Sign in to follow this  
bluedragon

Junior Internationals – questions, help, clarification, etc.

On 28/01/2018 at 12:34, bluedragon said:

4 February 1963 SJFA Amateur XI v SFA Amateur XI (Annfield, Stirling)

Hastings (Nithsdale Wanderers) – forename or even just an initial required.

I am now following a lead for "Hastings (Nithsdale Wanderers)" and I hope that someone might be able to help.

Sam Hastings joined Hamilton Accies from Nithsdale Wanderers on 11 May 1957 at 17 years of age. He played seven seasons for Accies (139 league matches & 74 goals). He signed for Clyde from Hamilton Accies on 10 August 1964 and played for eight seasons (217 league appearances & 42 goals). He left Clyde at the end of the 1971/72 season and had short spells at Alloa and Queen of the South in the 1972/73 season before hanging up his boots. So far as I can see Sam Hastings played Senior football continuously and seems to have been a first team regular at Hamilton Accies and there is no sign of a break where he could have been re-instated as Junior. The player I am looking for would have been on an amateur form. He must be a brother or a relative of Sam. It looks too much to be a coincidence otherwise.

I have been given the name of John (Ian) Hastings who played for Whitletts Victoria  (1964-70) and later for Auchinleck Talbot as a possibility. Apart from the name there are two other clues.

1) Nithsdale Wanderers went defunct in 1964 and so could tie in with signing for Whitletts Vics in the same year.

2) With Nithsdale Wanderers playing in Sanquhar a move to a South Ayrshire club looks more likely.

It may of course be a red herring but if anyone can either provide a link or discount it then it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

We need some more help please. This time we are looking for a forename(s) or even just a first initial for the following players. By arranging them in club order and with a year(s) that they played I hope it may help people remember where an old club handbook may be kept  or an old team photograph may be hanging that might give a forename/initial to at least some of these players.

Thank you.

Ardrossan Winton Rovers              Lindsay                 1922

Arniston Rangers                                 Mable                   1923

Ashfield                                                       Bain                      1912; Barrowman         1900; Campbell             1917; Dewar                  1905; Dysart                  1901

Banks o' Dee                                            Webster               1926

Bellshill Athletic                                    Lilly                       1905

Benburb                                                      Leslie                    1890; McDonald           1894

Blantyre Victoria                                  Beadle                  1920; Hutchison            1904; Paterson              1894; Robertson           1915

Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic                  Easton                  1898

Cambuslang Rangers                         Chalmers             1918-19; McIntosh             1921

Clydebank Juniors                               Lang                     1922

Darvel                                                          Allan                     1927; Findlay                 1927; Nisbet                  1906

Girvan                                                         Murray                 1920

Glasgow Perthshire                           Bennie                  1927; Houston               1899; Keith                     1926; Knox                     1927; McDonald           1900; McKay                  1921

Larkhall Thistle                                    Creechan             1924

Maryhill                                                    Johnstone           1921

Muirkirk                                                    Grant                    1915

Penicuik                                                    Hornal                  1922

Pollok                                                         Stenton                1922

Renfrew                                                    Brown                  1916-20; Croall                   1914

Shettleston                                             Jamieson             1924

Tranent                                                      Gray                      1912; Pow                      1922

Vale of Clyde                                         Cunningham       1899; Lavity                   1904; Linnen               1899; Livingstone    1894; Ritchie           1900; Smith               1904; Whyte                  1898

Yoker Athletic                                      Hillis                      1925; Kennedy               1927; Prentice               1891

Just been handed three photographs this afternoon dating from the early 1920's.

One is a team photo with officials of an SJFA select v Ayrshire  at Meadow Park, Irvine, dated 9th Feb 1924. All are named (no forename initial) with their clubs.

The second is of a Scottish Junior League  Football Association team but no date or player names. On the back is a list of 15 games with dates, opposition and venues. The opposition teams are variously, Scottish, English and both Senior clubs and selects.

The third has no details but shows a team photo with officials and a ball boy. Just guessing but it looks very like  the Kilsyth hills in the background.

They came with a note saying they were found when the sender was clearing a relatives house. If these are of any interest to you, PM me and I will have them copied to send to you.

2 hours ago, garrellburn said:

Just been handed three photographs this afternoon dating from the early 1920's.

One is a team photo with officials of an SJFA select v Ayrshire  at Meadow Park, Irvine, dated 9th Feb 1924. All are named (no forename initial) with their clubs.

The second is of a Scottish Junior League  Football Association team but no date or player names. On the back is a list of 15 games with dates, opposition and venues. The opposition teams are variously, Scottish, English and both Senior clubs and selects.

The third has no details but shows a team photo with officials and a ball boy. Just guessing but it looks very like  the Kilsyth hills in the background.

They came with a note saying they were found when the sender was clearing a relatives house. If these are of any interest to you, PM me and I will have them copied to send to you.

Many thanks Garrellburn. I have sent you a PM.

Thank you for all the help so far from various quarters on providing a forename(s)/ initial(s) for these players. Here is where we stand now with the additions shown in bold and underlined.

Ardrossan Winton Rovers – Lindsay (1922).

Arniston Rangers – Mable (1923).

Ashfield - Bain (1912); Barrowman (1900); Neil "Neilly" Campbell (1917); Dewar (1905); Dysart (1901).

I have seen the Ashfield centenary book written by Charlie McCulloch and published in 1986. It has an excellent summary of results, league tables, etc. but not so much on players. I understand another book was published in around 2007. Can anyone help please? 

Banks o' Dee - W Webster (1926).

Bellshill Athletic - Robert Lilly (1905).

Benburb - Leslie (1890); J McDonald (1894).

Blantyre Victoria - Beadle William AC  Beedie (1920); Hutchison (1904); J Paterson (1894); Robertson (1915).

Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic - Easton (1898).

Cambuslang Rangers David Chalmers (1918-19); McIntosh (1921).

Clydebank Juniors - James Laing (1922).

Darvel William Allan (1927); Findlay (1927); Nisbet (1906).

Girvan - Murray (1920).

Glasgow Perthshire – Bennie (1927); Houston (1899); Keith (1926); Knox (1927); McDonald  (1900); McKay (1921).

Larkhall Thistle - Creechan (1924).

Maryhill - Johnstone (1921).

Muirkirk  - Grant (1915).

Penicuik Charles Hornal (1922).

Pollok - Stenton (1922).

Renfrew - Brown (1916-20); Croall (1914).

Shettleston – Jamieson (1924).

Tranent  - Bobby Gray (1912); Pow (1922).

Vale of Clyde - Cunningham (1899); Lavity (1904); Linnen 1899; D Livingston(e) (1894); Charles Ritchie  (1900); Smith (1904); Whyte (1898),

Yoker Athletic – Hillis (1925); Kennedy (1927); Prentice (1891).

Edited by bluedragon