weather, but you can tell they're (separately) desperate to bring it up. They only ever have 2 points, control and immigration. So I get infuriated by their nonsense and have to get stuck in. Followed by 10 minutes of foot shuffling till we get back to football. 

I don't know if I should be ashamed to admit it or not, I might be intolerant, but I've a number of people that I now avoid because I really can't stick their views on Brexit/immigration etc....

Archived