Scottish Pride

Cerberus

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a bit embarassing if anything. A country who sing songs about being brave and defeating england in a battle hundreds of years ago with faces painted blue and white, voting for another country to make our decisions for us.

If my kids ever excel in something enough to represent their country, I'll probably advise them to choose the country of their mothers side.

Much better to represent a small, ambitious and independent country than whatever the hell this shambles of a situation is.

It's been 3 years chief, you have to come to terms with it. The independence campaign was a tremendously positive process for Scotland but it was just too big a step for the older generations (and the establishment had just enough of a grip to hold us back).

We'll get it next time (see also 1979, to 1997). It just takes a bit longer and that's OK (the status quo is nowhere near as bad as you're suggesting).

Just now, pandarilla said:

the status quo is nowhere near as bad as you're suggesting.

I can't believe they continued the tour after Rick Parfitt died, that was quite bad.

(Pie and Bovril rule 17. Do not pass up Status Quo joke opportunity.)

On 21/08/2017 at 18:55, Bobby Skidmarks said:

Scotland is a beautiful country populated by massive c***s. 

I'm moving up north as I heard it was populated by tight c***s

On 21/08/2017 at 19:32, ICTJohnboy said:

Great Scots....

Alexander Graham Bell, John Logie Baird, James Watt, Alexander Fleming, Dunlop, McIntosh, Telford, McAdam,

RL Stevenson, Walter Scott, Burns, McDiarmid, Rankin, Welsh, Alistair McLean,Div McDonald

Gerry Rafferty, Jack Bruce, Stuart Adamson, Alex Harvey, Dougie McLean, Archie Fisher, Frankie Miller, Billy Connolly,

Jock Stein, Matt Busby, Bill Shankly, Alex Ferguson, Jim Baxter, Kenny Dalgish, Joe Jordan, Willie Miller,

I could go on and on....Apologies for all those I've left out.

Bring a tear to a glass eye.

7 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

This happens all the time. 2015 QF rugby world cup against Oz. Another fine example..

I thought the ref robbed us.

It's been 3 years chief, you have to come to terms with it. The independence campaign was a tremendously positive process for Scotland but it was just too big a step for the older generations (and the establishment had just enough of a grip to hold us back).

We'll get it next time (see also 1979, to 1997). It just takes a bit longer and that's OK (the status quo is nowhere near as bad as you're suggesting).

I've come to terms with it and I agree, the status quo, although not great could be a lot worse.

I'm just saying that all the 'who's like us' is a bit embarrassing/cringey.

I'd like my kids to represent a country that matches their own ideals/ambitions is all.

One day that could be Scotland but I'm not holding my breath.

I've come to terms with it and I agree, the status quo, although not great could be a lot worse.

I'm just saying that all the 'who's like us' is a bit embarrassing/cringey.

I'd like my kids to represent a country that matches their own ideals/ambitions is all.

One day that could be Scotland but I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah I don't like the 'wha's like us' stuff. The idea we're better than other nations is a bit daft (and actually can lead to worse than just daft).

But I think we've got a lot to be proud about. Heritage n stuff. It's good to know where you're from...

1e422ca16b8154a5581f6e8517ace3ee.jpg

9f6a4556107b60c9d82586d60c972b77.jpg

These. 2 great structures that still sometimes have me in awe each time i cross them.

And crossing the road bridge on a semi regular basis with work, watching this be built has been interesting.

696d46d93da886136e30e09a93115e1d.jpg

Gutted i wasn't fortunate to get tickets to walk across it.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

Yeah I don't like the 'wha's like us' stuff. The idea we're better than other nations is a bit daft (and actually can lead to worse than just daft).

But I think we've got a lot to be proud about. Heritage n stuff. It's good to know where you're from...

Do a DNA test, a lot of us are mongrels (I've not to be honest, no interest) but while we're the products of our upbringing and culture to assume that somehow 'our' culture is something to be proud or ashamed of is a bit nuts. It 'just is' who we are, to then start waxing lyrical about it because of our personal engagement with it just plays to our egos, the "wha's like us" pish. Rampant tribalism but in all honesty, I've still got a wee bit of that caveman stuff going on in my head too, I just try and reign it in. I'm not targeting this at you Pandarilla, just quoting you because of the "where you're from" bit, we're from the planet Earth, concentrating on the tiny differences between the people from different countries or regions (or Fife) compared to all the stuff we have in common is looking for things to get shitty about. Once you get past sporting rivalries and cheap point scoring off mates, its all a bit wanky and tribal, I think we need to evolve a bit in that regard. Oh and Fife is braw, well, some of it. 

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I can't believe they continued the tour after Rick Parfitt died, that was quite bad.

(Pie and Bovril rule 17. Do not pass up Status Quo joke opportunity.)

What you're proposing could be burning bridges with a lot of posters.

Do a DNA test, a lot of us are mongrels (I've not to be honest, no interest) but while we're the products of our upbringing and culture to assume that somehow 'our' culture is something to be proud or ashamed of is a bit nuts. It 'just is' who we are, to then start waxing lyrical about it because of our personal engagement with it just plays to our egos, the "wha's like us" pish. Rampant tribalism but in all honesty, I've still got a wee bit of that caveman stuff going on

in my head too, I just try and reign it in. I'm not targeting this at you Pandarilla, just quoting you because of the "where you're from" bit, we're from the planet Earth, concentrating on the tiny differences between the people from different countries or regions (or Fife) compared to all the stuff we have in common is looking for things to get shitty about. Once you get past sporting rivalries and cheap point scoring off mates, its all a bit wanky and tribal, I think we need to evolve a bit in that regard. Oh and Fife is braw, well, some of it. 

Mongrels are from somewhere too! That's my point. Find out about your heritage(s) - the good and the bad.

When you start to think you're somehow better than others then you're fucked. But we're not all just placed on this planet with no back story.

I absolutely believe you can be proud of your roots as well as well as being completely open-minded to every other culture out there.

Just now, pandarilla said:

Mongrels are from somewhere too! That's my point. Find out about your heritage(s) - the good and the bad.

When you start to think you're somehow better than others then you're fucked. But we're not all just placed on this planet with no back story.

I absolutely believe you can be proud of your roots as well as well as being completely open-minded to every other culture out there.

I pretty much agree with you but being proud of your roots/culture or whatever is 'glory hunting', as long as you chose to pigeonhole yourself and then get proud of the achievements of this group you're choosing to associating yourself with is pandering to your own ego. I'm guilty of it myself, I don't consider myself a 'proud Scot' but I consider myself Scottish (although born abroad, go figure) and had run ins over nationalities but that's as much to do with the tribal pish. Look at the whole Trump thing slating the media, I get that he thinks they're "bad", they're not exactly fans of him either but apparently they also hate their country by 'daring' to disagree with 'El Duce'. That he panders to nationalism is scary, a lot of 'isms' are or have the potential to be but while we can spot it in others, some get blindsided by our own "wha's like us" pish, it all comes from the same place.

Yeah but arseholes are going to be arseholes no matter what. It's like saying you don't want to be associated with a football team just because they had some hooligan trouble (like the genuine Chelsea or millwall (or dare I say it airdrie) fans).

Archived