AirdrieLOANians vs Alloa Athletic

Looked at Highlights and I think Mr Finnie got it right at the penalty( for once?) but no clip of Ferguson. Great header by Sean McIntosh for the second and that squad looks quite decent. Pity about Fitzpatrick's injury situation but does a B licence allow him to be one of our coaches? Hope it goes well for him.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, waysider said:

Of the 2 trialists I would most like to see Balatoni signed. He brings a steadiness to our defence which we haven't had for ages. Am reserving judgment on  Furtardo (if that's a correct spelling). Certainly a very skilful player but he has to cut out the pies. Just how much he will improve with training remains to be seen. MoM award was just ridiculous.

if he can lose a stone and gain more sharpness could be a useful addition but he strikes me as the type of player who could blow hot and cold.

From the post match interview Fitz is having another operation and expects to be out for 3 months.

I want both signed but i don't think Furtado getting motm was so ridiculous he had a very good game and looked dangerous and was taking players on and  was also tracking back.When with Stenhensmuir he had motm performance against us, he is a young exciting player and i really hope we sign him just as much as Balatoni.

On 26/08/2017 at 15:53, diamondman said:

Both teams could be down to 10. Ferguson for handling outside box. Hetherington fortunate to be on after a series of fouls. Should have been booked for late tackle on Fry; totally missed by our friend Mr Finnie.

I'm not sure about the strict letter of the law (I could be a ref) but, when he handled the ball, Ferguson had at least one foot outside of the 18 yard box but the ball itself was inside the box.

My uneducated guess is that it's the position of the ball which determines whether or not there was a foul committed.

2 hours ago, stuartcraig said:

I'm not sure about the strict letter of the law (I could be a ref) but, when he handled the ball, Ferguson had at least one foot outside of the 18 yard box but the ball itself was inside the box.

My uneducated guess is that it's the position of the ball which determines whether or not there was a foul committed.

However dodgy still pictures can be I think this is pretty conclusive. But even without seeing yesterday's game, I know our situation isn't down to refereeing decisions.

DILGZdzWsAUFXHY.jpg

40 minutes ago, Waspie said:

However dodgy still pictures can be I think this is pretty conclusive. But even without seeing yesterday's game, I know our situation isn't down to refereeing decisions.

DILGZdzWsAUFXHY.jpg

Aye conclusive. Shame this wasn't in the highlights. Would it be a red card for denying a goalscoring opportunity? 

I thought we didn't look too bad in the first half. Said against Raith Daryll walks a fine line using his hands in the box and its came back to bite us today.

If I was picking the team I'd have let Martin and Crossan start instead of Fleming and Cook. I'm all for a bit of running at people to get them on the back foot and I don't think we get that with all the older guys playing. Think the problem isn't bad players or poor signings. (The jury is still out for me on Renton and Fleming. I think Cook and Malcolm are good on their day). Problems just that we play in front of everyone, give plenty of time for men to get behind the ball and then try and pick gaps once the opposition are organised.

I like Jim. I just hope he takes some risks with his selections and the players take some risks in attacking quicker.

38 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

If I was picking the team I'd have let Martin and Crossan start instead of Fleming and Cook. I'm all for a bit of running at people to get them on the back foot and I don't think we get that with all the older guys playing. Think the problem isn't bad players or poor signings. (The jury is still out for me on Renton and Fleming. I think Cook and Malcolm are good on their day). Problems just that we play in front of everyone, give plenty of time for men to get behind the ball and then try and pick gaps once the opposition are organised.

Cook wasn't even playing haha.

Aye conclusive. Shame this wasn't in the highlights. Would it be a red card for denying a goalscoring opportunity? 

I don't think it's conclusive at all.

Even if it was handling outside the box, it wouldn't be a red card as it wasn't an obvious goalscoring opportunity.

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

DILGZdzWsAUFXHY.jpg

I saw it from an elevated position, a few rows back from the folk in the shot.  Definitely looked in from that perspective.

Edited to say: I didn't hear anyone around me saying they thought it was out either.

45 minutes ago, Cooper81 said:

Cook wasn't even playing haha.

That's how bad we are I'd sneak on a 12th man. Hetherington would drop out. He's exactly the same age as me down to the day and before I tore my ACL I'd fancy myself over him.

1 hour ago, printer said:

I don't think it's conclusive at all.

Even if it was handling outside the box, it wouldn't be a red card as it wasn't an obvious goalscoring opportunity.

It's a bit like when fans shout about the whole ball not being on the arc line at corner kick but it does not require that; You can't tell from the still whether the whole ball was outside the line and the officials were clearly unable to confirm your view. Mind you if I were an Alloa fan I might be a bit miffed but as the elite always tell the rest of us, it evens out over the season?

13 hours ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

A really powerful display from a newlook Airdrie team that has scope to dramatically improve.

Jack Hastie on the wing was simply awesome.  Pace, trickery, workrate, goals... what a player.  Young Tierney looks as good as Andy Ryan.   

The midfield is as powerful as we've had in years. Luke Watt can sit there and break up play all day long, freeing up Conroy and Fry to press on.  All 3 midfielders can win it, move it and carry a threat.   Really nice combo.

Defensively still some flaws but Bala at least offers some experience.   McGregor is some lump of a boy and seems more assured this season now he's fit (and doesn't have that moron Mensing beside him).

Replacing the ineffective injury victim Brown with Furtado (seemingly in pre season shape) was like playing with 11 men.  Only other time that happened this season was the impressive display v. Partick when guess what, Brown was out injured.

As for Alloa,  they've lost a fair amount of quality.  Waters, the strikers, Holmes, Kirkpatrick, etc., but not sure of the replacements.  Biggest issue for them is the knee wrecking b*****d in their dugout.  Despite my contempt for him,  I'm sure I'm not biased enough to realise he just ain't good enough for them.

Absolutely nailed it DBM, although I still think there's a player in Brown. 

Hastie is quality and this move will be a stepping stone to bigger things. 

Agree on Goodwin , think I put in predictions preseason that Alloa wouldn't be in running. 

Us ,Ayr, Raith and even Albion are better sides than them 

Saturday's performance was absolutely superb.

We battered Alloa, which was at least in part down to them being a shadow of the team they were last season. I appreciate it's still early days, but that team doesn't look capable of challenging for the play offs at the moments.

For Airdrie, all the players got pass marks for me. Special mention to Luke Watt who was so composed and dominated the midfield, allowing both Conroy and Fry to flourish. The two trialists were also immense. Balatoni was solid at the back and Nelly ([emoji7]) gave us flair in attack which we haven't seen for years at Airdrie. Get those boys a couple of contracts ASAP, Mr. Ballantyne.

The last couple of performances have really made me a bit more optimistic for the season. We may be capable of a bit more than just survival after all!

You've had 2 games now ffs!   
Copper18 knows the colour of their undies,  their fav shower gel, what they had for their last 20 meals each and where their mums do their shopping.

Ah, thats who was following me round asda earlier!

Is anyone else still struggling to come to terms with who all the new guys are on the park ? Need to sit and examine the player sponsor page in the programme... and consider sponsoring one of the players without one.

Finished that off for you.

Archived