Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bluedragon

Junior Internationals – questions, help, clarification, etc.

Recommended Posts

Was trial game at Petershill not first game on that surface ie opening game I think Ryan Jordan played for select team..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Was trial game at Petershill not first game on that surface ie opening game I think Ryan Jordan played for select team..

 

It wasn't the first game but it was played to mark the official opening of the ground. Ryan played for the SJFA and was presented with the man of the match award.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Rankbad1n said:

Was trial game at Petershill not first game on that surface ie opening game I think Ryan Jordan played for select team..

 

19 hours ago, peasy23 said:

 

It wasn't the first game but it was played to mark the official opening of the ground. Ryan played for the SJFA and was presented with the man of the match award.

 

Thanks for the information. Can I check one thing please? I have the Petershill v SJFA XI match played on Monday 17 September 2007 with Scotland playing the Republic of Ireland at New Petershill Park on Saturday 22 September 2007. I have Zander Jordan in the starting XI for the Republic of Ireland game but not listed in the SJFA XI plus subs. for the Petershill match.

From the information I have the SJFA XI and subs for both games is largely the same but 4 players featured in the Monday squad but not in the International match and two players (including Zander) in the International but not against Petershill. From your recollection it looks as if Zander may have been a late addition to the SJFA squad for the Monday game and was involved in both matches?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, lokforever said:

1st  March 2010 Rutherglen Glencairn 1v1 Scotland, abandoned at half time due to a Glencairn player leg break.

Thanks. I have added  the match to the list. The match details will be difficult to check out and so if anyone knows any of the other match details especially the SJFA squad, I would be interested to hear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Wile E Coyote said:

They played Auchinleck Talbot in a testimonial for Stuart McIntosh in November 2008

Thanks for the details that I have added to the list. If you or anyone else has any more information I would appreciate hearing from you.  The exact date, the SJFA squad and the final score would be particularly great  to have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

The Maryhill and Arniston ones were in March 98, the month before the Quadrangular tournament - safe to say they were trial games similar to the recent one that took place v Linlithgow. 

Thanks. I have now noted those matches as trials.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scotland

1- Ross -Beith 2- McDonald - Cumnock 3-Fleming - Bo'ness 4-Collins - Talbot 5-Pettigrew - Talbot 6-McKeown - Beith 7-Anderson - Rob Roy 8 Gielty - Newtongrange 9-Lister - Bathgate 10-Dingwall (goal 45m) - Pollok 11-McLaren Bathgate

Subs, all not used, Courts (Kelty Hearts), Strickland (Whitburn, Barr Meadow), McDonald Rob Roy), Hutchison (Camelon).

will do Rutherglen team next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1-McNeill 2-Hadden 3-Palmer 4-Prunty 5-Barr 6-O'Keane 7-Thomson 8-Hopkins 9-McLaughlin 10- McGladrigan  (goal 25m)11-Burke

Subs, used - McDougall, Fraser. not used - McShane, Trialist, McArdle, Black (gk) and Dickson.)

Craig Palmer broke his leg as he fell akwardly trying to keep Dingwalls equaliser out of the net. The game was then abandoned.

I was filming the game that's why i have all the details.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2017 at 23:03, bluedragon said:

 

The next question is on managers.

Davie McLaggan (Cambuslang Rangers) was the first manager and was appointed for the Junior International played on 8 April 1973 v England at Nuneaton. The month before Scotland has lost to Wales and so his appointment may have been as a result of that.

Paddy Winton (Jeanfield Swifts) was in charge for the next three matches all in the 1974 calendar year.

John Binnie (Linlithgow Rose) took over for the game against England on 18 April 1975 at Walsall. I believe he was in charge for at least the next 8 games until September 1977.

When did John “Yogi” Hughes take over?

As ever, any help will be much appreciated.

The year Paddy Winston was in charge might have been the time my old man was called into the squad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lokforever said:

1-McNeill 2-Hadden 3-Palmer 4-Prunty 5-Barr 6-O'Keane 7-Thomson 8-Hopkins 9-McLaughlin 10- McGladrigan  (goal 25m)11-Burke

Subs, used - McDougall, Fraser. not used - McShane, Trialist, McArdle, Black (gk) and Dickson.)

Craig Palmer broke his leg as he fell akwardly trying to keep Dingwalls equaliser out of the net. The game was then abandoned.

I was filming the game that's why i have all the details.

 

2 hours ago, lokforever said:

1-McNeill 2-Hadden 3-Palmer 4-Prunty 5-Barr 6-O'Keane 7-Thomson 8-Hopkins 9-McLaughlin 10- McGladrigan  (goal 25m)11-Burke

Subs, used - McDougall, Fraser. not used - McShane, Trialist, McArdle, Black (gk) and Dickson.)

Craig Palmer broke his leg as he fell akwardly trying to keep Dingwalls equaliser out of the net. The game was then abandoned.

I was filming the game that's why i have all the details.

Many thanks for the details of that match even though it had an unfortunate end. I have added in the details.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks for all the help so far. It is very much appreciated. 

Here is a quick summary now that we have input all the currently available information up to and including the trial match played at Linlithgow last week. There is still a long way to go though! This will change as new information emerges.

Matches - 325 matches (this include other, non-international matches) have been played by the SJFA XI. We are now trying to find more of these other matches (see earlier post). We currently do not know the final score in 6 of the games. The total includes 3 matches that were postponed and one that was abandoned at half-time. Of the remaining matches Junior Scotland had a 57% win percentage.

Players – we have 2,491 players listed. This number will come down after further work. For example, we have 19 players named Paterson and forenames for only four. Some of the remaining 15 may prove to be the same player but have just moved clubs between Junior Scotland matches. Tommy Ure (Linlithgow Rose) played the most times (17 matches) but only 12 of those matches would be capped matches. Alex Hendrie (Shotts Bon Accord) also played in 12 cap games in his total of 15 matches. Bert McNab (Petershill) played in the most capped games (13) in his 14 appearances.

Goals – 757 goals scored. There are only 9 “own goals” but we will be looking for the names of 65 unknown goalscorers. Five players have each scored 7 goals. Billy Spence (Kelty Hearts & Hill of Beath Hawthorn) had the best return with 7 goals in 10 games. Bryan Dingwall (Maryhill & Pollok) and Denis Gray (Auchinleck Talbot) both scored 7 goals in 12 matches. Players named Robertson and White each scored 7 goals on a seven-match tour to Norway in 1921 but we do not have all the line-ups and goal scorers from the tour.

Clubs – Pollok lead the way in providing 50 players who between them made 120 appearances.

Grounds – the following grounds have hosted the most games in the five countries within the British Isles: England – Villa Park, Birmingham (6); Northern Ireland - Solitude, Belfast (16); Scotland - Firhill Park, Glasgow (25); Republic of Ireland - Dalymount Park, Dublin (8) and Wales - Farrar Road, Bangor (10). Amongst the Junior clubs Linlithgow Rose’s Prestonfield has hosted the most matches (9).

Full and Junior Internationals – we have 47 players who played for the SJFA XI and then between them went on to win 364 full caps. 102 of those full caps were won by Kenny Dalglish (Cumbernauld United). We also have a “Wembley Wizard” (Jimmy Dunn) and two “Lisbon Lions” (Stevie Chalmers and Jimmy Johnstone) in line-ups.

Brothers – we have been careful to ensure we do not mix up brothers. We have both Alex & Jim Scott as Junior caps and also the brothers of Willie Ormond, Sir Alex Ferguson, Bobby Murdoch and Neil Mochan in line-ups. There will be others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bluedragon said:

Thanks for the details that I have added to the list. If you or anyone else has any more information I would appreciate hearing from you.  The exact date, the SJFA squad and the final score would be particularly great  to have. 

It looks like it was 16th Nov 2008. The score was Talbot 0  SJFA XI 3

A quick google search brought up a small preview of the game and a small match report that mentions some of the players involved but I don't know the full squad

 

GLOVE king Stuart McIntosh faces the game of his life on Sunday – but he always knew it was coming.

Ten years with Auchinleck Talbot are rewarded with a testimonial against an SJFA select at Beechwood Park (kick-off 2pm).

Tosh, 34, said: “I can’t think of another club in Scotland over the last 20 years which has had more testimonials and that tells you everything about Talbot. There’s just something about the place and you are so well looked after.

“You can’t hang around at a club for ten years without enjoying it and I had a brilliant time at Talbot including a fantastic double season in 2006 when we won the Scottish Cup and league.”

Tosh, who quit playing because of a back injury, will play for a Talbot select that will include old boys Gavin Friels, Kevin Biggart, Paul Hyslop and Derek McCulloch.

The SJFA select includes Kris Doolan (Auchinleck), Stuart McDonald (Cumnock), Brian McKeown (Beith) and Irvine Meadow pair Mark Crilly and David Hamilton.

 

 

LEGEND keeper Stuart McIntosh bowed out with a clean sheet and was told: “You quit playing too early.”

Tosh played the first 44 minutes for Auchinleck Talbot in his testimonial against an SJFA select at Beechwood Park on Sunday. And the game was scoreless when he handed over the gloves to James Evans.

Boss Tommy Sloan said: “Tosh had one or two good saves and showed he’s still a good keeper. In my opinion, he retired from the game too early after giving us ten good seasons.”

Talbot old boys Kevin Biggart, Derek McCulloch, George Wallace and Paul Hyslop returned to play tribute.

But a Junior Scotland select, led by new boss Keith Burgess and with five uncapped players, won 3-0 with second-half strikes from Chris Cruickshank, Bryan Dingwall and Jim Lister. Evans saved a late penalty from Lister.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wile E Coyote said:

It looks like it was 16th Nov 2008. The score was Talbot 0  SJFA XI 3

A quick google search brought up a small preview of the game and a small match report that mentions some of the players involved but I don't know the full squad

 

GLOVE king Stuart McIntosh faces the game of his life on Sunday – but he always knew it was coming.

Ten years with Auchinleck Talbot are rewarded with a testimonial against an SJFA select at Beechwood Park (kick-off 2pm).

Tosh, 34, said: “I can’t think of another club in Scotland over the last 20 years which has had more testimonials and that tells you everything about Talbot. There’s just something about the place and you are so well looked after.

“You can’t hang around at a club for ten years without enjoying it and I had a brilliant time at Talbot including a fantastic double season in 2006 when we won the Scottish Cup and league.”

Tosh, who quit playing because of a back injury, will play for a Talbot select that will include old boys Gavin Friels, Kevin Biggart, Paul Hyslop and Derek McCulloch.

The SJFA select includes Kris Doolan (Auchinleck), Stuart McDonald (Cumnock), Brian McKeown (Beith) and Irvine Meadow pair Mark Crilly and David Hamilton.

 

 

LEGEND keeper Stuart McIntosh bowed out with a clean sheet and was told: “You quit playing too early.”

Tosh played the first 44 minutes for Auchinleck Talbot in his testimonial against an SJFA select at Beechwood Park on Sunday. And the game was scoreless when he handed over the gloves to James Evans.

Boss Tommy Sloan said: “Tosh had one or two good saves and showed he’s still a good keeper. In my opinion, he retired from the game too early after giving us ten good seasons.”

Talbot old boys Kevin Biggart, Derek McCulloch, George Wallace and Paul Hyslop returned to play tribute.

But a Junior Scotland select, led by new boss Keith Burgess and with five uncapped players, won 3-0 with second-half strikes from Chris Cruickshank, Bryan Dingwall and Jim Lister. Evans saved a late penalty from Lister.

 

 

 

Many thanks for the reports that gives me the full-time and half-time scores together with goalscorers and the names of 8 of the SJFA XI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06 September 2017 at 11:38, bluedragon said:

A few questions from the Post-War period up to and including 1959.

 

Pryde

There were three players named Prydes capped at around the same time and so far I can seare different players

Willie Pryde (Newtongrange Star) played at the club from 1945/46 to 1950/51 and was capped three times in 1951 at right back

Willie Pryde (Bo’ness United) capped once in 1947 as outside left

[no forename] Pryde (Newburgh) capped three times in 1950 at left half

Does anyone know any different?

 

Sorry to come to this late but I was on holiday.

The Willie Pryde of Bo'ness had played for Bo'ness Cadora pre-war, then signed for the new United on demob.  He moved to Southend United in July 1947.

The Pryde that played for Newburgh was, I believe, Jim Pryde.  He went on to play for Rangers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Jambo'ness said:

Sorry to come to this late but I was on holiday.

The Willie Pryde of Bo'ness had played for Bo'ness Cadora pre-war, then signed for the new United on demob.  He moved to Southend United in July 1947.

The Pryde that played for Newburgh was, I believe, Jim Pryde.  He went on to play for Rangers.

Thanks Jambo’ness. That sorts that out and confirms I have three different players. Thanks to your lead I have found:

Willie Pryde (Bo’ness United) signed for Southend United on 1 July 1947 and had two seasons with the Essex club (17 league matches/0 goals). He returned to Scotland when he signed for Stenhousemuir on 20 April 1950 (2 matches /0 goals).

Jim Pryde (Newburgh) signed for Rangers on 22 April 1950 and had six years at the club (11 league games/0 goals) before moving to Northampton Town and later Morton (5 league games/0 goals).

Willie Pryde (Newtongrange Star) signed for Airdrieonians on 26 January 1951 and had four season there (51 league games/1 goals).

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

October 22nd 1995, Camelon Juniors v Scotland Junior XI,  Camelon 75th Anniversary Match

Scotland Squad from the Programme was  Myles Hogarth (Nitten), Kevin Budinauckas (Armadale), Mark Williams (Bens), Eddie Halford (Bo'ness), Scott Archer, Robert Anderson, david Fulton (all Arthurlie), David Elliot, John Paisley (both Pollok), Bryan Smith (Peasy), David Henderson (HRU), Martin Nelson (Shettleston), Graham Little (Ormiston), Wullie Spence (HOB), Davie Walker (Glenafton).  Manager Dennis Grayt

Edited by prorege

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, prorege said:

October 22nd 1995, Camelon Juniors v Scotland Junior XI,  Camelon 75th Anniversary Match

Scotland Squad from the Programme was  Myles Hogarth (Nitten), Kevin Budinauckas (Armadale), Mark Williams (Bens), Eddie Halford (Bo'ness), Scott Archer, Robert Anderson, david Fulton (all Arthurlie), David Elliot, John Paisley (both Pollok), Bryan Smith (Peasy), David Henderson (HRU), Martin Nelson (Shettleston), Graham Little (Ormiston), Wullie Spence (HOB), Davie Walker (Glenafton).  Manager Dennis Grayt

Thanks Prorege. I have added in all the match details. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am looking for some more help please. I am trying to find the forename of each of the  following players from the 1960's, 1970's and 1980's who each made one appearance  for the SJFA XI and mostly in non-international  matches. 

Conlin (Camelon) 1961

Fallon (Neilston Victoria) 1962

Fascioni (Kirkintilloch Rob Roy) 1962

Fraser (Rutherglen Glencairn) 1962

Inkson (Banks o'Dee) 1968

Kegman (Shotts Bon Accord) 1962

McCulloch (Glenafton Athletic) 1982

McKenzie (Cambuslang Rangers) 1962

McMillan (Pollok) 1962

Paterson (Sauchie) 1969

Rundell (Saltcoats Victoria) 1962

Turnbull (Aberdeen Sunnybank) 1981

I also have two players where I am also looking for their club as well:

Denholm (Unknown) 1971

Harkins (Unknown) 1979

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Paterson (Sauchie) was a goalkeeper, it was John, more usually Jock. 

I have written a couple of books on Shotts Bon Accord and have never encountered the name Kegman as a player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×