Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Brightside

Brand New

Probably my favourite band and one of the most under-rated bands in recent memory, I was going to make the topic about their new album, Science Fiction, but thought I'd open it to a general discussion.

Science Fiction is an utterly superb piece of work, I don't think there's a poor track on it, there seems to be many influences throughout the album from Bon Iver, Nirvana, Rolling Stones and I can hear a bit of 30 Seconds to Mars in there. 

Really gonna miss these guys when they're gone, what with them retiring next year. So glad I have tickets for what should be their final time in Scotland.

Fyi, SoCo Amaretto Lime is possibly my favourite song by Brand New, feel free to add or discuss anything/everything to do with this hugely under-appreciated band.

One of my favourite bands without a doubt. Science Fiction is a fantastic piece of work and if it is their last then what a way to go out.

Deja is one of my all time favourite albums and I was lucky enough to see them play it live, but their gig at The Art School was something else entirely. A gig I'll never forget.

Got tickets to see them as well. Been a band I've been wanting to see for years, love most of their stuff. Only listened to the new album once, so I've no opinion yet.

32 minutes ago, Sauzee#4 said:

One of my favourite bands without a doubt. Science Fiction is a fantastic piece of work and if it is their last then what a way to go out.

Deja is one of my all time favourite albums and I was lucky enough to see them play it live, but their gig at The Art School was something else entirely. A gig I'll never forget.

The Art School gig was really really special.  The encore with Jesse solo was incredible.

One of my favourite bands of all time.  It's bittersweet that Science Fiction is so good since it's most probably the last piece of work we hear from them.  451 is an early favourite of mine - reminds me of The Black Keys and even a bit of Bowie in the chorus.  Can't Get It Out too - it wouldn't sound out of place on Deja!

Thanks for pointing me to the new album. Your Favourite Weapon and Deja Entendu are albums that I go back to from time to time. The key to their greatness is the breadth of tracks on albums. From heavy to acoustic they nail each one. And the genre changes don't become confused as themes develop and flow through each album. 

6 hours ago, sonsism said:

The Art School gig was really really special.  The encore with Jesse solo was incredible.

One of my favourite bands of all time.  It's bittersweet that Science Fiction is so good since it's most probably the last piece of work we hear from them.  451 is an early favourite of mine - reminds me of The Black Keys and even a bit of Bowie in the chorus.  Can't Get It Out too - it wouldn't sound out of place on Deja!

The setlist on a whole that night was pretty much perfect. 

Can't Get It Out is probably one of my favourite songs they've ever written. Out of Mana and No Control are decent too.

I don't know what the rest of you think, but I hope they drop the likes of Jesus from the setlist.

Edited by Sauzee#4

Well, I've seen most of my favourite stuff from the older albums before, so they can drop anything they like.

I’m liking the new album, though not as much as some I don’t think. It feels very much likes it’s written as a last album and doesn’t reach the heights of the first three in my opinion.

Still can’t wait to see them again though I suspect, if time allows, they’ll be back in the UK at some point before they finish up for good. It would be odd only to do 3 dates (including Dublin) without announcing them as final shows otherwise.

Will be my first time seeing them, what are their sets usually like? Hoping to hear Jude Law at least off of YFW but that doesn't seem likely going by a quick glance at their recent setlists.