Free season tickets for school age kids

fan of the juniors

IMG_0046.jpg

I know a few of the clubs let under 16s in for free in the West with Troon & Kilwinning always having done so

So glad to announce that the club have decided upon the decision of offfering free season tickets to all school age kids .

These will be available at all the schools in the town

A great way to encourage the next generation of fans I think

Personally I think it's current supporters that keep young yins away. The way adults behave at a fitba match, especially a Junior match, is a case study in how not to conduct yourself when you grow up. 

No place for weans to be as things stand.

47 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Personally I think it's current supporters that keep young yins away. The way adults behave at a fitba match, especially a Junior match, is a case study in how not to conduct yourself when you grow up. 

No place for weans to be as things stand.

Agree with you to an extent but still think the positives outweigh the negatives.

The worst excesses of the behaviour - mainly the language and the sort of shouts you hear -  probably isn't somewhere people want to be taking their weans but the worst elements shouldn't be allowed to spoil it for the rest. A lot of Junior grounds are ideal for folk to let their weans run about and play with their pals while the football gets watched in peace. 

Even with quite a conspicuous booze culture in some stadiums/ supports I wouldn't say there was any danger to weans as such beyond hearing some choice language. You'd ultimately hope that a couple of hours exposure to Junior fans a fortnight wouldn't be too detrimental to the wean's development!

11 minutes ago, Shanner said:

Agree with you to an extent but still think the positives outweigh the negatives.

The worst excesses of the behaviour - mainly the language and the sort of shouts you hear -  probably isn't somewhere people want to be taking their weans but the worst elements shouldn't be allowed to spoil it for the rest. A lot of Junior grounds are ideal for folk to let their weans run about and play with their pals while the football gets watched in peace. 

Even with quite a conspicuous booze culture in some stadiums/ supports I wouldn't say there was any danger to weans as such beyond hearing some choice language. You'd ultimately hope that a couple of hours exposure to Junior fans a fortnight wouldn't be too detrimental to the wean's development!

In other words.......

What your weans will hear at a football match is nothing, compared to what they will/do hear in school.

:lol:

Kids have been getting free entry to ladeside games for last few seasons , so hopefully with the tickets available at schools it will encourage kids that are new to town or didn't realise that they could get in for free to come along, well done all involved

You're missing my point, lads. The difference with bad behaviour at school is that it's the kids peers who are being unruly. At the gemme, it's their own dads, uncles, grandpas, or just other adults from their community who shout and bawl in the vilest way possible. All seemingly excused by the fact that "It's fitba. That's whit ye dae".

At a Junior match the fans are closer to linesman/opposing teams and individual voices are much more audible. It's a self perpetuating horror.

Also, how is allowing the weans to run about for nearly two hours good for the future of the game?

weans running about doesn't really need to be directly beneficial to the future of the game because it is benefiting the present by getting the parent paying to get in and watch the match. 

But maybe one day those weans getting in for nothing will stop running about like wee fuds and take an interest in events on the pitch, that won't happen unless they're in the habit of attending in the first place.

Of course, if you give 50 kids a season ticket you'd be doing extremely well for that investment to yield 10% of them coming back in later life under their own steam, but it's still about the only way for clubs to regenerate their dwindling fan-bases, and when they do come back they can swear as much as they like!

21 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

You're missing my point, lads. The difference with bad behaviour at school is that it's the kids peers who are being unruly. At the gemme, it's their own dads, uncles, grandpas, or just other adults from their community who shout and bawl in the vilest way possible. All seemingly excused by the fact that "It's fitba. That's whit ye dae".

At a Junior match the fans are closer to linesman/opposing teams and individual voices are much more audible. It's a self perpetuating horror.

Also, how is allowing the weans to run about for nearly two hours good for the future of the game?

It increases their lung capacity and builds their leg muscles,jb?  :huh:

The real question here though is how the Henry Higgins type managers and players interviewed by Jim O'D manage to tolerate the abuse from some of the rough gems on the sidelines.:unsure:

55 minutes ago, Sheep77 said:

Most juniors let kids in for free anyway 

I think it's an experiment that most teams have tried at some point with varying degrees of success. I'm reminded sometimes of when the Scottish Claymores were playing at Hampden and flooded Glasgow schools with comp tickets, which in practice ended up with them bored shitless after an hour and playing chases up and down the stairwells for the rest of the game.

The problem is that many younger kids just don't have the necessary attention span to actually watch a game for 90 minutes, whereas older ones tend to go through that wee bam phase of testing the boundaries and can end up being an annoyance to some of the punters who are actually paying to see the game.

We may be looking at it the wrong way, as where the real demographic black hole is with a lot of - though not all - teams is in the 25-40 age group...effectively the Sky Sports generation...who are the ones we probably need to target.

7 hours ago, tommyboy said:

It increases their lung capacity and builds their leg muscles,jb?  :huh:

The real question here though is how the Henry Higgins type managers and players interviewed by Jim O'D manage to tolerate the abuse from some of the rough gems on the sidelines.:unsure:

That's what I mean, tommy. The wee metal barrier seems to mean that it's ok to shout obscenities at men, who would ordinarily stiffen the culprits if it happened in the street. The kids see men they respect doing this. Bad form!

Most juniors let kids in for free anyway 

Not down our neck of the woods they don't
My son goes to the majority of away games with me & it's the minority like the teams I stated in the op that do it .
Hopefully other clubs will see this & make it the norm though
They will get their money back in the long run as the kids invariably will spend their money at the shop at the grounds

Archived