AirdrieLOANians vs Alloa Athletic

20 minutes ago, Neilly said:

How did Furtado get on? Boy is a talent I'm amazed a Falkirk or something haven't taken a chance considering some of the shite they have.

Had a very good game was creative and is full of tricks i want him signed up asap as he is the type player we have been missing as he is great at taking players on and having defenders backtracking. Any time he got on the ball i felt he was going to be a threat exciting player to watch.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was not at the game , I have seen it all before , the writings on the wall and jim has made bad signings

and the subs he makes are sometimes baffling , renton, fleming please go back to where you came,  poor players i am afraid

and although we still have a good core of players they aint working.

Jim if you do not start turning things around we will be in a relegation battle and i cannot see the Alloa Board putting up with it .

well done airdrie Though ,all things considered quite a good show !

18 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

Was not at the game , I have seen it all before , the writings on the wall and jim has made bad signings

and the subs he makes are sometimes baffling , renton, fleming please go back to where you came,  poor players i am afraid

and although we still have a good core of players they aint working.

Jim if you do not start turning things around we will be in a relegation battle and i cannot see the Alloa Board putting up with it .

well done airdrie Though ,all things considered quite a good show !

I didn't have too many issues with his team selection today, but Robertson and Hetherington sitting didn't work out. To give the manager some credit, his subs helped tip the game in our favour last week.

Whether it's playing him further up the park or whatever (I'm at a bit of a loss) we simply have to try something to get more out of Fleming. 

Flannigan and Cawley are obviously good players but we look like we need a leader in there for both to play off. Folk complained about Holmes slowing the play down (I disagreed) but he provided that role which appears missing now. And our build up play is at times slower than ever then we resort to knocking it long- which at the moment isn't bringing us too much success.

I still think it's fixable, and it's too early to panic- but we will struggle to compete at the top end of the league if we don't make a few changes.

Wasn't at the game, but I wouldn't panic yet.  Goodwin's obviously well aware that we've got a problem up front, and is trying to do something about it, going by the sacrifice of McDowall in order to bring in TJ Hooker. We'll have more of an idea about how successful he's been once the first round of games are out of the way.

It probably helps that I figured we'd be fighting for fourth this year. Those attacking signings always looked like a bit of a long shot.

Folk complained about Holmes slowing the play down (I disagreed) but he provided that role which appears missing now.

We were crying out for someone like Holmer to provide some leadership yesterday. Getting rid of him looked like a poor decision at the time and so it seems to be turning out.

I still think we have a squad which can challenge for a playoff spot, but we are still searching for the right starting eleven and formation. Of course confidence is also a significant factor and we clearly lack that, but it can come back quickly.

Whether it's playing him further up the park or whatever (I'm at a bit of a loss) we simply have to try something to get more out of Fleming. 

Agreed.

Fleming started off as the 1 behind the striker in a 4-4-1-1 yesterday and certainly didn't look comfortable. I don't think he's the right type of player for that role. To me that's a Cook (another one we need to find a way to get the best out of) or Cawley.

If Fleming still has it (and maybe he's lost a yard of pace and hasn't) then to me he might be better either up front on his own in a 4-2-3-1 (which I think suits the likes of Flanny and Cawley) or partnering someone with a bit of pace.

A really powerful display from a newlook Airdrie team that has scope to dramatically improve.

Jack Hastie on the wing was simply awesome.  Pace, trickery, workrate, goals... what a player.  Young Tierney looks as good as Andy Ryan.   

The midfield is as powerful as we've had in years. Luke Watt can sit there and break up play all day long, freeing up Conroy and Fry to press on.  All 3 midfielders can win it, move it and carry a threat.   Really nice combo.

Defensively still some flaws but Bala at least offers some experience.   McGregor is some lump of a boy and seems more assured this season now he's fit (and doesn't have that moron Mensing beside him).

Replacing the ineffective injury victim Brown with Furtado (seemingly in pre season shape) was like playing with 11 men.  Only other time that happened this season was the impressive display v. Partick when guess what, Brown was out injured.

As for Alloa,  they've lost a fair amount of quality.  Waters, the strikers, Holmes, Kirkpatrick, etc., but not sure of the replacements.  Biggest issue for them is the knee wrecking b*****d in their dugout.  Despite my contempt for him,  I'm sure I'm not biased enough to realise he just ain't good enough for them.

A really powerful display from a newlook Airdrie team that has scope to dramatically improve.
Jack Hastie on the wing was simply awesome.  Pace, trickery, workrate, goals... what a player.  Young Tierney looks as good as Andy Ryan.   
The midfield is as powerful as we've had in years. Luke Watt can sit there and break up play all day long, freeing up Conroy and Fry to press on.  All 3 midfielders can win it, move it and carry a threat.   Really nice combo.
Defensively still some flaws but Bala at least offers some experience.   McGregor is some lump of a boy and seems more assured this season now he's fit (and doesn't have that moron Mensing beside him).
Replacing the ineffective injury victim Brown with Furtado (seemingly in pre season shape) was like playing with 11 men.  Only other time that happened this season was the impressive display v. Partick when guess what, Brown was out injured.
As for Alloa,  they've lost a fair amount of quality.  Waters, the strikers, Holmes, Kirkpatrick, etc., but not sure of the replacements.  Biggest issue for them is the knee wrecking b*****d in their dugout.  Despite my contempt for him,  I'm sure I'm not biased enough to realise he just ain't good enough for them.

Tierney as good as Ryan seriously?

38 minutes ago, Dynamo 2013 said:

Tierney as good as Ryan seriously?

2 superb finishes last week,  2 superb displays so far and he's also 3 or 4 years younger.   He WILL play at a higher level for sure,  way too good for L1

http://www.airdriefc.com/diamondstv/17/08/26

Yesterday's highlights.  Tierney drops off the front line and makes the pass for Hastie at the penalty in 1st minute.  

2 superb finishes last week,  2 superb displays so far and he's also 3 or 4 years younger.   He WILL play at a higher level for sure,  way too good for L1
http://www.airdriefc.com/diamondstv/17/08/26
Yesterday's highlights.  Tierney drops off the front line and makes the pass for Hastie at the penalty in 1st minute.  

He's very good with the ball coming to him on the deck esp with back to the defender. I think he'd benefit from a partner up front rather than on his own.

2 minutes ago, 2lgm said:

He's very good with the ball coming to him on the deck esp with back to the defender. I think he'd benefit from a partner up front rather than on his own.

The only slight criticism I had of yesterday's performance was the pumping up of high balls to Tierney from time to time. I agree that if he has somebody to play off he will be even better.

Really enjoyable display from Airdrie.

Thought most of the key decisions went for us. The penalty was more "seen them given" rather than a stonewaller, and Rohan was a county mile outside his box when he handled and could have seen red. 

I've been a big critic of him, but I thought Conroy was MotM. Furtado looked a fair bit overweight but you could see he has a touch of quality, he's exactly the type of player that Airdrie fans love.

The only downside is that we only have a few of those players under contract. We'd be fairly fortunate to get both Balatoni and Furtado signed up, but if we do, I'd be confident of staying up. 

Young Tierney looks as good as Andy Ryan.   

On yesterday's performance I have to disagree, looked like a little boy lost and struggled to get past the defender who had him in his pocket for almost the entire game.

I'm not saying he doesn't have potential, but yesterday wasn't his day, we seemed to penetrate their left back only when Stewart went on the overlap. IMHO

Pleased to see Hastie's made a decent early impact. He's easily one of the best prospects in our 20s the obvious doubt was how he'd get on in competitive games.

He's only 18 but if he keeps at it he looks as complete a forward as we've seen at dev level in ages. Where say, Mackin, was prolific at that level the reality was he was/is just a big lump to hit. Hastie has much more to his game in terms of athleticism and movement. He takes up good positions, is a consistent finisher and is one of those players you watch and think "has something about him".

As I said when he signed I'm pretty sure he finished our 20s top scorer last season with 14 but in addition to that he won a ton of penalties and free kicks simply by getting behind defenders in the channels and drawing fouls when he got himself between the ball and defender.

Of the 2 trialists I would most like to see Balatoni signed. He brings a steadiness to our defence which we haven't had for ages. Am reserving judgment on  Furtardo (if that's a correct spelling). Certainly a very skilful player but he has to cut out the pies. Just how much he will improve with training remains to be seen. MoM award was just ridiculous.

if he can lose a stone and gain more sharpness could be a useful addition but he strikes me as the type of player who could blow hot and cold.

From the post match interview Fitz is having another operation and expects to be out for 3 months.

41 minutes ago, rough diamond said:

On yesterday's performance I have to disagree, looked like a little boy lost and struggled to get past the defender who had him in his pocket for almost the entire game.

I'm not saying he doesn't have potential, but yesterday wasn't his day, we seemed to penetrate their left back only when Stewart went on the overlap. IMHO

I bow to your superior intellect as always RD but what has the left back got to do with it?

Really strong performance yesterday. Ferguson is growing in confidence game by game, the defence looks so much more secure, and the midfield dominated the game. Thought Watt was superb, and him and Fry really helped Conroy be more influential. Numerous times we worked the ball well to the edge of the penalty area, the only thing lacking a lot of the time was the final ball/decision making around the penalty area but that should improve the more they play together. Not sure about Furtado, thought he flattered to deceive a bit and not sure how he got MOTM, I'd have picked 7-8 others before him. He didn't play badly however and is clearly not fully fit so have to assume he'd get better. If there's money available I'd be using everything possible to get Balatoni signed up first, if there's anything left then Furtado would maybe be worth a gamble. As a whole the 11 that started yesterday are comfortably mid-table quality, the issue is obviously if we can sign the trialists and how long the loanees will be here for.

Not much to add to many of the posts but I thought the key to our win was two good CBs and a midfield which knows how to control and keep us  in a game. Will need to watch the highlights but I saw a penalty and it looked as if Ferguson had his hands inside the box but as always I could be way off. I thought Cawley and Flanagan looked as good for them but they faded in 2nd half when we should have finished them off long before Hastie's deserved goal. As I said before these young guys look like men compared to our under 20s.

One Alloa guy was having a real go at Goodwin over his team selection etc, but as the programme said about JG, he remained "calm and composed" as compared to kicking his opponents through a long career.

Stranraer looks interesting next viewing.

Archived